Author Topic: New primary effects  (Read 5329 times)

Offline Woolie Wool

• Fire main batteries
I had originally posted this in the FSPort Upgrade forum but Goober asked me to repost it here.

The original FSPort mediavps from FSPort 3.1 had a number of issues with weapons, including problems with alpha channels making projectiles have dark edges when against a light background. I took the opportunity to make modified weapon effects for the FSPort mediavps last year, and more recently, cleaned the patch up to correct any bugs.

Screenshots

Piff! Piff! Terran ML-16 lasers shoot!

VLL-9 laser.

Disruptor.

Disruptor, now in a brand-new Vasudan flavor!

The Akheton SDG effect by itself looked kind of lame for the Advanced Disruptor. A color shift improved things greatly.

Banshee: Men and women alike prefer particles. This doesn't really do it justice, the particles are similar in number and size to the Kayser's (but a much deeper blue)

The very mention of the ML-9T training laser is enough to send shivers down the spine of a cargo container.

Terran Turret. Surprisingly deadly if you're unshielded.

Terran Huge Turret. Does anyone actually get hit by these things?

Vasudan Turret.

I don't think many people get hit by these, either.

Download:
http://www.sendspace.com/file/3fh6sn

(Ignore the music tbm, that goes to another thing I did where I grabbed high-quality versions of some of the music tracks for FS1 from Nix's archive and inserted them into FSPort.)
16:46   Quanto   ****, a mosquito somehow managed to bite the side of my palm
16:46   Quanto   it itches like hell
16:46   Woolie   !8ball does Quanto have malaria
16:46   BotenAnna   Woolie: The outlook is good.
16:47   Quanto   D:

"did they use anesthetic when they removed your sense of humor or did you have to weep and struggle like a tiny baby"
--General Battuta

Offline Cobra

• Snake on a Cain
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
Re: Upgraded effects for the FSPort mediavps
Sexy.
To consider the Earth as the only populated world in infinite space is as absurd as to assert that in an entire field of millet, only one grain will grow. - Metrodorus of Chios
I wept. Mysterious forces beyond my ken had reached into my beautiful mission and energized its pilots with inhuman bomb-firing abilities. I could only imagine the GTVA warriors giving a mighty KIAAIIIIIII shout as they worked their triggers, their biceps bulging with sinew after years of Ivan Drago-esque steroid therapy and weight training. - General Battuta

Offline Commander Zane

• Spoot Knight of Anvils
V-Disruptor still uses Disruptor.ani as a projectile.

Offline Aardwolf

• Minecraft
"Do fish get thirsty? Take the dumb test now"

You REALLY should just link directly to the images. Pick an image host that allows that, if yours doesn't.

Offline Woolie Wool

• Fire main batteries
V-Disruptor still uses Disruptor.ani as a projectile.

That should be impossible. Check your effects directory if a stray menu ani ended up there.

"did they use anesthetic when they removed your sense of humor or did you have to weep and struggle like a tiny baby"
--General Battuta

Offline Galemp

• Actual father of Samus
  • Ask me about GORT!
    • Steam
    • User page on the FreeSpace Wiki
Thanks for the contribution! I'll take a closer look and see what we can use. Thanks!
"Anyone can do any amount of work, provided it isn't the work he's supposed to be doing at that moment." -- Robert Benchley

Members I've personally met: RedStreblo, Goober5000, Sandwich, Splinter, Su-tehp, Hippo, CP5670, Terran Emperor, Karajorma, Dekker, McCall, Admiral Wolf, mxlm, RedSniper, Stealth, Black Wolf...

Offline Woolie Wool

• Fire main batteries
Well I decided to get Talon1024 to work on some new primary weapon effects for Twist of Fate and possibly FSPort as well, both due to wanting some unique effects, my dislike of many of the current FSPort weapon effects, and the fact that ToF still uses a few Babylon Project bitmaps that I put in (with IPAndrews' permission no less) long before IPAndrews started his drama circus and caused a change in TBP policies. I rather like the results:

ML-16 laser bitmap.

ML-16 firing.

ML-16 linked fire from a GTF Apollo.

VLL-9 laser firing.

Training laser firing.

An additional variant used as a more shield-stripping companion for the Avenger (which has been adjusted to do much less shield damage in ToF--it still damages shields, but at a greatly decreased rate--slightly higher than the Prometheus R. This weapon does around the same damage as the Subach HL-7, with a lot less hull damage than the Avenger). I could see this graphic used as a Reconstruction-era ML-16 replacement/Subach HL-7 predecessor.

Banshee firing.

Banshee bitmap.

If anyone wants these, I'll package them up and upload them.

--General Battuta

Offline Snail

• SC 5
I kind of think that just like the originals, these seem to be lacking in variety apart from color.

The particle spew on the Banshee also looks tacked on as an afterthought.

Otherwise, :yes:

Offline Woolie Wool

• Fire main batteries
Well of the four laser weapons, they're all basically the same technology and design. The Training Laser in Twist of Fate is a lower-powered version of an earlier model of the ML-16, making it pretty much the same weapon, only doing 2 damage per shot instead of 5. I imagine the VLL-9 and ML-16 as using very proven and standardized technology, and arriving at largely the same design with minor performance variations due to that design being extremely reliable and economical. Especially the economical part--the GTA and PVN both have weapons more powerful than the ML-16 and VLL-9 at the beginning of ToF, but they can't afford to equip more than a few elite units with them.
« Last Edit: August 28, 2010, 01:47:22 am by Woolie Wool »

--General Battuta

Offline Galemp

• Actual father of Samus
  • Ask me about GORT!
    • Steam
    • User page on the FreeSpace Wiki
I actually quite like the new ML-16.
"Anyone can do any amount of work, provided it isn't the work he's supposed to be doing at that moment." -- Robert Benchley

Members I've personally met: RedStreblo, Goober5000, Sandwich, Splinter, Su-tehp, Hippo, CP5670, Terran Emperor, Karajorma, Dekker, McCall, Admiral Wolf, mxlm, RedSniper, Stealth, Black Wolf...

Offline Commander Zane

• Spoot Knight of Anvils
I like how they're turning out.

Offline sigtau

• unfortunate technical art assclown
The Prometheus still has issues with it becoming darker around the edges.  However, these effects are fairly brilliant if I do say so myself, so excellent work.
Who uses forum signatures anymore?

Offline Cobra

• Snake on a Cain
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
The Prometheus still has issues with it becoming darker around the edges.  However, these effects are fairly brilliant if I do say so myself, so excellent work.

I like that idea. Gives it a sort of superheated plasma look to it.
To consider the Earth as the only populated world in infinite space is as absurd as to assert that in an entire field of millet, only one grain will grow. - Metrodorus of Chios
I wept. Mysterious forces beyond my ken had reached into my beautiful mission and energized its pilots with inhuman bomb-firing abilities. I could only imagine the GTVA warriors giving a mighty KIAAIIIIIII shout as they worked their triggers, their biceps bulging with sinew after years of Ivan Drago-esque steroid therapy and weight training. - General Battuta

Offline Woolie Wool

• Fire main batteries
The FSPort Prometheus effect could be fixed by removing the alpha channel. However, I would rather have the Prometheus in FSPort use the Prometheus S effect instead.

Is there any reason why someone merged the old effect posts into this thread? I specifically put the new ones in a new thread to keep them away from the old ones and to emphasize that these are new.
« Last Edit: August 28, 2010, 04:13:50 pm by Woolie Wool »

--General Battuta

Is FSport3.2 suppose to use these new textures? I'm still getting the old ones  :confused: