Author Topic: Solo play in MMOs  (Read 5043 times)

Offline Mongoose

• Rikki-Tikki-Tavi
  • Global Moderator
  • This brain for rent.
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Something
I'm not an MMO gamer myself, outside of the currently-defunct Myst Online, but I found this article about the concept of people choosing to play by themselves in a massive multiplayer environment to be pretty interesting.  If I did play those sorts of games, I suspect I'd be in the same boat: I'm a major introvert by nature, and unless I had actual acquaintances playing the game along with me, I'd definitely spend most of my time out doing my own thing.  It's good to see future MMO developers like Bioware taking these sorts of "player nature" questions into consideration.

Offline NGTM-1R

• I reject your reality and substitute my own
  • Syndral Active. 0410.
I see a lot of unwilling loners in EVE. People whose corps have died or are in different TZs. I also see a surprising number who don't want to leave their starter or NPC corps anymore. (Possibly because of the landmines I and others like to bury in their sandboxes occasionally.)
"Load sabot. Target Zaku, direct front!"

A Feddie Story

Offline Blue Lion

• Star Shatterer
Whenever I play an MMO, a lot of it is solo. Getting into big groups and grinding out on schedules is just too much work. And solo games get way too repetitive. MMOs are at least large and have updated content.

Offline Liberator

• Poe's Law In Action
I see a lot of unwilling loners in EVE. People whose corps have died or are in different TZs. I also see a surprising number who don't want to leave their starter or NPC corps anymore. (Possibly because of the landmines I and others like to bury in their sandboxes occasionally.)

Path of least resistance.  It's easier for them to achieve they're goals if they don't have to fool with getting wardec'd ever other week.  If I ever come back, I've got my Abby and a Domi pretty well T2'd out and ready to rock some 4s...in my quiet little friendly NPC corp.  :D
So as through a glass, and darkly
The age long strife I see
Where I fought in many guises,
Many names, but always me.

There are only 10 types of people in the world , those that understand binary and those that don't.

So MMO's aren't even that good for solo play?
That's one more reason for me to not bother.

Offline Mongoose

• Rikki-Tikki-Tavi
  • Global Moderator
  • This brain for rent.
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Something
So MMO's aren't even that good for solo play?
That's one more reason for me to not bother.
...did you even read the article? :p Its whole point is that the Bioware team is taking the problem into account, and trying to ensure that people who do prefer the solo route can still effectively play and be entertained by The Old Republic.  WoW was cited as one of the first MMOs to consider solo players, too, though apparently it isn't quite as effective as it could be.

WoW's a lot better than it was with it's casual content, but realistically to get the fullest out of the game you /have/ to be a raider or mid-top tier pvper.

There is loads of middle ground that people never consider though.
"Neutrality means that you don't really care, cuz the struggle goes on even when you're not there: Blind and unaware."

"We still believe in all the things that we stood by before,
and after everything we've seen here maybe even more.
I know we're not the only ones, and we were not the first,
and unapologetically we'll stand behind each word."

Offline MR_T3D

• Personal Text
WoW's a lot better than it was with it's casual content, but realistically to get the fullest out of the game you /have/ to be a raider or mid-top tier pvper.

There is loads of middle ground that people never consider though.
i find the biggest problem is when they have not only myriad of teirs of levels, but also equipment, which is why i quit such games. play dozens of hours to get a number that lets me play the item game.
one or the other, please.

Well it's generally considered easier to dev up more item based content than level based content, it also lets them control things (like class balance or content balance) more subtly, leveling and item progression are just that, to give a sense of progression, although not seen by most, they are simply a means to an end, they are not the point of the game ;P
That applies to most MMOs.
"Neutrality means that you don't really care, cuz the struggle goes on even when you're not there: Blind and unaware."

Offline CP5670

• Dr. Evil
  • Global Moderator
If you like playing alone, you might as well play a singleplayer RPG instead of an MMO. :p There are no monthly fees and the content is tailored towards a singleplayer experience, in terms of the story, gameplay, and so on.

Offline NGTM-1R

• I reject your reality and substitute my own
  • Syndral Active. 0410.
Except it's not also an integrated application for talking to other people. :P
"Load sabot. Target Zaku, direct front!"

A Feddie Story

Single player with multiple people

Offline TrashMan

• T-tower Avenger. srsly.
  • God-Emperor of your kind!
    • Minecraft
    • FLAMES OF WAR
Seems to me like level grinding and Epic Lootz is what MMO's are all about.

Of all the MMO's I tried, the only one that I somewhat liked is LOTR Online. Mayhaps I should try Champions Online. I hear it's good.
Nobody dies as a virgin - the life ****s us all!

You're a wrongularity from which no right can escape!

Seems to me like level grinding and Epic Lootz is what MMO's are all about.

Of all the MMO's I tried, the only one that I somewhat liked is LOTR Online. Mayhaps I should try Champions Online. I hear it's good.
LOTR is for the most part a clone of WoW which is a clone of EQ which is a clone of AC which is a clone of UO :P
Saying you somewhat like it means you 'somewhat' like the genre.
Some are indeed very grinding and epic lootz focused, others are very pvp and minmax focused, and then there are yet more, nuances in the genre can be quite dramatic.

Unfortunately (*apart from WoW and UO) most of the 'mainstream' ones have nuances I don't get along with.

Offline TrashMan

• T-tower Avenger. srsly.
  • God-Emperor of your kind!
    • Minecraft
    • FLAMES OF WAR
LOTR is for the most part a clone of WoW which is a clone of EQ which is a clone of AC which is a clone of UO :P
Saying you somewhat like it means you 'somewhat' like the genre.

Actually no. I despise WoW.
The reason why LORO stood out was because of the setting (me being a Tolkien fan) and a more singleplayer feeling it had (due to cutscenes and some special missions and stuff..but it was sprinkled lightly in between a lot of grinding and fetch quests)
Nobody dies as a virgin - the life ****s us all!

You're a wrongularity from which no right can escape!

sorry, but the game(play) is basically a carbon copy. ;\

...did you even read the article? :p Its whole point is that the Bioware team is taking the problem into account, and trying to ensure that people who do prefer the solo route can still effectively play and be entertained by The Old Republic.  WoW was cited as one of the first MMOs to consider solo players, too, though apparently it isn't quite as effective as it could be.

Oh yeah I read it. And I've seen the trailer for that game, and was suitably unimpressed.
What exactly is the Old Republic?? A thousand years go by and they use the same buildings, same ships, etcetera and so on. I would've thought they could be a little more creative (and I know the ships aren't exactly the same they're damn near).

And some Boba Fett chick? Fak, give me a break.
Huge pile of fan wank if you ask me.

Offline Flipside

• əp!sd!l£
Thing is, I don't have a problem with Corp-work, but I used to play Eve and found the fact that PvP was forced on you a little annoying. Eve seemed to turn into a game of 'find the exploit', and I lost interest, there were areas of space that were supposed to be 'safe' for players who weren't interested in PvP, but the truth is that people found ways to work around that, from salvage thieves to griefer corps, who'd wardec you on a ransom. Frankly, I don't like being threatened by people I've never met before, be it irl or online.

Personally, I'll always prefer a co-operative form of game to a confrontational one, it's in my nature, and Eve seemed to encourage the latter. I wouldn't mind giving LOTR a go now that there's a free-play option, but the fact is that any game that throws absolutely everyone into the same game-space will always include people who are just there to ruin it for everyone, I'd rather do something like Diablo or Dungeon Siege, where the number of players are limited, but you can choose the game with the ruleset that suits you.

Offline BloodEagle

• Bleeding Paradox!
    • Steam
Personally, I'll always prefer a co-operative form of game to a confrontational one, it's in my nature, and Eve seemed to encourage the latter. I wouldn't mind giving LOTR a go now that there's a free-play option, but the fact is that any game that throws absolutely everyone into the same game-space will always include people who are just there to ruin it for everyone, I'd rather do something like Diablo or Dungeon Siege, where the number of players are limited, but you can choose the game with the ruleset that suits you.

That's been done:P

Offline Flipside

• əp!sd!l£
Yup, I've played D&D, and actually found it quite fun, I'd even consider having a go at LARPing, despite the fact that is, in essence, PvP, but it's not a situation where the other guys run off with your sword, or demand cash from you not to attack, you meet up purely for the purpose of combat, kind of like Unreal Tournament or the like.