Author Topic: A Question about the NTF  (Read 5514 times)

Offline Colonol Dekker

• HLP is my mistress
  • Aken Tigh Dekker- you've probably heard me
    • My old squad sub-domain
Re: A Question about the NTF
Or they could do it like in Under siege and use a band.
Campaigns I've added my distinctiveness to-
- Blue Planet: Battle Captains
-Battle of Neptune
-Between the Ashes 2
-Blue planet: Age of Aquarius
-FOTG?
-Inferno R1
-Ribos: The aftermath / -Retreat from Deneb
-Sol: A History
-TBP EACW teaser
-Earth Brakiri war
-TBP Fortune Hunters (I think?)
-TBP Relic
-Trancsend (Possibly?)
-Uncharted Territory
-Vassagos Dirge
-War Machine
(Others lost to the mists of time and no discernible audit trail)

Your friendly Orestes tactical controller.

Secret bomb God.
That one time I got permabanned and got to read who was being bitxhy about me :p....
GO GO DEKKER RANGERSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
President of the Scooby Doo Model Appreciation Society
The only good Zod is a dead Zod
NEWGROUNDS COMEDY GOLD, UPDATED DAILY
http://badges.steamprofile.com/profile/default/steam/76561198011784807.png

Offline Blue Lion

• Star Shatterer
Erika Eleniak in a GTVA uniform?

Hold on... I have to go do something

Offline Scotty

• 1.21 gigawatts!
  • Guns, guns, guns.
Related to points about the Perseus earlier this thread: 

Do we have a hard timeframe for how long it took to wipe the floor with the NTF after the deployment of the Perseus?  It might be plausible if the time difference was something like six months instead of one.

Offline Colonol Dekker

• HLP is my mistress
  • Aken Tigh Dekker- you've probably heard me
    • My old squad sub-domain
Erika Eleniak in a GTVA uniform?

Hold on... I have to go do something

No, an NTF one. like Bosches, but with more unbutton.
Campaigns I've added my distinctiveness to-
- Blue Planet: Battle Captains
-Battle of Neptune
-Between the Ashes 2
-Blue planet: Age of Aquarius
-FOTG?
-Inferno R1
-Ribos: The aftermath / -Retreat from Deneb
-Sol: A History
-TBP EACW teaser
-Earth Brakiri war
-TBP Fortune Hunters (I think?)
-TBP Relic
-Trancsend (Possibly?)
-Uncharted Territory
-Vassagos Dirge
-War Machine
(Others lost to the mists of time and no discernible audit trail)

Your friendly Orestes tactical controller.

Secret bomb God.
That one time I got permabanned and got to read who was being bitxhy about me :p....
GO GO DEKKER RANGERSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
President of the Scooby Doo Model Appreciation Society
The only good Zod is a dead Zod
NEWGROUNDS COMEDY GOLD, UPDATED DAILY
http://badges.steamprofile.com/profile/default/steam/76561198011784807.png

Offline deathfun

• Hey man. Peace. *Car hits them* Frakking hippies
    • Minecraft
Realistically impossible. Collie is manned by tens of thousands of Terran and Vasudan crew. NTF managed to slip in saboteurs to down the Collie's FCS while the Iceni slipped through, but I doubt they would have the resources to do any more.

Actually, I put a little more thought into this

What about a separate timeline? This one would have more NTF sympathizers, most of which were working on the Collie during the time it was being built. Maybe they implemented certain measures that when activated, a gas would be put through the air and kill everyone on board.

It could also be taken before it's official crew boarded it. Though it would be well protected, there would have been no crew aboard the collie at the time of seizing it
"No"

Offline Galemp

• Actual father of Samus
  • Ask me about GORT!
    • Steam
    • User page on the FreeSpace Wiki
What about a separate timeline? This one would have more NTF sympathizers, most of which were working on the Collie during the time it was being built. Maybe they implemented certain measures that when activated, a gas would be put through the air and kill everyone on board.

It could also be taken before it's official crew boarded it. Though it would be well protected, there would have been no crew aboard the collie at the time of seizing it

That does sound interesting.
"Anyone can do any amount of work, provided it isn't the work he's supposed to be doing at that moment." -- Robert Benchley

Members I've personally met: RedStreblo, Goober5000, Sandwich, Splinter, Su-tehp, Hippo, CP5670, Terran Emperor, Karajorma, Dekker, McCall, Admiral Wolf, mxlm, RedSniper, Stealth, Black Wolf...

Offline Asakura

Do we have a hard timeframe for how long it took to wipe the floor with the NTF after the deployment of the Perseus?  It might be plausible if the time difference was something like six months instead of one.

About 12 missions between The Sixth Wonder and Endgame including SOC1. I would not expect that to cover a huge span of time.

As for NTF getting hold of the Colossus, I would say it is possible if you started from the groundwork of when it was built. However, it is still not an easy task considering that it was a joint project between the two races, meaning there could easily have been large amounts of Vasudan resistance when they try to commandeer the ship. Also I am doubtful of whether NTF has that many personel and agents within the GTVA, and whether they will have enough manpower as a whole to take the whole ship. Working from before the ship was deployed is a good start, but there will be a lot of details that need to be thought out for it not to sound dumb.
« Last Edit: November 03, 2009, 01:28:21 am by Asakura »

The NTF Perseus missions are all multi missions so snail is quite right.
As for support ships, I'd stick to mainly FS1 Era ships with some Triton's and maybe some GTMers, they wont have any GTGs indeed.
"Neutrality means that you don't really care, cuz the struggle goes on even when you're not there: Blind and unaware."

"We still believe in all the things that we stood by before,
and after everything we've seen here maybe even more.
I know we're not the only ones, and we were not the first,
and unapologetically we'll stand behind each word."

Offline Scotty

• 1.21 gigawatts!
  • Guns, guns, guns.

About 12 missions between The Sixth Wonder and Endgame including SOC1. I would not expect that to cover a huge span of time.

As for NTF getting hold of the Colossus, I would say it is possible if you started from the groundwork of when it was built. However, it is still not an easy task considering that it was a joint project between the two races, meaning there could easily have been large amounts of Vasudan resistance when they try to commandeer the ship. Also I am doubtful of whether NTF has that many personel and agents within the GTVA, and whether they will have enough manpower as a whole to take the whole ship. Working from before the ship was deployed is a good start, but there will be a lot of details that need to be thought out for it not to sound dumb.

SOC 1 is deep undercover.  Deep undercover is something you don't risk for less than a couple months information.  Additionally, a combat mission, on average, every three days will introduce combat fatigue like you wouldn't believe.  I wouldn't put it past Command, but a week or two between missions not explicitly stated to be near back-to-back would be more reasonable.

Offline NGTM-1R

• I reject your reality and substitute my own
  • Syndral Active. 0410.
Two sorties a day would not be considered an unreasonable load for a combat pilot, Scotty.
"Load sabot. Target Zaku, direct front!"

A Feddie Story

Offline Scotty

• 1.21 gigawatts!
  • Guns, guns, guns.
Two sorties a day, maybe.  Two combat missions on the scale of FreeSpace 2?  Decidedly less likely.  Remember that sortie refers to anytime the fighter is launched, not just combat missions.

(Plus, we never have to play any of the "congratulations, you managed to destroy the two enemy patrol craft.  Return to base" missions.)

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
(Plus, we never have to play any of the "congratulations, you managed to destroy the two enemy patrol craft.  Return to base" missions.)

There's one of those in War in Heaven.  :nervous:

Offline Scotty

• 1.21 gigawatts!
  • Guns, guns, guns.
Canon? :rolleyes:

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
Sorry.  :(

Offline deathfun

• Minecraft
Plus, we never have to play any of the "congratulations, you managed to destroy the two enemy patrol craft.  Return to base" missions.
There was the very first FS1 mission where you defended the Orff but that's another subject entirely.
"No"

Offline Droid803

• Trusted poster of legit stuff
  • /人 ◕ ‿‿ ◕ 人\ Do you want to be a Magical Girl?
That's like the first "real" mission anyone flies...EVER.
Assuming that they start with FS1.

Even then, you actually encounter enemies. I'm thinking that some patrol missions you don't even encounter a single thing.
(´・ω・`)
=============================================================

Offline Mongoose

• Rikki-Tikki-Tavi
  • Global Moderator
  • This brain for rent.
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Something
I'd like to see some meta-humor campaign where you fly five or six patrols in a row and don't do a damn thing. :p

Offline Scotty

• 1.21 gigawatts!
  • Guns, guns, guns.
heh, make the first mission 90 minutes of flying straight, then jump back to base :P

Offline Galemp

• Actual father of Samus
  • Ask me about GORT!
    • Steam
    • User page on the FreeSpace Wiki
That would be Microsoft® Flight Simulator 2335.
"Anyone can do any amount of work, provided it isn't the work he's supposed to be doing at that moment." -- Robert Benchley

Members I've personally met: RedStreblo, Goober5000, Sandwich, Splinter, Su-tehp, Hippo, CP5670, Terran Emperor, Karajorma, Dekker, McCall, Admiral Wolf, mxlm, RedSniper, Stealth, Black Wolf...

Offline deathfun

• Minecraft
I was thinking something more anticlimatic

Nearing the end... several massive cap ships jump in the ominously look upon your puny insignificant life!
Dozens of squadrons jump in on you!

Then they all jump out and you're left to your solitude
"No"