Poll

Should I Make Derelict ][ [Forget about Copyright]?

Yes.  Derelict Fever Lives Again.  I will Offer Help
12 (21.4%)
Yes.  Caught Between a Dichotomy of Helping and Not Helping
23 (41.1%)
No.  We have enough Campaigns
4 (7.1%)
No.  Just No.
17 (30.4%)

Total Members Voted: 56

Voting closed: April 08, 2002, 08:01:33 am

Author Topic: Derelict ][ Plans to See the Light [Again]  (Read 11595 times)

Offline Stryke 9

• Village Person
    Reset count: 4
Derelict ][ Plans to See the Light [Again]
Really? Ever heard of subspace, and the fact that the universe, and even a smallish solar system, is pretty damn big and hard to keep an eye on in the first place?

'Course, subspace IS a cop-out, but I don't see how it would be so hard with it...

Offline ionia23

• "YES, I did finally see 'The Matrix' 12 years late
I loved derelict.  That campaign drove me right up the wall.  The only things I thought it was missing was voice acting and animated cutscenes.

The story was rich and the missions were challenging.  

With some voice acting, new music, a few animated cutscenes, and original music it would have made an excellent expansion pack to FS2, imho.

If you're thinking about a Derelict 2 I'd be glad to contribute some music to it.
"Why does it want me to say my name?"

Offline Anaz

I DIDN'T MAKE IT!!!

(btw..name is Analazon :p)
Arrr. I'm a pirate.

AotD, DatDB, TVWP, LM. Ph34r.

You WILL go to warpstorm...

Offline CP5670

• Dr. Evil
  • Global Moderator

That was probably the main thing I hated about Deralict. It just didn`t make sense that the enemy could sneak that large a force of ships around without someone spotting it.

LOL yeah; that part really had me laughing for a bit, as the evil corporation idea is one of the things that has been done many times in storylines (almost to the point of being cliched), but it doesn't really sound like something that could realistically happen. There were all kinds of things that were not consistent with the main campaign and some story ideas that were downright nonsensical, and overall the campaign did not have the detailed and realistic war/politics/mystery feel of the main campaign. ;) Still, this would have been forgivable if the missions were of high quality, but Derelict failed there as well for the reasons I stated earlier. Maybe my standards are a bit too high, but I like to see the same level of perfection that was in the main campaign in user-designed campaigns. (TPI, anyone? :D)

Offline Nuclear1

Pretty good...............
Derelict was pretty good. The fact that they focused a lot on the Auriga and Morgan Technologies kind of wore off the whole Shivan thing. Why the hell would you make an uber-powerful destroyer like that?
Spoon - I stand in awe by your flawless fredding. Truely, never before have I witnessed such magnificant display of beamz.
Axem -  I don't know what I'll do with my life now. Maybe I'll become a Nun, or take up Macrame. But where ever I go... I will remember you!
Axem - Sorry to post again when I said I was leaving for good, but something was nagging me. I don't want to say it in a way that shames the campaign but I think we can all agree it is actually.. incomplete. It is missing... Voice Acting.
Quanto - I for one would love to lend my beautiful singing voice into this wholesome project.
Nuclear1 - I want a duet.
AndrewofDoom - Make it a trio!

Offline FSW

I haven't finished Derelict, but it is okay so far. I was kind of hoping that everything would be explained later n the game, but according to some of the posts here, baddies will just pop up out of nowhere with no explanation.

Offline Rampage

• Son Of Rampage
  • Urogynaecologist
This is the current plot for Derelict ][:

Missions 1-7 (or 8)
After the Destruction of the Nylathotep, Tau Sigma has been in a state of reconstruction and is prospering thanks to the new wave of Capellan refugees settling in the outer rim of the system and other systems.

You are Alpha 1, a veteran of the 543th Harpies based in Sirius and the central GTVA systems who get transferred to Tau Sigma because of its new rebel problem: the Terran Vasudan Christian Fundamentalists (TVCF).  They are radical Chrisitan cultists who pirates on GTVA convoys and engage in terrorist acts.  You have been ordered to hunt them down and eradicate the group.

Missions 9-14 (or 15)
When the last TVCF station is being destroyed by Alpha wing and the GVC [Unnamed, Yet], the MTD Auriga jumps in and destroys the TVCF depot and ion-cannons your cruiser, you have been ordered to find out the motive(s) behind the Morgan Tech. Corp.

You chase the Auriga into the Tanis Australis system and tracked it down.  Meanwhile, several unknown subspace disturbances has been descovered by recon units in the system.  The MTD Auriga in one mission is found dead in space.  When your bomber wing engages the destroyer, it mysteriously made an intersystem jump.  Command Tracked down the its jump signature and later discovers an undiscovered node.

Missions 16-22
The newly-discovered node is surprisingly a node to another new system with a backdoor node to Sol.  You finally discover how to manipulate this unstable node and travels to Sol after all these years.  The PTMC (Original Descent Seriesis now the dominatrix in Sol.  Morgan Tech. have made an alliance with the PTMC to crush the GTVA.  The PTMC surprisingly have a new weapon, a Hades class destroyer.  Command later found out through GTVI that the rogue GTI faction 30 years ago had known this backdoor node to Sol and sold the schematics of the Hades to the newly-born PTMC for area and mine control.

Alpha wing will now be stationed in Sol as you prepare to take down the PTMC, which you finally do.  Dravis is killed in the battle but the Hades and the Auriga escapes Sol and back into the system connecting Tanis Australis and Sol.  They discover another node which leads into a mysterious nebula.

More Mission Plots Later

Offline Mr. Vega

• Your Node Is Mine
  • The ticket to the future is always blank
Awww man, I had planned to make a seqel with the backdoor to Sol. I'll guess I'll just go ahead anyway. In my campaign the Hammer of Light return. No Shivans though.
Words ought to be a little wild, for they are the assaults of thoughts on the unthinking.
-John Maynard Keynes

Make your campaign anyway, its a good idea and shouldn't be limited to just one campaign because they posted it on HLP first.

Offline Stryke 9

• Village Person
    Reset count: 4
Hah! in my followup to TAC (yeah, right), Sol wipes the floor with the GTA!:p

Want my Sol mods? Be a hard campaign easy, then. Capships as solid as a planet, with 400-odd fighters to a hangar.;7

Offline Stunaep

• Thread Necrotech.... we bring the dead to life!
do it, but please don´t post the entire campaign story in HLPBB. Whats the fun in playing it later. :(
"Post-counts are like digital penises. That's why I don't like Shrike playing with mine." - an0n
Bah. You're an admin, you've had practice at this spanking business. - Odyssey

Offline CP5670

• Dr. Evil
  • Global Moderator
do it, but please don´t post the entire campaign story in HLPBB. Whats the fun in playing it later. :(

:nod:

I think the thing I liked the most about Derelict was the new ways missions played out. Agatheron and Kellan presented their missions in an entirely different way than Volition did with the original FS2 campaign. Some parts of the game, like the dream sequence, were just awesome.

Offline Zeronet

• Hanger Man
Originally posted by Mr. Vega
Awww man, I had planned to make a seqel with the backdoor to Sol. I'll guess I'll just go ahead anyway. In my campaign the Hammer of Light return. No Shivans though.

There are sequels to Derelict, they are called warzone and BWO.
Got Ether?

Originally posted by Zeronet

There are sequels to Derelict, they are called warzone and BWO.

Not really. BWO and Warzone are set in the same universe, but neither of them are intended to be a true sequel.

Offline CP5670

• Dr. Evil
  • Global Moderator
The dream sequence was very neat and innovative, but it can't really be a substitute for the other deficiencies in the campaign. ;) (it was basically what some would call a gimmick, although a very good one nevertheless)

Offline Zeronet

• Hanger Man
Originally posted by VW-Dynamo

Not really. BWO and Warzone are set in the same universe, but neither of them are intended to be a true sequel.

Yeah but "Radical Christian cultists", thats just.... :wtf: :wtf: to me. Think this whole concept of a sequal needs a rethink.
Got Ether?

Offline Vertigo1

• 'Scaper
I rather liked Derelict.  I can't wait till the second one is released.
Gargoyles, Season 1.  Buy it, or DIE! :)

"Professor! This ship is capable of traveling 90 percent the speed of light! Why are we only doing 35 miles an hour!" - Leela
"Because we're in a hurry!" - Professor

"from a purely stastical standpoint japanese men DO have smaller penii on average" - Kazan

Offline Stunaep

• Thread Necrotech.... we bring the dead to life!
Originally posted by CP5670

(I bet I'm going to get flames here as I'm about the only person over at the VBB who doesn't think Derelict is the best campaign out there, but what the heck :p:D)

I prefer Warzone to derelict anytime. Then again, I'm not in the VBB either.

Personally I thought there were many good missions, but some just  sucked plain. Fore example the dream sequence which is just the kind of mission CP refers to
the story should complement the missions in a campaign, not the other way around

exactly. And then there was the final mission, which violated about every rule in the FS universe (summoning knossos', oh please), and finally, if you're gonna put in a lucifer, GIVE IT A SHIP-VULNERABLE TAG!!!!

I liked it though overall...
"Post-counts are like digital penises. That's why I don't like Shrike playing with mine." - an0n
Bah. You're an admin, you've had practice at this spanking business. - Odyssey

Offline Setekh

• Jar of Clay
    • Hard Light Productions
Originally posted by CP5670
:nod:

Blackify the text or something, if you must post it...
- Eddie Kent Woo, Setekh, Steak (of Steaks), AWACS. Seriously, just pick one.
HARD LIGHT PRODUCTIONS, now V3.0. Bringing Modders Together since January 2001.
THE HARD LIGHT ARRAY. Always makes you say wow.