Author Topic: Star Trek Online  (Read 4233 times)

Offline Fineus

• ...But you *have* heard of me.
  • Administrator
    • Hard Light Productions
Maybe I'm just not the sort to enjoy MMORPG games... I tried the 30 day trial of WoW though and found it far far easier to get into and indeed enjoyable than this has been. Don't get me wrong, I enjoy space combat and wanted to love the sensation of flying about etc. but it just didn't grab me like I hoped it would.

And honestly, I know I've only completed the "here's your own ship, have fun" missions but they were pretty uninspired and a lot of the time what I was doing didn't make any sense.

For example, one of the last "graduation" missions sees you helping to destroy a damaged Borg cube and a sphere. I joined, destroyed both, but only got a confirmed kill for the sphere. Waited around some more and another Cube/sphere show up - same thing. Finally I head away from the instance then back into it again on impulse power and I get the kill for the Cube. No explanation about why that should be - I'm guessing a bug but with only a couple of weeks to go that's pretty shoddy. I encountered plenty of other bugs along the way as well.

All in all, there's hope but it's not nearly ready yet. It felt like playing an alpha build.

Offline Spoon

• ヾ(´︶`♡)ノ
Controls remain cluttered and there's too much button mashing. I don't know if there's a "continually fire any weapon that can be fired at the enemy" toggle but there should be one, as I found myself mashing the "fire fore/aft phasers" button over and over. The game is half way towards making a decent space combat game, but it doesn't manage it in my eyes.
Right click on the phaser icons toggles them to auto fire.

Also, I highly suggest you at least play a bit more and visit the starbase 24 instance.
Urutorahappī!!

[02:42] <@Axem> spoon somethings wrong
[02:42] <@Axem> critically wrong
[02:42] <@Axem> im happy with these missions now
[02:44] <@Axem> well
[02:44] <@Axem> with 2 of them

Offline Fineus

• Administrator
    • Hard Light Productions
Well that brings up my second problem... it keeps crashing on me. In between level loads it'll load part of the new area and then stop entirely. I'll have to ctrl+alt+del the game and restart it. Then, if I'm lucky, it'll let me in.

Useful to know that right clicking on the phasers auto-fires them though. I'm glad they thought of that. And what happens at Starbase 24? :)

Offline Spoon

• ヾ(´︶`♡)ノ
Massive fleet action
Flying together with 20 other players against a large fleet of klingons is the best part of the game.

I just created a klingon character to check out on things there... There is hardly anything there content wise...
This game needs at least an other year of development before I would think its fit for release... but the way things are these days, release the game first then add content later. The money must flow. Oh and be sure to label it beta to make sure people can't complain too much  :p

The crashing sucks though, I personally only had 1 crash so far and that wasn't while loading. Just server issues (got disconnected once at the last bit of a long quest, had to redo that one completely  :blah: )
Urutorahappī!!

Offline TESLA

• 1.21 gigawatts!
I had to delete the game file couple of times because of 'version mismatch'

Klingons dont have much going for them at the moment

All seems to be very Federation orientated at the moment.

Still fun though..
In order to find his equal, an Irishman is forced
to talk to God.

There are three types of people in this world: those who make things happen, those who watch things happen and those who wonder what happened.

Offline Fineus

• Administrator
    • Hard Light Productions
The crashing sucks though, I personally only had 1 crash so far and that wasn't while loading. Just server issues (got disconnected once at the last bit of a long quest, had to redo that one completely  :blah: )
Yeah, it happened several times in a row the first time I tried to enter the Sol system. I gave up and checked out the forums, found that dropping all graphics to absolute minimum could work. Tried that and it did... but just today I had it happen again in another system so I gave up at that point. Plus last night I went through about an hour of "server busy, try again later" although the game reported that the server was up.

Offline Spoon

• ヾ(´︶`♡)ノ
Yeah that server is busy message is new and if im to believe the message in the launcher they are trying to resolve it. (i'm currently spamming log in attempts)
It wasn't like that before. But yeah it leaves a bad impression when you've hardly had a chance to explore the game.
PvP queues are really long and the actual matches themselves are over before you can blink.

Also the klingon content is so bad, you'll receive "starfleet merrit" when completing klingon quests and the Gorn don't have a description of their species yet in the character creation.
They can't release a game like this  :blah:
Urutorahappī!!

Offline TESLA

• 1.21 gigawatts!
Yeah that server is busy message is new and if im to believe the message in the launcher they are trying to resolve it. (i'm currently spamming log in attempts)
It wasn't like that before. But yeah it leaves a bad impression when you've hardly had a chance to explore the game.
PvP queues are really long and the actual matches themselves are over before you can blink.

Also the klingon content is so bad, you'll receive "starfleet merrit" when completing klingon quests and the Gorn don't have a description of their species yet in the character creation.
They can't release a game like this  :blah:

Still problems.... server more temperamental than a girl on PMS
to talk to God.

There are three types of people in this world: those who make things happen, those who watch things happen and those who wonder what happened.

Offline TrashMan

• T-tower Avenger. srsly.
  • God-Emperor of your kind!
    • Minecraft
    • FLAMES OF WAR
Ships feel...lacking.
Here you are, flying a massive ship, hunderds of meters long with complex subsystems, lots of crewmembers...and it doesn't feel like it.

It's just underwhelming. Bridge Commander did a far better job.
Nobody dies as a virgin - the life ****s us all!

You're a wrongularity from which no right can escape!

Got it last saturday (apparently Atari has begun distributing boxes early, here in switzerland... don't ask me why).
Up until now, I'm enjoying it.

1. Space Combat is very nice :)  Just like I remembered in Starfleet Combat. As someone said, you should definitely try the Fleet Actions... Intense but rewarding, (and I'm not talking loot-wise... who cares about that stuff...)
2. Ground Exploration: not bad, could use some work though: at times I had problems with keeping track of what was happening, everything was too fast. But maybe it's due to the fact that I'm not 16 anymore...
3. Graphic wise it's more than ok. On par to today's standards, but what really stands out, it's the amount of detail. Many small touches that make it a pleasant experience. Try navigating through an asteroid field, or crossing planetary rings... you even get the "wake" effect. I was flabbergasted.

That said, I'm not really sure how "long the content will last", for lack of better words... I mean, I've become more of a "casual" player, as the years have passed, so I'll be having fun for some time (6/12 months). And I would be happy with the Space Combat alone. But I wonder what more hardcore players might think...

Karador@CmdKewin - U.S.S Paradox
----------------------------------------------
GTD Swiss Pride - Orion Class
Swiss 1st Fleet, Sector 32 - Ore Belt - Sol
----------------------------------------------
"I'm an engineer!"

Eve: Since Beta Phase 2
Civilizazion Fan: Seems like forever...
SimCity Fan: SC 2000 is still the best
TT Fan: Since 1995
Switzerland: Since 1291

Offline TESLA

• 1.21 gigawatts!
Spent near an hour defeating klingons in space,

solving ground combat,

defeating klingon Captain in space.

Then, when on the verge of victory, the server fecks up, logs me out, and i have to repeat it again......  :mad:

Ah well, overall i am really enjoying it, land based lag can be annoying, esp in the starbase or memory alpha.

Space combat does look good, detail is nice.

Loads of extras are a nice touch.

Music really suits the game.

Solaris@Seraphs   -    U.S.S Galway
to talk to God.

Offline Fineus

• Administrator
    • Hard Light Productions
Ships feel...lacking.
Here you are, flying a massive ship, hunderds of meters long with complex subsystems, lots of crewmembers...and it doesn't feel like it.

It's just underwhelming. Bridge Commander did a far better job.

Do you know what I really wish for? Something that can give me the same feeling that you get watching the final conflict in Star Trek 2: The Wrath of Khan.

It really feels like two large ships playing cat and mouse. The mention of 2 dimensional thinking is a nice touch and many space sims tend to echo it - only having attacks along a central plain rather than from any angle. I would absolutely love to be in command of a replica Enterprise and in a position to order "Z-minus 10,000 meters. Standby photon torpedoes". It's geeky stuff, but it gives this feeling over absolute control of the ships position in space, its direction and 3D location.