Author Topic: At all graphic artists...do you still have some old unused sci-fi-graphics left?  (Read 2633 times)

Offline Black Sheep

• Wannabe Composer
At all graphic artists...do you still have some old unused sci-fi-graphics left?
Hi guys,

I'm currently having a game design course at university and we're making some kind of asteroids-clone in XNA. Due to my earlier activities here I've got some decent knowledge of sound design and music but I really lack of anything related to graphical work :(. We're just working in 2D, so we have a need for a very limited number of 2D graphics.

It's like two to four different UFOs, a few asteroids, a star-background, a few nebulas, a planet and a few weapon effects (glowing ball, hits and explosions) and some kind of base (with three to five destruction-stages). Not sure if it's complete, but it's very limited comparing it to the amount of graphics that are being done for a FS2-mod.

Anyway, since the FreeSpace-community has created some of the best graphical work I've ever seen I wonder if you have...some unused stuff left that you would share with us.

There'll be no payment of course, but you'll get a full credit including some "used under authorization"-message to make it look more important.

...so what do you think? Anybody interested?

Regards,
Black Sheep
"Something is rotten in the state of Denmark"
-Hamlet rulez

Offline Retsof

• Sanity is over-rated.
Re: At all graphic artists...do you still have some old unused sci-fi-graphics left?
You've heard of GIMP, right?  That is a good program for that kind of stuff.  I may whip up a little something, how much detail are you working with?
:::PROUD VASUDAN RIGHTS SUPPORTER:::

"Get off my forum" -General Battuta
I can't help but hear a shotgun cocking with this.

Offline Black Sheep

• Wannabe Composer
Re: At all graphic artists...do you still have some old unused sci-fi-graphics left?
It's not about using the program, it's about saving time. :D

Seriously, if I could afford spending time into this, I'd do it....but I just don't have the time...that's why I am asking here.
-Hamlet rulez

Offline Retsof

• Sanity is over-rated.
I may whip up a little something, how much detail are you working with?

Offline Black Sheep

• Wannabe Composer
Sorry, missed that one. :D

The game runs only on one screen without any zooming or scrolling, so the LOD is pretty low. I try to give a few more details on needed sprite sizes when I talk with the tech dude tomorrow. But thank you for interest!
-Hamlet rulez

Offline Black Sheep

• Wannabe Composer
Hi all!
Here is the asset list. It's all 2D-from-above stuff:

Background
* Starfield background or single stars
* A few nebula and planet graphics for free alignment in the background
* maybe other celestial objects for background if you have any

Objects
* 4 different UFOs in the form of a circle (two for red and two for blue team). These are meant to be the player ships. They should be slightly different, so the players can tell them apart.
* A black hole
* A base with three different damage stages.
* Asteroids: they rotate slowly around themselves. We need about 5 to 6 alternate asteroid types. They should look slightly different but should narrow a circular shape.
* Particle shots: The cannon shots of the particle cannon. Can be traces or circles...doesn't matter, but they should kinda glow and look like dangerous shots.

Animations and effects:
* ship explosion: used for the player ship explosion
* particle cannon hit: also a very slight explosion.
* big explosion: when a base is hit an asteroid
* a flash effect: used before explosions and smaller hits. Probably just some kind of glowing circle that we can scale.
* a tractor beam: like the ones seen in Star Trek, but preferable in green. Should be not look too sharp as we want to scale it in width, length and angle. Maybe just some flittering block.
* a tractor beam: like the other tractor beam, but in another color....a bright blue would be fine.

* tractor sphere: the sphere in which the objects are wrapped once they are in the tractor beam.
* UFO engine effect: the UFO's engines can fire in any direction. There should be a red effect and a blue effect (= team color). It should just look like some fire comes out of the UFO in one direction. If it has a circular shape we can rotate it around the UFO, that would be fine.

Note: all graphics preferable as PNGs
-Hamlet rulez

Offline Retsof

• Sanity is over-rated.
I can probably do some of the backgrounds, and the glowy stuff.  Not so good at doing solid objects I'm afraid, but depending on what I feel like I may try the ships too ... Idea, does your game support different classes?  like each team has a fast and light and a slow and heavy?

Offline Topgun

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=1CG93EWD
some suns from waaay back in my noobhood.
some are buggy, but the orange one works perfectly IIRC.

Offline Black Sheep

• Wannabe Composer
I can probably do some of the backgrounds, and the glowy stuff.  Not so good at doing solid objects I'm afraid, but depending on what I feel like I may try the ships too ... Idea, does your game support different classes?  like each team has a fast and light and a slow and heavy?

Glowly stuff would be great. About the ships: no, they are all completely different. It's going to be a very simple four player game, so we do not support different classes. They will have exactly the same properties.
-Hamlet rulez

Offline Black Sheep

• Wannabe Composer

Hey thank you! That's n00bhood? Looks far better than our yellow circles! :D
-Hamlet rulez

Offline Topgun

Hey thank you! That's n00bhood? Looks far better than our yellow circles! :D
awwww, now I feel all warm and fuzy inside.
I might have some explosions for you, they aren't fancy (only 5 frames IIRC), but for a low-res game I think they should be good. let me go look for um.

EDIT:
here it is, only 3 frames lol, but they are gorgeous, if I may say so myself.
it was originally intended to be a muzzle flash, thus the short animation.
http://www.megaupload.com/?d=ANU1SZVQ

oh, and its in .dds format, hope that's not a problem.
« Last Edit: November 09, 2009, 09:34:09 pm by Topgun »

Offline Black Sheep

• Wannabe Composer

awwww, now I feel all warm and fuzy inside.
I might have some explosions for you, they aren't fancy (only 5 frames IIRC), but for a low-res game I think they should be good. let me go look for um.

EDIT:
here it is, only 3 frames lol, but they are gorgeous, if I may say so myself.
it was originally intended to be a muzzle flash, thus the short animation.
http://www.megaupload.com/?d=ANU1SZVQ

oh, and its in .dds format, hope that's not a problem.

We need exactly those for smaller Hits! Perfect! Thank you! :)
Can you also write me a PM with your complete name?
-Hamlet rulez