Author Topic: Dawn of War 2: Chaos Rising  (Read 6321 times)

Dawn of War 2: Chaos Rising
Not many details so far, but it's worth a look if your a fan of the series. I guess a Chaos campaign was too much to hope for, but whatever.
http://www.dawnofwar2.com/us/home
'yo my domestic skillets, who put swarm torpedoes on the Tev bombers?'
~Nighteyes

Offline NGTM-1R

• I reject your reality and substitute my own
  • Syndral Active. 0410.
Re: Dawn of War 2: Chaos Rising
One of the great problems with the 40k franchise is that, really, they can't show Chaos. Not as it should be. Oh, sure there are lines from the Ultramarines books (particularly Dead Sky, Black Sun) that made me sleep with the lights on for a night, but let's be realistic here: that's only because it's a book and nobody's rating it. You can't do Chaos properly in a game. It'll **** up your rating something awful. You may not even be able to sell it.

Games Workshop has also demonstrated remarkable prudery when it comes to Chaos. Oh, sure, there are Nurgle descriptions to put you off eating for a few hours, and Khorne can get pretty lovingly detailed messy on occasion too. But Tzeentch? Nah. They don't have anything good for that. Probably it's just hard to describe, but by this point it has to be at least partially delibrate since we've got plenty of Lovecraftian Horror writers out there to show how it's supposed to be done. And their description of Slaaneshi stuff is a complete joke. (Which is sad to all the teenagers, sad to me since I could rag on them for outdated sexual mores, and sad from a storytelling standpoint because damn there is a lot of stuff you could do with that whole sensation-enslaved thing which would make even me get really damn angry and want to hunt down and kill Daemonettes as perverted evil freaks...rather than make Slaanesh basically toothless.)

So a Chaos campaign was impossible. They have to limit your viewpoint, to keep the game something they can get rated and therefore sell.
"Load sabot. Target Zaku, direct front!"

A Feddie Story

What's the point of even playing Chaos? They're the same fakkin guys with a different paintjob.

Not that Dawn of War particularly interests me anyway. I stopped caring in the first game after about 4 missions.

Chaos Marines aren't just spiky Marines, they worship the Ruinous Powers and are rewarded with gifts from their masters.  The Thousand Sons are even nothing more than animate suits of armor powered by the trapped souls of their former wearers.  The Emperor's Children are debased in ways you cannot imagine, and slaves to sensation.  The World Eaters are berserkers who lose their sanity in battle and exist only to spill blood in the name of their god.  The Death Guard are blessed by Nurgle with a thousand different diseases and are empowered by their afflictions.  And of course there are Legions that worship Chaos Undivided, and they are boring as frak since they tend to be somewhat disciplined and are essentially Marines with spikes.
17:37:02   Quanto: I want to have sexual intercourse with every space elf in existence
17:37:11   SpardaSon21: even the males?
17:37:22   Quanto: its not gay if its an elf

[21:51] <@Droid803> I now realize
[21:51] <@Droid803> this will be SLIIIIIGHTLY awkward
[21:51] <@Droid803> as this rich psychic girl will now be tsundere for a loli.
[21:51] <@Droid803> OH WELLL.

See what you're missing in #WoD and #Fsquest?

[07:57:32] <Caiaphas> inspired by HerraTohtori i built a supermaneuverable plane in ksp
[07:57:43] <Caiaphas> i just killed my pilots with a high-g maneuver
[07:58:19] <Caiaphas> apparently people can't take 20 gees for 5 continuous seconds
[08:00:11] <Caiaphas> the plane however performed admirably, and only crashed because it no longer had any guidance systems

Offline Ghostavo

• Let it be glue!
    • Twitter
In the end, the whole thing is pointless since Tzeentch has already won.
"Closing the Box" - a campaign in the making :nervous:

Shrike is a dirty dirty admin, he's the destroyer of souls... oh god, let it be glue...

Offline StarSlayer

• Men Kaeshi Do
    • Steam
Joy

blue armor with gold trim Night Lords?
“Think lightly of yourself and deeply of the world”

Offline Stormkeeper

• Interviewer Extraordinaire
  • Boomz!
No. Blue armor gold trim is Thousand Sons.
Ancient-Shivan War|Interview Board

Member of the Scooby Doo Fanclub. And we're not talking a cartoon dog here people!!

You know a lot of people seem to be loving this Dawn of War 2 and everything, but isn't it really just real time X-com without Research, Base Building, player connection to the soldiers, geomap, air to air intercepts, etcetera and so on?? Basically it's a 1/3rd of a game that came out more than 10 years ago.

Offline StarSlayer

• Men Kaeshi Do
    • Steam
No. Blue armor gold trim is Thousand Sons.

I thought thousand sons were light blue?  These fellers look like really dark blue.

Two things.

1.  You are arguing with an inquisitor.  If you want to live, stop.

2.  Thousand Sons are dark blue with gold trim.

17:37:02   Quanto: I want to have sexual intercourse with every space elf in existence

[07:57:32] <Caiaphas> inspired by HerraTohtori i built a supermaneuverable plane in ksp
[07:58:19] <Caiaphas> apparently people can't take 20 gees for 5 continuous seconds
[08:00:11] <Caiaphas> the plane however performed admirably, and only crashed because it no longer had any guidance systems

Offline eliex

You know a lot of people seem to be loving this Dawn of War 2 and everything, but isn't it really just real time X-com without Research, Base Building, player connection to the soldiers, geomap, air to air intercepts, etcetera and so on?? Basically it's a 1/3rd of a game that came out more than 10 years ago.

As an old player's opinion DoW II is a pretty decent game but has very little replay value, even in multiplayer where with the kind of RTT genre mixed with only 4 races, gets stale quickly. The only thing really that sets it apart from the original DoW series is the shiny graphics though.  

Still, looking at the screenshots of CR it appears that every single Mark of Chaos is appearing either in-Campaign or not.

So a Chaos campaign was impossible. They have to limit your viewpoint, to keep the game something they can get rated and therefore sell.
After taking the wikipedia crash course in Chaos, I think I'm beginning to understand what you mean. The Dawn of War games really don't give you any idea of just how ****ed up those guys are.
'yo my domestic skillets, who put swarm torpedoes on the Tev bombers?'
~Nighteyes

Offline StarSlayer

• Men Kaeshi Do
    • Steam
I suppose, the images on the sight reminded me a bit more of this scheme then the Thousand Sons

Though under the videos section of the site the banner has a helmetless chaos marine which is a bit of a non starter for soul bound set of power armor.

Offline redsniper

• Aim for the Top!
Basically it's a 1/3rd of a game that came out more than 10 years ago.

This applies to all modern games.
"Think about nice things not unhappy things.
The future makes happy, if you make it yourself.
No war; think about happy things."   -WouterSmitssm

Hard Light Productions:
"...this conversation is pointlessly confrontational."

Offline TrashMan

• T-tower Avenger. srsly.
  • God-Emperor of your kind!
    • Minecraft
    • FLAMES OF WAR
Dang. Now I want to play Chaos Gate....
Nobody dies as a virgin - the life ****s us all!

You're a wrongularity from which no right can escape!

Few things I heard about Chaos Rising.

1.  The Black Legion are your enemies.

2.  It will have all four types of cult marines as well as various daemons, not just bloodletters.

Offline Scotty

• 1.21 gigawatts!
  • Guns, guns, guns.
Though under the videos section of the site the banner has a helmetless chaos marine which is a bit of a non starter for soul bound set of power armor.

I didn't think that applied to ALL Chaos Marines, just some of the cooler ones.

Offline Flipside

• əp!sd!l£
Give me Grey Wolf Daemon-Hunters.

Problem solved.

Offline StarSlayer

• Men Kaeshi Do
    • Steam
It's a Thousand Sons trait, we where trying to narrow down which traitor legion was being featured since the scheme looked like it could be Thousand Sons or Night Lords.  Apparently blue is the new black if thats actually supposed to be Black Legion.

Offline Stormkeeper

• Interviewer Extraordinaire
  • Boomz!
Actually, not all the Thousand Sons became Rubric Marines. Only those lacking in sorcerous strength or having none at all were turned to dust. Those with significant sorcerous power became even more powerful.

Give me Grey Wolf Daemon-Hunters.

Problem solved.
You mean Grey Knights.

It's a Thousand Sons trait, we where trying to narrow down which traitor legion was being featured since the scheme looked like it could be Thousand Sons or Night Lords.  Apparently blue is the new black if thats actually supposed to be Black Legion.
I thought it was the Black Legion too. I still do, actually.
Ancient-Shivan War|Interview Board

Member of the Scooby Doo Fanclub. And we're not talking a cartoon dog here people!!