Author Topic: Additional Voices (Mike and Mary) Problems...help!?!  (Read 1710 times)

Offline Penfold

Additional Voices (Mike and Mary) Problems...help!?!
In the Launcher's "Speech" Tab there is a radio button to "Add Additional Voices".
This takes you to Microsoft and a download page with 6 files. Reading on, you see a note to download one file "if you want to only add Microsoft Mike and Mary"... the file name is Sp5TTIntXP.exe which unzips to the same filename with extension ".Msm".
Microsoft's alleged instructions do not lead to any method to "install or add" these two voices. Some of the re-directs lead to "cannot find requested page" errors.
I would like to add these additional voices ... I have no "SDK" experience and am somewhat lost (duh)!
Any "instructional help" would be greatly appreciated. I would like some alternative to the default "Sam" voice (which sounds like a very drunk Jeff Bridges)!

-P

Offline FUBAR-BDHR

• Self-Propelled Trouble Magnet
  • Master Drunk
    • 165th Beer Drinking Hell Raisers
Re: Additional Voices (Mike and Mary) Problems...help!?!
Moving this to support since it's not a TBP specific issue and I don't know the answer since I don't use voice. 
No-one ever listens to Zathras. Quite mad, they say. It is good that Zathras does not mind. He's even grown to like it. Oh yes. -Zathras

Offline wes471

If you're still looking for solution then it is very simple, you just chose the wrong file, you need to download SpeechSDK51.exe from that page and it will install everything in it's place and you will have the ability to change voice in freespace 2 launcher.

Offline Penfold

Wes471,

Thanks! I'm on it. Will update when done....

-P

Offline Penfold

Wes471,

You the MAN!!!
Unzipped, followed installer....Bam! Mike and Mary in the Speech Tab of the FSOpen Installer!
Thanks for ID-ing the right file....and...pullin' my head out!
I still think Sam sounds like a drunk Jeff Bridges!

-P

Offline wes471

You're welcome. Mary is the best in my opinion, she has the most understandable voice.