Author Topic: Bug comeback due to Win7?  (Read 4470 times)

Offline -Norbert-

Bug comeback due to Win7?
I just got some weird situation here.
Back on XP I played through BP 3.6.10 without problems.
Now on Windows 7 I have some issues.
In the 2nd to last mission the music starts, plays for a few seconds and then stops. The same occured a few minutes later, then it stayed quiet.
At the end of the mission, I got an empty briefing and then started the last mission in a damaged Pegasus (even though I was flying an Erinyes before) without wingmates, both things I definately didn't have on my last playthrough on Win XP.

In case it matters I did start this campaign on XP and switched my operating system mid-campaign (right after the series of missions that has you chase the Vishnans).

Offline Topgun

Re: Bug comeback due to Win7?
In case it matters I did start this campaign on XP and switched my operating system mid-campaign (right after the series of missions that has you chase the Vishnans).
That might be it, those bugs are typically caused by bad pilot files, except for the music, I don't know what caused that.

Offline Thaeris

• Can take his lumps
  • Away in Limbo
I've had the same issue on Vista, though I'm not sure the conditions are the same as Norbert's.

If I die or fail the second-to-last mission in BP and restart the mission without restarting FSO, the awesome known as "machinebattle" will only play before the Shivan-Vishnan conversation. It cuts out after that...

The mission is still entirely playable, but less awesome due to a disappointing lack of electro-rock.
"trolls are clearly social rejects and therefore should be isolated from society, or perhaps impaled."

-Nuke

"Look on the bright side, how many release dates have been given for Doomsday, and it still isn't out yet.

It's the Duke Nukem Forever of prophecies..."

"Jesus saves.

Everyone else takes normal damage.
"

-Flipside

"pirating software is a lesser evil than stealing but its still evil. but since i pride myself for being evil, almost anything is fair game."

"i never understood why women get the creeps so ****ing easily. i mean most serial killers act perfectly normal, until they kill you."

-Nuke

The music randomly cuts out in the penultimate mission in my case. No idea what causes it, and AFAIK there are no differences between the times it does play, and the times it doesn't.

Usually it plays with no problems.

EDIT: Oh, I'm playing on Vista, with a pilot file started on Vista.
"You need to believe in things that aren't true. How else can they become?" -DEATH, Discworld

"You can fight like a krogan, run like a leopard, but you'll never be better than Commander Shepard!"

Offline -Norbert-

If I die or fail the second-to-last mission in BP and restart the mission without restarting FSO
Ah that might be it.
Before having those bugs I too had to restart the mission due to getting a bit too close to an exploding shivan bomb....
On the first try the music did play normal, untill my untimely death....

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
Hrm.

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
  • Nothing personal, just tech support.
    • Steam
    • Twitter
I do remember encountering that bug with "Machine" not playing correctly myself, but was unable to reproduce it reliably.
If I'm just aching this can't go on
I came from chasing dreams to feel alone
There must be changes, miss to feel strong
I really need lifе to touch me
--Evergrey, Where August Mourns

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
We should go through it with a debug. Maybe it's a table problem.

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
  • Nothing personal, just tech support.
    • Steam
    • Twitter
Could be, but I'm dubious about that. If it was a tbl error, it would appear every time, I believe. If it is some pilot file weirdness (and frankly, those things are pretty damn fragile; if you look at the code that interacts with it in potentially destructive ways you'll get nightmares), there isn't much we can do about it. Fortunately, we'll get new pilot files real soon nowTM
If I'm just aching this can't go on
I came from chasing dreams to feel alone
There must be changes, miss to feel strong
I really need lifе to touch me
--Evergrey, Where August Mourns

Offline -Norbert-

I just started a new playthrough (this time with a new pilot) to see what happens.
The first thing I encountered was in mission two. After the transport jumps out with the escape pod in tow, the HUD doesn't re-appear by itself, which it did everytime I played this misison so far.

Edit:
Next problem.
In the first mission were you have to follow the duke (right after the Orion vs. Lucifer cutscene) I am inside the jump-point, but can't jump out. I tried flying out and back in, cruising around inside the node and going into the exact center of the node, but still can't activate my jumpdrive.
Restarting the mission now.
On secend try it worked. This time I didn't take the time to hunt down the last Dragons, but jumped immediately after the Duke. Is the mission supposed to have only a short jump-out window?

No more (unknown) bugs encountered up untill and including "Finding Sanctuary"
« Last Edit: November 11, 2009, 06:26:35 am by -Norbert- »

Offline Thaeris

• Can take his lumps
  • Away in Limbo
If I die or fail the second-to-last mission in BP and restart the mission without restarting FSO
Ah that might be it.
Before having those bugs I too had to restart the mission due to getting a bit too close to an exploding shivan bomb....
On the first try the music did play normal, untill my untimely death....

Yalp. Sounds exactly the same as my problem.

If someone else can validate this error, we might give The E and the other dev staff enough clues so as to find the bug in question. And that would be very good indeed.  :yes:
"trolls are clearly social rejects and therefore should be isolated from society, or perhaps impaled."

-Nuke

"Look on the bright side, how many release dates have been given for Doomsday, and it still isn't out yet.

It's the Duke Nukem Forever of prophecies..."

"Jesus saves.

Everyone else takes normal damage.
"

-Flipside

"pirating software is a lesser evil than stealing but its still evil. but since i pride myself for being evil, almost anything is fair game."

"i never understood why women get the creeps so ****ing easily. i mean most serial killers act perfectly normal, until they kill you."

-Nuke

Offline -Norbert-

Just got through "Preserving the Balance" and didn't encounter any new (or old) bugs.
I even managed it, for the first time, to get through "Forced Entry" on 2nd difficulty setting.

Edit:
Nope, the bugs I encountered in universal truth before were not due to the pilot file.
I still have them, even though this pilot was created right before my current playthrough.
Still the missing music bug after restarting the mission.
Also I got an empty debriefing and started the next mission with dead wingmates and in a pegasus (and I restarted FS2 before completing universial truth, so it isn't due to the restart).
As I mentioned before, I didn't have those problems when playing on WinXP 32 big. Only now on Win 7 64 bit did they pop up.
« Last Edit: November 14, 2009, 05:18:29 pm by -Norbert- »