Author Topic: Serapis - Advanced Interceptor?  (Read 14435 times)

Offline Commander Zane

• Spoot Knight of Anvils

Offline Iranon

Re: Serapis - Advanced Interceptor?
I think the Dragon stood out more in FS2 because you never saw decent firepower from opposing fighters anyway (Prometheus R...), rendering its main disadvantage moot. In FS1, Dragons might have been hard to kill but I never feared them as much as I did HoL Thoths with their 4 Prometheus cannons. If you were flying a Valkyrie you could not afford mistakes against those.

Sure, a Dragon would be nice when outfitted with Terran weaponry. But that's starting to get very speculative... why not request some armour bolted on as well, (it worked for the Terran Mara, without compromising manoeverability), a Serapis retrofitted with Shivan shields and Kayser/Trebuchet compatibility or bombers with 1 Kayser and 1 Morning Star turret.
I'd rather compare craft in their default and proven-compatible state and assume that major upgrades are not feasible on a large scale (e.g. a Terran Mara might be a wonderful thing to fly but a nightmare to service because of mismatched technology).

Offline Asakura

Mind you, I will prefer the Serapis over any other Vasudan light fighter simply because it has an excellent pitch-turn-bank rate and decent gunpoints.

Point in reference. 7 runs through the standard campaign, with the exception of Bearbaiting and High Noon I have only flown on the Seth and Thoth once each and Horus twice. While the armour is paper-thin it is quite a joy to fly as long as you know how to dodge with this thing.

Offline asyikarea51

• -__-||
Probably the n00b way I fly, but I never liked the Serapis. Kept dying anyway even with Maxim cannon on sniper.
Inferno plz
The Power of Nightmares
TheHound: "Nice idea, but I have a thing against announcing campaigns before having them already finished."
G5K: "The flipside of that is that if you don't announce your campaign, yet take too long to finish it, other people may independently come up with some of the same ideas."

Nah, although it does work if you use it well, the serapis is one of the hardest fighters in the game to make work.
Horus is perhaps a little harder though.
"Neutrality means that you don't really care, cuz the struggle goes on even when you're not there: Blind and unaware."

"We still believe in all the things that we stood by before,
and after everything we've seen here maybe even more.
I know we're not the only ones, and we were not the first,
and unapologetically we'll stand behind each word."

Offline Mongoose

• Rikki-Tikki-Tavi
  • Global Moderator
  • This brain for rent.
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Something
To add insult to the injury: A Dragon is completely helpless against anything heavy playing gun turret; GTVA lights still have enough firepower to make this risky.

The Dragon was a nightmare in FS1, but thankfully in FS2 we have a wonderful new weapon that it is totally helpless against: Anti Fighter Beams.

I spent what felt like 5 minutes in FS1 trying to kill the last dragon in one mission cause i was in a herc and couldn't keep the damn thing in weapons range
At that point, the best thing to do is probably to just sit still and let it come to you.  You might be able to get in a missile salvo when it's head-on, and you'll at least be able to throw some primary fire in its direction.

Offline Androgeos Exeunt

• Captain Oblivious
  • Prevents attraction.
    • Wordpress.com Blog
Nah, although it does work if you use it well, the serapis is one of the hardest fighters in the game to make work.
Horus is perhaps a little harder though.

The Horus is only worse off because it has less shields and a crap pitch rate which makes it more of a Vasudan Manticore than any other Vasudan ship in FS1 or FS2.

That aside, the Horus is good. Good speed, and the (crap) placement of its guns means that it is actually better at intercepting bombs simply because they have a large impact area.
My blog

Quote: Tuesday, 3 October 2023 0133 UTC +8, #general
MP-Ryan
Oh you still believe in fairy tales like Santa, the Easter Bunny, and free market competition principles?

Offline Kosh

• A year behind what's funny
If you're going to be flying a wimpy (but speedy) fighter, why not just fly the Pegasus instead?  The speed and agility of the thing is fun if you're only worried about killing snubfighters.

IIRC the Pegasus actually has more amor than any other interceptor.
"The reason for this is that the original Fortran got so convoluted and extensive (10's of millions of lines of code) that no-one can actually figure out how it works, there's a massive project going on to decode the original Fortran and write a more modern system, but until then, the UK communication network is actually relying heavily on 35 year old Fortran that nobody understands." - Flipside

Brain I/O error
Replace and press any key

Offline Androgeos Exeunt

• Captain Oblivious
  • Prevents attraction.
    • Wordpress.com Blog
Yeah, but armour isn't recoverable in-flight.
My blog

Quote: Tuesday, 3 October 2023 0133 UTC +8, #general
MP-Ryan
Oh you still believe in fairy tales like Santa, the Easter Bunny, and free market competition principles?

Offline Iranon

Armour of the Pegasus is between the Terran and Vasudan lights... not spectacular. However, it has decent shields: barely worse than the Perseus', and far better than those of the Serapis/Thoth/Horus. The tech room desription calling it a death box is a blatant lie.

The problem is horrible firepower. You won't get killed but you'll hardly kill anything either.

Offline Commander Zane

• Spoot Knight of Anvils
Hey it can carry the Prometheus S, that's good enough for one bank. :P

Yeah, survivability is no worse (and actually better) than the Horus and Serapis.  A single bank of Prometheus S isn't amazing but it's workable when you carry the single load of Tempests as well.  But besides all that, it's fun to fly =)

Offline Kosh

• A year behind what's funny
Armour of the Pegasus is between the Terran and Vasudan lights... not spectacular. However, it has decent shields: barely worse than the Perseus', and far better than those of the Serapis/Thoth/Horus. The tech room desription calling it a death box is a blatant lie.

The problem is horrible firepower. You won't get killed but you'll hardly kill anything either.

Dual Kaysers will make up for that, at least on Easy you can uswe them like Subachs.

That aside, the Horus is good. Good speed, and the (crap) placement of its guns means that it is actually better at intercepting bombs simply because they have a large impact area.

Actually it's primaries aren't THAT bad for intercepting Shivan bombers, because except for the Nahema and the Shaitan they have huge profiles that are spread out over a large area. A good example is the Nephilim.
"The reason for this is that the original Fortran got so convoluted and extensive (10's of millions of lines of code) that no-one can actually figure out how it works, there's a massive project going on to decode the original Fortran and write a more modern system, but until then, the UK communication network is actually relying heavily on 35 year old Fortran that nobody understands." - Flipside

Brain I/O error
Replace and press any key

Actually it's primaries aren't THAT bad for intercepting Shivan bombers, because except for the Nahema and the Shaitan they have huge profiles that are spread out over a large area. A good example is the Nephilim.

We've soooooooooooooooooo been over this.
"Neutrality means that you don't really care, cuz the struggle goes on even when you're not there: Blind and unaware."

"We still believe in all the things that we stood by before,
and after everything we've seen here maybe even more.
I know we're not the only ones, and we were not the first,
and unapologetically we'll stand behind each word."

Offline Iranon

Dual Kaysers will make up for that, at least on Easy you can uswe them like Subachs.

Problem 1: The Pegasus only has one gun bank (although that does, of course, have 2 guns.)
Problem 2: The Pergasus is not compatible with Kaysers. Prometheus S is the best you get.

Offline Dragon

• Citation needed
  • The sky is the limit.
You had confused Pegasus with the Perseus, Kosh. Perseus is a Terran interceptor which have two gun banks that can carry Kaysers, Pegasus is a stealth fighter you face in one mission in FS campaign and, unfortunately, cannot fly in standard campaign (though get you fly it's Vasudan counterpart, which has larger target profile and isn't as good). It's incompatible with Kaysers and have only one bank, but has paper thin rear profile, superior speed, maneuverability and stealth capabilities, meaning that no aspect missile can lock on you (due to the bug, heatseekers can, but they are easy to dodge) and turrets will not fire at you unless you're either very close, firing weapons, or using afterburner, or there's an AWACS nearby.
Both are fun to fly, but I prefer Pegasus due to it's better speed and ability to outmaneuver most of it's enemies. It lacks in firepower and armour though, making it a flying coffin when there's AAA and flak armed enemy capship nearby (I mean serious business capships, Cain for example, doesn't count and Pegasus can kill it relatively easly. to kill a Fenris though, you have to make good use of your stealth to get to it's blind spots, or AAA fire will shred you).

EDIT: You could fly Pegasus in main campaign mission "Endgame", but it's not recommended and unless you have very specific flight style, there are better fighters for this mission.

Offline Thaeris

• Can take his lumps
  • Away in Limbo
I thought there was a retail mission where you could fly this fighter, though it wasn't at all standard/recommended and wouldn't win you any real benefits.
"trolls are clearly social rejects and therefore should be isolated from society, or perhaps impaled."

-Nuke

"Look on the bright side, how many release dates have been given for Doomsday, and it still isn't out yet.

It's the Duke Nukem Forever of prophecies..."

"Jesus saves.

Everyone else takes normal damage.
"

-Flipside

"pirating software is a lesser evil than stealing but its still evil. but since i pride myself for being evil, almost anything is fair game."

"i never understood why women get the creeps so ****ing easily. i mean most serial killers act perfectly normal, until they kill you."

-Nuke

Offline Dragon

• Citation needed
  • The sky is the limit.
Yes, there was, "Endgame", but it wasn't a good choice there.

Offline Thaeris

• Can take his lumps
  • Away in Limbo
Yalp. I remember that I used it to play a mission in a runthrough of the FS2 main campaign. They had a hard time hitting me, but the darn thing was so sensitive that I couldn't hit them well, either!  :D
"trolls are clearly social rejects and therefore should be isolated from society, or perhaps impaled."

-Nuke

"Look on the bright side, how many release dates have been given for Doomsday, and it still isn't out yet.

It's the Duke Nukem Forever of prophecies..."

"Jesus saves.

Everyone else takes normal damage.
"

-Flipside

"pirating software is a lesser evil than stealing but its still evil. but since i pride myself for being evil, almost anything is fair game."

"i never understood why women get the creeps so ****ing easily. i mean most serial killers act perfectly normal, until they kill you."

-Nuke

You know, I could have sworn I used the Pegasus in more than just Endgame.  Are you sure that completing the SOC missions doesn't unlock it for a few other missions?

Incidentally, the Pegasus isn't even that much weaker than a Perseus in terms of shields and armor.  Too bad the weapons loadout isn't nearly as good but at the speed, agility and stealth is nice.