Author Topic: "I don't have enough faith to be an Atheist"  (Read 8876 times)

Offline Kosh

• A year behind what's funny
"I don't have enough faith to be an Atheist"
Seems like this guy is trying to be the next Ted Haggard

Not believing in a Supreme Being takes more faith than believing in one, according to Pastor Rick Warren. "I don't have enough faith to be an atheist," Warren told Fox News anchors Steve Doocy and Martha MacCallum Monday.

"You know, Steve, if I'm walking down a mountain and I see rock out of place and I go 'that's an accident.' If I'm walking down a mountain -- on the trail -- and I find a Rolex that's evidence of design," he explained. "It actually takes more faith not to believe in God than to believe in God."

Warren laughed at the idea that Humanists would place ads in large cities that read "No God?... No problem."

While Warren scoffs at atheists, he seemed to respect every other belief system. "The are 600 million Buddhists in the world. There are 800 million Hindus. There are one and a half billion Muslims and there are 2.3 billion Christians. The actual number of secularists in the world is actually quite small outside of Europe and Manhattan," said Warren. "You know the future of the world -- you may not like this -- is not secularism, it's pluralism. So we better find out what everybody believes."

Bashing on atheists isn't new for the pastor who has also compared gay marriage to pedophilia.

In April of 2007, Warren told Newsweek that he "never met an atheist who wasn't angry" and that "far more people have been killed through atheists than through all the religious wars put together."

"Thousands died in the Inquisition; millions died under Mao, and under Stalin and Pol Pot," Warren said in 2007. "There is a home for atheists in the world today—it's called North Korea. I don't know any atheists who want to go there. I'd much rather live under Tony Blair, or even George Bush."

EDIT: added the rest of the article. Seemed rather short.
"The reason for this is that the original Fortran got so convoluted and extensive (10's of millions of lines of code) that no-one can actually figure out how it works, there's a massive project going on to decode the original Fortran and write a more modern system, but until then, the UK communication network is actually relying heavily on 35 year old Fortran that nobody understands." - Flipside

Brain I/O error
Replace and press any key

Offline iamzack

Re: "I don't have enough faith to be an Atheist"
why are ignorant assholes allowed to make news?
WE ARE HARD LIGHT PRODUCTIONS. YOU WILL LOWER YOUR FIREWALLS AND SURRENDER YOUR KEYBOARDS. WE WILL ADD YOUR INTELLECTUAL AND VERNACULAR DISTINCTIVENESS TO OUR OWN. YOUR FORUMS WILL ADAPT TO SERVICE US. RESISTANCE IS FUTILE.

Offline Mongoose

• Rikki-Tikki-Tavi
  • Global Moderator
  • This brain for rent.
    • Steam
    • Something
And why do people insist on bringing said "news" to our attention? :p

Offline Kosh

• A year behind what's funny
Because unfortunately people like this have a fair amount of sway........
"The reason for this is that the original Fortran got so convoluted and extensive (10's of millions of lines of code) that no-one can actually figure out how it works, there's a massive project going on to decode the original Fortran and write a more modern system, but until then, the UK communication network is actually relying heavily on 35 year old Fortran that nobody understands." - Flipside

Brain I/O error
Replace and press any key

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
Ah, heuristic illusions are wonderful.

Illusory correlation explains so much.

Offline NGTM-1R

• I reject your reality and substitute my own
  • Syndral Active. 0410.
"is not secularism, it's pluralism. So we better find out what everybody believes."

You don't want to know what I believe, over here in my Jungian Agnosticism.
"Load sabot. Target Zaku, direct front!"

A Feddie Story

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
Stalin and Hitler were both religious actually (although it's hard to tell what Stalin was to be honest). So he's wrong on the numbers.
« Last Edit: December 07, 2009, 09:48:55 pm by karajorma »
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

Offline iamzack

Even if they weren't religious, it's important to point out that very few people have ever died in the name of atheism. People die in the name of religion every day.
WE ARE HARD LIGHT PRODUCTIONS. YOU WILL LOWER YOUR FIREWALLS AND SURRENDER YOUR KEYBOARDS. WE WILL ADD YOUR INTELLECTUAL AND VERNACULAR DISTINCTIVENESS TO OUR OWN. YOUR FORUMS WILL ADAPT TO SERVICE US. RESISTANCE IS FUTILE.

Offline Scotty

• 1.21 gigawatts!
  • Guns, guns, guns.
I would call that due to Atheism being less a belief than a lack of one.  It's kind of hard to die in the name of a lack of something. :nervous:

Offline StarSlayer

• Men Kaeshi Do
    • Steam
I would call that due to Atheism being less a belief than a lack of one.  It's kind of hard to die in the name of a lack of something. :nervous:

For Science!
“Think lightly of yourself and deeply of the world”

Offline Nuclear1

Ugh, Rick Warren.

I'd love to have a debate with this asshole about how the human perception of beauty in the environment is more of a result of thousands of years of the human mind attempting to make sense of and find meaning in the world around it (you know, like religion), and not the result of some higher being taking time out of his busy day to make a rock on a mountain look pretty for a part of his creation he knew was going to **** up.

But that would be like arguing with a brick wall.
I would call that due to Atheism being less a belief than a lack of one.  It's kind of hard to die in the name of a lack of something. :nervous:
You apparently missed that South Park episode didn't you? :p

Science damn you, United Atheist Alliance!
« Last Edit: December 07, 2009, 10:05:24 pm by Nuclear1 »
Spoon - I stand in awe by your flawless fredding. Truely, never before have I witnessed such magnificant display of beamz.
Axem -  I don't know what I'll do with my life now. Maybe I'll become a Nun, or take up Macrame. But where ever I go... I will remember you!
Axem - Sorry to post again when I said I was leaving for good, but something was nagging me. I don't want to say it in a way that shames the campaign but I think we can all agree it is actually.. incomplete. It is missing... Voice Acting.
Quanto - I for one would love to lend my beautiful singing voice into this wholesome project.
Nuclear1 - I want a duet.
AndrewofDoom - Make it a trio!

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action

Sure, in much the same way that mental health is less a delusion than an absence of delusions.

Not that I consider faith a delusion, but I want to be careful to steer away from the suggestion that atheists have some kind of gaping hole or absence in their lives.

Offline NGTM-1R

• I reject your reality and substitute my own
  • Syndral Active. 0410.
Not that I consider faith a delusion, but I want to be careful to steer away from the suggestion that atheists have some kind of gaping hole or absence in their lives.

Considering faith is belief in the absence of proof, it's getting pretty close to a classic definition thereof.
"Load sabot. Target Zaku, direct front!"

A Feddie Story

Offline Ford Prefect

• 8D
  • Intelligent Dasein
Funny that he mentions Buddhism in there, considering Buddhism is generally atheistic, and those Buddhist sects that do (sloppily, I would argue) include a vague deity certainly don't consider it a creator.
"Mais est-ce qu'il ne vient jamais à l'idée de ces gens-là que je peux être 'artificiel' par nature?"  --Maurice Ravel

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action

Considering faith is belief in the absence of proof, it's getting pretty close to a classic definition thereof.

Well, okay, yes, 'faith' is a cognitive illusion springing from some elements of our neural hard-wiring, but I am open to others who want to derive value from that illusion. In the end everything's arbitrary, so I don't see it as a bad thing so long as it doesn't lead them to restrict the freedom of others who do not share their particular illusion.

Offline Galemp

• Actual father of Samus
  • Ask me about GORT!
    • Steam
    • User page on the FreeSpace Wiki
I'd reply to this but I don't have faith that Pastor Warren would care.
"Anyone can do any amount of work, provided it isn't the work he's supposed to be doing at that moment." -- Robert Benchley

Members I've personally met: RedStreblo, Goober5000, Sandwich, Splinter, Su-tehp, Hippo, CP5670, Terran Emperor, Karajorma, Dekker, McCall, Admiral Wolf, mxlm, RedSniper, Stealth, Black Wolf...

Offline iamzack

I get annoyed when people think belief is rational. It's not, by definition. Go ahead, believe in the magical father figure in the sky, just don't claim there's a logical basis to it. Geez.

Offline mxlm

The notion that the Soviet and Chinese states are atheistic breaks down the moment you look at what are in effect shrines to Mao and Stalin. It's closer to god-emperor stuff than anything else.
I will ask that you explain yourself. Please do so with the clear understanding that I may decide I am angry enough to destroy all of you and raze this sickening mausoleum of fraud down to the naked rock it stands on.

Offline Nuke

• Ka-Boom!
  • Mutants Worship Me
i personally dont like atheists, i dont like bible thumpers either. really i dont think i like anyone.

The notion that the Soviet and Chinese states are atheistic breaks down the moment you look at what are in effect shrines to Mao and Stalin. It's closer to god-emperor stuff than anything else.

thats not atheism thats communism. marx was a paranoid bastard. he thought everything religions did was to control people. just cause your paranoid doesnt mean their not out to get you.
I can no longer sit back and allow communist infiltration, communist indoctrination, communist subversion, and the international communist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious bodily fluids.

Nuke's Scripting SVN

Offline blackhole

• Still not over the rainbow
  • Destiny can suck it
    • Black Sphere Studios
Why do people continue to argue about this if all of them are too stupid to listen to anyone in the first place?