Author Topic: AI sometimes refuses to work  (Read 2538 times)

Offline SF-Junky

• Bread can mold, what can you do?
AI sometimes refuses to work
I've sporadically been having this problem for a couple of years now (since I have SCP, to be honest), and I already have opened a thread about this issue a couple of years ago. But this is making me so angry sometimes, that I'd like to bring it up once more.

I'm currently working on a mission where I have two hostile bomber wings jumping in. One of them attacks a station, the other one a Mentu-class cruiser. Both are supposed to disarm their targets. The wing that goes for the station fulfills its work just perfectly. The other one just flys around and attacks targets randomly. The cruiser is not protected. The orders are given to the wing, not to each of its ships.

As I said, I had this problem before that hostile wings just don't do what they are supposed to and fly around and chase any enemy target.

Any suggestions (except "redo the mission")? Any explanations at least why this error occurs sometimes?

Offline Fury

• The Curmudgeon
Re: AI sometimes refuses to work
It doesn't happen to be Artemis. does it? For some reason Artemis is particularly prone to that, I have no idea why or why it would even make a difference what ship is in question.

Offline FUBAR-BDHR

• Self-Propelled Trouble Magnet
  • Master Drunk
    • 165th Beer Drinking Hell Raisers
Try breaking it down and see what happens.  Make a test mission with just the bomber wing and Mentu and see if the same behavior occurs.  If it does try changing the type of ships both for the bombers and the Mentu.  Oh and one big one try with and without the MediaVPs. 

I'm wondering if the bombers just can't get into position to fire on the subsystems. 
No-one ever listens to Zathras. Quite mad, they say. It is good that Zathras does not mind. He's even grown to like it. Oh yes. -Zathras

Offline SF-Junky

I tried all that. I've made numerous tests on this issue and believe me: It appears completely randomly. I just wonder wether I'm the only person around here having this problem or if others have met this as well.

In retail, I never had that problem.

Offline TopAce

• Stalwart contributor
  • FREDder, FSWiki editor, and tester
I noticed that bombers protect themselves more eagerly nowadays... since 3.6.11. I believe. I don't know if we're talking about the exact same thing, since you said it has been happening to you ever since you have the SCP.

All I did was to increase the bombers' attack priority. That helped a bit.
My community contributions - Get my campaigns from here.

I already announced my retirement twice, yet here I am. If I bring up that topic again, don't believe a word.

Offline CP5670

• Dr. Evil
  • Global Moderator
I noticed that bombers protect themselves more eagerly nowadays... since 3.6.11. I believe.

I've seen this in some places too. It goes back to at least the earlier 3.6.10 RCs. In the past, bombers used to go after their target single-mindedly and usually didn't care if they were attacked on the way, but now they break off and fight back if attacked.

These changes in AI behavior are annoying, as they can be hard to detect but subtly break missions that were designed around the old behavior.

Offline NGTM-1R

• I reject your reality and substitute my own
  • Syndral Active. 0410.
All I did was to increase the bombers' attack priority. That helped a bit.

It's long been possible to trigger this sort of behavior with a low attack priority. I did it delibrately in Cleaning Crew to cause them to break off and fight back, and that was ages ago.
"Load sabot. Target Zaku, direct front!"

A Feddie Story

I have a feeling the problem is that the bombers aren't detecting the presence of the Mentu. Perhaps a bug in the AI's awareness or targeting methods?
Fun while it lasted.

Then bitter.

Offline SF-Junky

Well, I implemented a add-goal-sexp with every-time that gives the bomber wing the order to attack so that it is working more or less now. But still this is not very satisfying.

@SCP team members:
Since none of you have replied yet I just wanted to note here that this topic isn't about carping at the SCP. I'd just like to know if this is some sort of (known?) bug or if it was intentional or whatever? ;-)

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
It's a known issue that something is wrong with the AI at the moment. But no one has been able to figure out exactly what.
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

Offline Thaeris

• Can take his lumps
  • Away in Limbo
It's quite simple, really:

The Cylons have contacted SkyNet and are enhancing Shivan androids. As a whole, this is not good.

... I apologise for that, I really do... Sometimes you just can't hold it in, though...  :P
"trolls are clearly social rejects and therefore should be isolated from society, or perhaps impaled."

-Nuke

"Look on the bright side, how many release dates have been given for Doomsday, and it still isn't out yet.

It's the Duke Nukem Forever of prophecies..."

"Jesus saves.

Everyone else takes normal damage.
"

-Flipside

"pirating software is a lesser evil than stealing but its still evil. but since i pride myself for being evil, almost anything is fair game."

"i never understood why women get the creeps so ****ing easily. i mean most serial killers act perfectly normal, until they kill you."

-Nuke

Offline TopAce

• Stalwart contributor
  • FREDder, FSWiki editor, and tester
It's a known issue that something is wrong with the AI at the moment. But no one has been able to figure out exactly what.

Supposing you fix the AI, would missions balanced with this issue in mind become unbalanced?
My community contributions - Get my campaigns from here.

I already announced my retirement twice, yet here I am. If I bring up that topic again, don't believe a word.

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
Possibly. I'd expect the effect to be minor. But they've been balanced against a bug that didn't exist in retail so if we have to pick one side, retail wins.
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]