Author Topic: Game crashing with message ERROR: "Could not load exp04 anim file" at fireball/f  (Read 2271 times)

Game crashing with message ERROR: "Could not load exp04 anim file" at fireball/f
Hi,

I am very excited about this game and spend few hours last couple of days to get it working.

I bought mine from GOG, copied over the contents of the wine folder to ~user/FS2, followed exact instructions from here:
http://www.hard-light.net/forums/index.php/topic,65038.0.html

That included getting from SVN and building both YAL and the fs2_open.

I am able to play the game with really bad FPS using wine.

But, when I try to use the launcher the game just crashes, I get the following error message in the console:
bt_audio_service_open: connect() failed: Connection refused (111)
ERROR: "Could not load exp04 anim file" at fireball/fireballs.cpp:315
AL lib: ALc.c:1368: exit(): closing 1 Device
AL lib: ALc.c:1345: alcCloseDevice(): destroying 1 Context
AL lib: alSource.c:2362: alcDestroyContext(): deleting 5 Source(s)
AL lib: alBuffer.c:1079: exit(): deleting 10 Buffer(s)

I think the crash happens on "ERROR: "Could not load exp04 anim file" at fireball/fireballs.cpp:315".

I am running Ubuntu 9.10 with Intel graphics, how can I get it to work??

Thanks!!
Roman

Re: Game crashing with message ERROR: "Could not load exp04 anim file" at fireball/f
Hi Romansky!

Sorry to hear it's not been as smooth as we would have liked!

Have you had a look at http://www.hard-light.net/wiki/index.php/Guide_to_FS_Open_on_Linux, as I'm pretty sure you don't need to run the engine under Wine - there're linux builds available.
Also, make sure you're running the release build and not the debug build (I'm not sure how they're differentiated under linux, but under windows the debug builds have a trailing 'd'). The debug build contains a lot of debugging stuff which slows it down considerably!

Cue someone with a better idea of Linux FSO (I'm a Windows coder :P ) in 3.. 2.. 1..
STRONGTEA. Why can't the x86 be sane?

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
  • Nothing personal, just tech support.
    • Steam
    • Twitter
Re: Game crashing with message ERROR: "Could not load exp04 anim file" at fireball/f
Can you build and run a debug build, then post the fs2_open.log from ~/.fs2_open/ here?
If I'm just aching this can't go on
I came from chasing dreams to feel alone
There must be changes, miss to feel strong
I really need lifе to touch me
--Evergrey, Where August Mourns

Thanks Porta, I am actually running the Linux build, I tried using wine to see what happens. (its shocking to me that a 10YO game can not be played today even only in software graphics emulation mode..)

Thanks The E, do I have to check out another version via SVN? I did not find a binary fs2_open_d or smt, I only have fs2_open_r in my FS2_OPEN/code directory.
Is there a way to build a debug version?

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
    • Steam
    • Twitter
No, you do not have to check out another version. You just have to run configure with --enable-debug (IIRC; use configure --help to find out what the parameter is).

Got it, Thanks!

Will post back soon..

Attaching the debug file.

The error seems to be shown here:
DDS ERROR: Couldn't open 'exp04_0000' -- DDS is compressed but compression support is not enabled

Please advice!

Cheers
-- Roman

[attachment deleted by admin]
« Last Edit: December 12, 2009, 09:14:52 am by Jeff Vader »

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
    • Steam
    • Twitter
Code: [Select]
Initializing OpenGL graphics device at 1024x768 with 32-bit color...
  Initializing SDL...
  Requested SDL Video values = R: 8, G: 8, B: 8, depth: 24, double-buffer: 1
  Actual SDL Video values    = R: 8, G: 8, B: 8, depth: 24, double-buffer: 1
  OpenGL Vendor     : Tungsten Graphics, Inc
  OpenGL Renderer   : Mesa DRI Mobile Intel® GM45 Express Chipset GEM 20090712 2009Q2 RC3
  OpenGL Version    : 1.4 (2.1 Mesa 7.6)

I would strongly advise you to remove MV_Advanced from your mediavps folder.

Code: [Select]
Unable to find extension "GL_EXT_texture_compression_s3tc".Second, your Card or driver is unable to handle compressed DDS files, which is the real source of the problem. Find a driver version that does, or remove the mediavps completely.

That should take care of the problem, but ultimately, your card is just barely able to handle FS2, and may need an upgrade.

Thanks The E, I started googling on this and it might be possible to hack the driver to do that.. hope this will work..
It seems that the GL_EXT_texture_compression_s3tc is a licensed component that Itel does not have a license for, thus its not included by default.

If I find a helpful post I will be sure to post it here as well..

BTW, its a laptop, cant upgrade graphics :)

Cheers,
-- Roman

Ha!

Got it to work, installed driconf, then in "image quality" tab -> "enable s3tc".

Gona check it out now! :)

Cheers!
« Last Edit: December 12, 2009, 09:15:24 am by Jeff Vader »

(its shocking to me that a 10YO game can not be played today even only in software graphics emulation mode..)

Most folks are amazed the game ran on any platform once they have seen the code (retail) :P
STRONGTEA. Why can't the x86 be sane?