Author Topic: Metroid: The new M  (Read 6377 times)

Offline Retsof

• Sanity is over-rated.
So, I watched the trailer, and I don't really like what I see.  For one thing, in that opening cutscene, Samus is rather weird looking.  Also, It looks like they turned it into an arena game, which I feel is a step down from the FPS Metroid Prime games.  Also, the ingame footage looks kind of crappy graphics wise.  Discuss.  Am I mistaken in my assumptions? ... I hope so.
:::PROUD VASUDAN RIGHTS SUPPORTER:::

"Get off my forum" -General Battuta
I can't help but hear a shotgun cocking with this.

Offline Colonol Dekker

• HLP is my mistress
  • Aken Tigh Dekker- you've probably heard me
    • My old squad sub-domain
Define 'Arena' and trailer link please. . . .
Campaigns I've added my distinctiveness to-
- Blue Planet: Battle Captains
-Battle of Neptune
-Between the Ashes 2
-Blue planet: Age of Aquarius
-FOTG?
-Inferno R1
-Ribos: The aftermath / -Retreat from Deneb
-Sol: A History
-TBP EACW teaser
-Earth Brakiri war
-TBP Fortune Hunters (I think?)
-TBP Relic
-Trancsend (Possibly?)
-Uncharted Territory
-Vassagos Dirge
-War Machine
(Others lost to the mists of time and no discernible audit trail)

Your friendly Orestes tactical controller.

Secret bomb God.
That one time I got permabanned and got to read who was being bitxhy about me :p....
GO GO DEKKER RANGERSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
President of the Scooby Doo Model Appreciation Society
The only good Zod is a dead Zod
NEWGROUNDS COMEDY GOLD, UPDATED DAILY
http://badges.steamprofile.com/profile/default/steam/76561198011784807.png

Offline Retsof

• Sanity is over-rated.
Arena, like soul caliber.  As for the link, I'll get it tomorrow probly, I have to go.

Linky for your viewing pleasure.

Personally, I think it has the potential to be the best 3D Metroid title yet (throwing a freaking Kihunter across the room is really badass). Looks like a prequel, since it appears to take place before Samus became a bounty hunter, during her brief time in the military, and I've always wondered exactly what happened back then.

Potential, of course, is not always achieved. I'm waiting to see what the actual gameplay is like, rather than the eyecandy-filled highlights they always show at E3. Not that those are necessarily bad, but they don't always show what the game will truly be like.
« Last Edit: October 25, 2009, 12:02:27 pm by Dark Hunter »
"You need to believe in things that aren't true. How else can they become?" -DEATH, Discworld

"You can fight like a krogan, run like a leopard, but you'll never be better than Commander Shepard!"

Offline Fenrir

• ?
It's more likely gonna take place in between Super Metroid and Metroid Fusion, as it looks like it's going to explain Samus' relationship with Adam from Fusion.

Except that Adam was her military superior, and she was in the military before she became a bounty hunter, IIRC. As far back as the original Metroid, she has been a bounty hunter, which would make this a prequel.

I agree, though, that it will be fun to see what exactly happened between her and Adam.
"You need to believe in things that aren't true. How else can they become?" -DEATH, Discworld

"You can fight like a krogan, run like a leopard, but you'll never be better than Commander Shepard!"

Offline Fenrir

• ?
Well, looking around for info confirmed what I thought. Wiki says it's gonna be between Super and Fusion. It's not too hard for that to work out since this appears to be a later run-in with Adam (which is why he's like "REMEMBER ME!?" in the trailer <_<). She's contracted by the military all the time so it was bound to happen eventually.
« Last Edit: October 22, 2009, 03:02:59 am by Fenrir »

Offline Colonol Dekker

• HLP is my mistress
  • Aken Tigh Dekker- you've probably heard me
    • My old squad sub-domain
Fusion never happened and the Prime series (including hunters) bite ass.
Campaigns I've added my distinctiveness to-
- Blue Planet: Battle Captains
-Battle of Neptune
-Between the Ashes 2
-Blue planet: Age of Aquarius
-FOTG?
-Inferno R1
-Ribos: The aftermath / -Retreat from Deneb
-Sol: A History
-TBP EACW teaser
-Earth Brakiri war
-TBP Fortune Hunters (I think?)
-TBP Relic
-Trancsend (Possibly?)
-Uncharted Territory
-Vassagos Dirge
-War Machine
(Others lost to the mists of time and no discernible audit trail)

Your friendly Orestes tactical controller.

Secret bomb God.
That one time I got permabanned and got to read who was being bitxhy about me :p....
GO GO DEKKER RANGERSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
President of the Scooby Doo Model Appreciation Society
The only good Zod is a dead Zod
NEWGROUNDS COMEDY GOLD, UPDATED DAILY
http://badges.steamprofile.com/profile/default/steam/76561198011784807.png

Offline TrashMan

• T-tower Avenger. srsly.
  • God-Emperor of your kind!
    • Minecraft
    • FLAMES OF WAR
The whole Metroid series has a following I never could understand.
It started (and still is basicly) a platform shooter.

Yay for deeps, sensible plot and characters. :rolleyes:
Nobody dies as a virgin - the life ****s us all!

You're a wrongularity from which no right can escape!

Offline Fenrir

• ?
Fusion never happened and the Prime series (including hunters) bite ass.
Uuuuuhhhh... yeah. I disagree with just about everything in that sentence. Hunters wasn't all that great, but the others were fantastic games.

Offline Scotty

• 1.21 gigawatts!
  • Guns, guns, guns.
Go play Metroid Prime again TrashMan (the first one specifically).  Then marvel at how awesome it is.

Offline Mongoose

• Rikki-Tikki-Tavi
  • Global Moderator
  • This brain for rent.
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Something
The whole Metroid series has a following I never could understand.
It started (and still is basicly) a platform shooter.

Yay for deeps, sensible plot and characters. :rolleyes:
So what, every single game has to be devoted to a deep plot?  Super Mario Brothers was a terrible example of game design because Mario wasn't on some angst-filled, existentialist quest?

And jeez, people, I thought this was new material you were talking about.  Don't you guys pay attention to E3 stuff when it happens, instead of four months after the fact? :p

I did. I just didn't talk about it here. ;)

Offline Retsof

• Sanity is over-rated.
Thanks for diging up the link Dark.  Uhm, that's all, except for disagreement with Dekker.  :p

Offline TrashMan

• T-tower Avenger. srsly.
  • God-Emperor of your kind!
    • Minecraft
    • FLAMES OF WAR
So what, every single game has to be devoted to a deep plot?  Super Mario Brothers was a terrible example of game design because Mario wasn't on some angst-filled, existentialist quest?

And jeez, people, I thought this was new material you were talking about.  Don't you guys pay attention to E3 stuff when it happens, instead of four months after the fact? :p

Oh, you misunderstand.
Such games can be very fun and addictive - but it amuses me when people discuss the plot and characters of such a title as if it were a grand thing.
The plot of Metroid is just like the plot for Mario - a whole lot of laughs.
Nobody dies as a virgin - the life ****s us all!

You're a wrongularity from which no right can escape!

Offline deathfun

• Hey man. Peace. *Car hits them* Frakking hippies
    • Minecraft
Mario: Save the princess! (again, for the fourth bloody time)
Metroid: Kill! Destroy! Obliterate then set off the self destruct (safe for SR388 in the Gameboy version)! Run!

"No"

Well, Metroid has the advantage of a manga dedicated to Samus's origins. And it helps that the games actually have a continuity, which I believe is unique in Nintendo's major series. Oh yeah, and Fusion had long monologues and conversations with a (sentient) computer that divulged quite a bit of backstory.

I do see your point, Trashman, but it's still fun. There isn't much to the story, but we will discuss what there is, dammit! :p

Mario: Save the princess! (again, for the fourth bloody time)

Oh, she's been saved much more often than four times... so often it's become a running gag in the series that if the princess even appears in a game, she will be kidnapped, no matter how tangential to the main conflict it is (assuming, of course, that it isn't the main conflict in the first place).

Offline Mongoose

• Rikki-Tikki-Tavi
  • Global Moderator
  • This brain for rent.
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Something
The plot of Metroid is just like the plot for Mario - a whole lot of laughs.
Yeahno.  In any iteration, Mario is essentially playing out, "Save the princess, save the world."  Samus, however, has a legitimate storyline connecting all of her titles, including a reasonably-detailed origin story.  It's not exactly Pulitzer-worthy, but it's hardly total fluff, either.  Metroid has been traditionally been viewed as the most mature of Nintendo's original properties, and the fact that it takes its setting and story seriously is a big part of that.

(Damn post-sniper. :p)

Offline redsniper

• Aim for the Top!
Hey, the Primes have story. It just requires reading. :D
"Think about nice things not unhappy things.
The future makes happy, if you make it yourself.
No war; think about happy things."   -WouterSmitssm

Hard Light Productions:
"...this conversation is pointlessly confrontational."

Offline Fenrir

• ?
Exactly. And the Trilogy collection for Wii has an insert that expounds on some background elements of the story as well.