Author Topic: Regarding the ship models and drawings.  (Read 10521 times)

Regarding the ship models and drawings.
Hi again,

Let me start with a bit of background:  I'm a long time model builder. I started off with plastic kits and I've since progressed to scratch-building my own designs from balsa wood.  My collection includes five WC ships (which I'm quite proud of, I might add ;) ).  Building something from scratch as opposed to using a model kit obviously means you have to draw your own plans to work from.  This involved hours of taking measurements from the game manuals, and even from in-game screenshots to get the look right. It was great fun, but my eventual results weren't as accurate as I would have liked.

Suffice it to say, your latest update blew me clean out of the water! Those drawings are exactly the kind of work I laboured for hours to produce. So, here's me, begging on my knees with tears in my eyes: Please, Sir, can I have some more? And from different viewpoints (front, side, top)? And for more ships? Pleeeeeeeaase? If I could in any way gain access to the source material you use to produce these superb designs, I would be eternally grateful.

Humbly yours,

A big WC fan.

EDIT: Here is a link to a Picasa album of my ships.  Let me know if it works.

http://picasaweb.google.com/SchutteJ2/WingCommanderModels#
« Last Edit: January 22, 2011, 05:40:10 am by Herr_Koos »

Offline Tolwyn

• The Admiral
  • Administrator
  • Ridiculously Old Fraud
    • Wing Commander Saga
Re: Regarding the ship models and drawings.
Hello there,

thank you for your kind words. Unfortunately, there are no plans to create any additional drawings at the current stage of the development. It might be an interesting side project once we have more ressources available.
Wing Commander Saga: A Legend Is Reborn | WingCenter

Tolwyn’s reputation for risk taking with other people’s lives was considered  to understate the facts. The admiral’s willingness to sacrifice anyone or anything to achieve his objectives had long been lauded in the popular press. He was “the man who got things done”.- Colonel Blair

No errors, no random CTDs, just pure fun and proof of why getting hit with missiles is a bad thing.
-WC Saga's beta tester

Report Wing Commander Saga bugs with Mantis

If i understand correctly you are not looking for artworks like these in particular but for any sort of 'blue prints' which you can use to take measures from, right? In that case i could easily provide you with some ortho screencaps of the models i made (hellcat, excalibur, thunderbolt, longbow).

Let my know if you're interested!
Regards Roman

Hi,

Thanks for the replies! I would be very much interested, thank you.  Are the in-game models a 100% match for the drawings in terms of accuracy? The WCIII and IV models were a bit off, but I assume this was due to limitations in the game engine.  I'd be very grateful if you could send me some samples.

The drawings are derived from the game models so they should match. how accurate the models are is a bit difficult to tell though. Of course we are trying to stay as close to the original as possible but good reference is sometimes rare...

I understand completely. I any case, I would very much like to take a look at what you have available.  Many thanks, and keep up the great work!

I sent you a pm :)

Received and replied, thank you.

Offline Thaeris

• Can take his lumps
  • Away in Limbo
Herr Koos, would you mind posting an image of one of your WC ship models? I'm curious to see what they look like...  :)
"trolls are clearly social rejects and therefore should be isolated from society, or perhaps impaled."

-Nuke

"Look on the bright side, how many release dates have been given for Doomsday, and it still isn't out yet.

It's the Duke Nukem Forever of prophecies..."

"Jesus saves.

Everyone else takes normal damage.
"

-Flipside

"pirating software is a lesser evil than stealing but its still evil. but since i pride myself for being evil, almost anything is fair game."

"i never understood why women get the creeps so ****ing easily. i mean most serial killers act perfectly normal, until they kill you."

-Nuke

OK, here goes:

Banshee from WC IV.

[attachment deleted by admin]

Excalibur, circa WC IV.

Hellcat V, also the WC IV version.

And finally, the Vampire from WC Prophecy.  One of my favourites!

I also have a partially finished Pakhtahn bomber, which I don't have any pics of.

Offline Thaeris

• Can take his lumps
  • Away in Limbo
Hey, those are pretty cool!

I think your Hellcat is probably my favorite. I'm assuming that those are made of solid balsa, not a frame with a balsa/fabric covering layer...
"trolls are clearly social rejects and therefore should be isolated from society, or perhaps impaled."

-Nuke

"Look on the bright side, how many release dates have been given for Doomsday, and it still isn't out yet.

It's the Duke Nukem Forever of prophecies..."

"Jesus saves.

Everyone else takes normal damage.
"

-Flipside

"pirating software is a lesser evil than stealing but its still evil. but since i pride myself for being evil, almost anything is fair game."

"i never understood why women get the creeps so ****ing easily. i mean most serial killers act perfectly normal, until they kill you."

-Nuke

Offline gevatter Lars

• Another wingnut
    • http://gevatter_lars.tripod.com/
They look pretty nice indeed.
"Yes! That is my plan, and I see nothing wrong with it. I figure that if I stick to a stupid strategy long enough it might start to work."
 - comment to "Robotech: The Masters"

Thanks guys!

The Vampire fuselage is solid balsa. With the other ships I tried to save wood and weight by using a box construction, i.e. the insides are hollow. Its fairly easy to do since most of the ships in WC 1-4 are angular, with plenty of flat surfaces. Prophecy is a whole other story, though..

Offline Aginor

• Spelljammer
Really cool looking ships. Good work!
Member of the Scooby Doo model Fanclub "verticies and splines are the medium and he is the artist."

Looking great indeed. Out of interest: what's their scale?

Well, scale in this case is "whatever works", to be honest.  I tried to stick to a 1cm=1m scale, thus roughly 1:100. The problem is that Kilrathi ships tend to be so much bigger than Confed ones that they very quickly scale to outrageous sizes.  On the flip side, if you build the big ships to manageable size, the smaller ones tend to look minuscule by comparison. So I tend to tweak the scale a bit.

In any case, all the ships pictured range between 20-30cm in length.