Poll

Should I Make Derelict ][ [Forget about Copyright]?

Yes.  Derelict Fever Lives Again.  I will Offer Help
12 (21.4%)
Yes.  Caught Between a Dichotomy of Helping and Not Helping
23 (41.1%)
No.  We have enough Campaigns
4 (7.1%)
No.  Just No.
17 (30.4%)

Total Members Voted: 56

Voting closed: April 08, 2002, 08:01:33 am

Author Topic: Derelict ][ Plans to See the Light [Again]  (Read 11596 times)

Offline Rampage

• Son Of Rampage
  • Urogynaecologist
Derelict ][ Plans to See the Light [Again]
After 6 months of trying to make time for my followup on Analozon (Misspelling?)'s famous campaign Derelict, I have decided to make a sequel (I discussed this about 8 months before on Hard Light).  I am notw opening the campaign to production and will start producing the missions.  I have the ship mods done already.  Quite interesting storyline.  But I suppose that this campaign will take AT LEAST two years if I do this on my own or people do separate missions for me without collaboration.

Offline Stunaep

• Thread Necrotech.... we bring the dead to life!
campaigns are good. M'kay??
"Post-counts are like digital penises. That's why I don't like Shrike playing with mine." - an0n
Bah. You're an admin, you've had practice at this spanking business. - Odyssey

Offline Ulundel

• Big press poppa
Especially ones like Derelict :yes:

Offline aldo_14

• Gunnery Control
So long as you can match or beat the original.... and that the creators don't object (as it is kind of their literary work)

Offline Razor

Hm Derelict 2. :rolleyes:

I don't know. I played the campaign only once but I think that it should have less dirty language though :rolleyes:

Offline CP5670

• Dr. Evil
  • Global Moderator
Derelict kind of sucked in my opinion, to tell the truth (no offense to the creators), but as Stunaep said, new campaigns are always welcome. ;)

Offline Stunaep

• Thread Necrotech.... we bring the dead to life!
Originally posted by CP5670
Derelict kind of sucked in my opinion, to tell the truth (no offense to the creators),

Really?? From which end? I liked it.
"Post-counts are like digital penises. That's why I don't like Shrike playing with mine." - an0n
Bah. You're an admin, you've had practice at this spanking business. - Odyssey

Offline Mad Bomber

• Booooom
I liked it... there are questions left unanswered after it's over, just like FS2...
"What the hell!? I've got a Snuffleupagus on my scanners! The Snuffleupagus is active!"

Offline Razor

And like which questions?

Offline CP5670

• Dr. Evil
  • Global Moderator
Well, the only major plus point I saw in the campaign were the number of missions, which was extremely high. The story was too implausible in general IMHO for a number of reasons, and some events that occurred during the campaign simply made no sense. (the evil corporation thing, for example, really had me laughing) The mission quality was also well below average, the missions being filled with play-balance issues, event bugs and general plausibility problems. Some of the less interesting "filler missions" intended only to advance the story should have been removed; the story should complement the missions in a campaign, not the other way around. Overall, I was not really impressed by the campaign except for the fact that there were so many missions, but little thought and work seemed to have gone into each one, and I personally would have preferred fewer but better missions.

(I bet I'm going to get flames here as I'm about the only person over at the VBB who doesn't think Derelict is the best campaign out there, but what the heck :p:D)

Offline Zeronet

• Hanger Man
uh. BWO is the sequel. Derelict was good though, very good.
Got Ether?

Offline Stryke 9

• Village Person
    Reset count: 4
Well...

First off, I've seen too many occasions where the sequel to a movie or game is produced simply to profit off of the sucess of the original, but only sucked so bad that it actually devalued the first, good one to say I trust this enterprise. And THAT was a rambling sentence.
Anyway, I'd say Derelict needs no direct sequel. Make a campaign like it, sure, but just DON'T claim it's Derelict revisited, because no matter how good you are (and odds are you aren't quite that good), it won't be. Stylistic differences, you see.

I'd also note that you'd be in for a time trying to get a new campaign launched these days, as we already have...
[counts forums]
:jaw:

...er... more than a dozen, I'd say, and that's just hosted here. Doesn't account for independent runs like BWO, the Bab5 TC, and the Archon campaign. Modders and FREDders are stretched quite thin, and it's getting thinner all the time. If you plan on getting a campaign done, you'd better expect to be doing most of it on your own like me, and thus taking more than twice even your most pessemistic deadline.

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
Originally posted by CP5670
(I bet I'm going to get flames here as I'm about the only person over at the VBB who doesn't think Derelict is the best campaign out there, but what the heck :p:D)

You aren`t the only one. I just keep my head down about it :)
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

Offline Stryke 9

• Village Person
    Reset count: 4
I doubt it. People aren't quite as fanatical here as on the VBB, and tastes would vary, anyway.

Everyone thinks their own campaign is the best ever.:p

Offline Corsair

• Gull Wings Rule
I never finished Derelict. How does it end? I'd be glad to help though, if you remade it!

Oh, and 158th is the best squadron/group of campaigns ever! :D
*runs*
Wash: This landing's gonna get pretty interesting.
Mal: Define "interesting".
Wash: *shrug* "Oh God, oh God, we're all gonna die"?
Mal: This is the captain. We have a little problem with our entry sequence, so we may experience some slight turbulence and then... explode.

Offline Razor

So we are talking about squadrons eh? :D

139th Eagles rule! :p :D ( he he my squadron )

Offline aldo_14

• Gunnery Control
Originally posted by Stryke 9
Well...

First off, I've seen too many occasions where the sequel to a movie or game is produced simply to profit off of the sucess of the original, but only sucked so bad that it actually devalued the first, good one to say I trust this enterprise. And THAT was a rambling sentence.
Anyway, I'd say Derelict needs no direct sequel. Make a campaign like it, sure, but just DON'T claim it's Derelict revisited, because no matter how good you are (and odds are you aren't quite that good), it won't be. Stylistic differences, you see.

I'd also note that you'd be in for a time trying to get a new campaign launched these days, as we already have...
[counts forums]
:jaw:

...er... more than a dozen, I'd say, and that's just hosted here. Doesn't account for independent runs like BWO, the Bab5 TC, and the Archon campaign. Modders and FREDders are stretched quite thin, and it's getting thinner all the time. If you plan on getting a campaign done, you'd better expect to be doing most of it on your own like me, and thus taking more than twice even your most pessemistic deadline.

Good point.  It my be better to hold off any new campaigns to assist in finishing the other ones, where possible.  Plus, that would also free up their staff members ;7

Offline Nico

• Venom
    Parlez-vous Model Magician?
hmm... I liked derelict. Some plot stuff were ridiculous tho ( the Lucifer, it just can't get stuck at one place in a subspace corridor, it has to be sucked all along, and would be lost as soon as the first wing that found it jumped in another system- the "jumping jump gate", my favourite hehehe - the evil corporations with their thousands of fighters :rolleyes: ), but the mood was good, and the dream thiguy was cool.
SCREW CANON!

Offline Bobboau

• Just a MODern kinda guy
    Just MODerately cool
    And MODest too
BWO is Derelict 2, and Warzone 2
Bobboau, bringing you products that work... in theory
learn to use PCS
creator of the ProXimus Procedural Texture and Effect Generator
My latest build of PCS2, get it while it's hot!
PCS 2.0.3

DEUTERONOMY 22:11
Thou shalt not wear a garment of diverse sorts, [as] of woollen and linen together

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
Originally posted by venom2506
my favourite hehehe - the evil corporations with their thousands of fighters :rolleyes:  

That was probably the main thing I hated about Deralict. It just didn`t make sense that the enemy could sneak that large a force of ships around without someone spotting it.
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]