Author Topic: Medal of Honor: 2010  (Read 5126 times)

Offline Dilmah G

• Failed juggling
  • Do try it.
Old news to some

Article: http://www.vg247.com/2009/12/02/medal-of-honor-reboot-announced-for-2010-release/
Trailer: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=84uSl-xBhbI

IMO, article does it more justice than the trailer, which makes it look like an MW:2 rip-off.

Offline Snail

• SC 5
Looks alright actually. I may well buy it.

Offline Dilmah G

• Failed juggling
  • Do try it.
Yeah, the fact they talked to some real soldiers out there crawling in the mud gives me hope we won't see a plot filled with nuclear weapons, Russians in the White House, and Special Forces Soldiers turned International Fugitives. Oh wait, I think I've seen this somewhere.  :D

Offline Rodo

• Custom tittle
  • stargazer
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
was about time.. honestly, the other MOH productions where some big pieces of crap IMO, maybe they can make me change my mind about their franchise with this.
el hombre vicio...

Offline Pred the Penguin

• muahahaha...
    • Minecraft
    • EaWPR
First few were good actually.

Trailer really does make it seem like it has a better plot than MW2.

Offline Snail

• SC 5
Yeah. Keep it simple.

Offline Nuclear1

Trailer really does make it seem like it has a better plot than MW2.

Yeah.  I'm actually sort of excited to see how this turns out actually.

Watching the trailer does sort of make it look like they ripped some MW models (the ATV console looks a lot like the MW2 snow bike's console, plus I know I've since that white pickup in the original MW), but it's mostly trivial stuff.   As long as they can avoid blatantly ripping off MW I'll be looking forward to this.

Only issue I've ever had with MOH is that it's been too tame in the past. 
Spoon - I stand in awe by your flawless fredding. Truely, never before have I witnessed such magnificant display of beamz.
Axem -  I don't know what I'll do with my life now. Maybe I'll become a Nun, or take up Macrame. But where ever I go... I will remember you!
Axem - Sorry to post again when I said I was leaving for good, but something was nagging me. I don't want to say it in a way that shames the campaign but I think we can all agree it is actually.. incomplete. It is missing... Voice Acting.
Quanto - I for one would love to lend my beautiful singing voice into this wholesome project.
Nuclear1 - I want a duet.
AndrewofDoom - Make it a trio!

Offline Snail

• SC 5
I've got nothing against it being an MW without the terrible plot. In fact I would quite enjoy a game like that. It would, however cast doubt on my view of the developers and the franchise in general.

Offline Dilmah G

• Failed juggling
  • Do try it.
Yeah. Keep it simple.
I like overly extravagant storylines. :P

No, but really, I like this because it looks like it's going to be realistic. Telling the story of the soldier, however they put it in the article. Sure, they'll dress it up a bit, but I don't think we need two games revolving around the world at 5 minutes to doomsday.

Offline redsniper

• Aim for the Top!
BAAAHAHAHAA! Any /k/ommandos here will probably recognize the guy on the cover. :lol:
"Think about nice things not unhappy things.
The future makes happy, if you make it yourself.
No war; think about happy things."   -WouterSmitssm

Hard Light Productions:
"...this conversation is pointlessly confrontational."

Offline Colonol Dekker

• HLP is my mistress
  • Aken Tigh Dekker- you've probably heard me
    • My old squad sub-domain
COD beats MOH with it's own soggy limbs, even if MOH was the first to do the genre. (Post Wolfenstein, in a real non-fantasy way of course) :D
Campaigns I've added my distinctiveness to-
- Blue Planet: Battle Captains
-Battle of Neptune
-Between the Ashes 2
-Blue planet: Age of Aquarius
-FOTG?
-Inferno R1
-Ribos: The aftermath / -Retreat from Deneb
-Sol: A History
-TBP EACW teaser
-Earth Brakiri war
-TBP Fortune Hunters (I think?)
-TBP Relic
-Trancsend (Possibly?)
-Uncharted Territory
-Vassagos Dirge
-War Machine
(Others lost to the mists of time and no discernible audit trail)

Your friendly Orestes tactical controller.

Secret bomb God.
That one time I got permabanned and got to read who was being bitxhy about me :p....
GO GO DEKKER RANGERSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
President of the Scooby Doo Model Appreciation Society
The only good Zod is a dead Zod
NEWGROUNDS COMEDY GOLD, UPDATED DAILY
http://badges.steamprofile.com/profile/default/steam/76561198011784807.png

Offline Snail

• SC 5
MW2 had the worst plot in a large budget sequel game I've ever played though.

Offline Colonol Dekker

• HLP is my mistress

No...

Thats Halo 2, or Perfect Dark Zero :p
-Battle of Neptune
-Between the Ashes 2
-FOTG?
-Inferno R1
-TBP EACW teaser
-Earth Brakiri war
-TBP Relic
-Trancsend (Possibly?)
-Uncharted Territory
-Vassagos Dirge
-War Machine

Secret bomb God.
That one time I got permabanned and got to read who was being bitxhy about me :p....

Offline Fineus

• ...But you *have* heard of me.
  • Administrator
    • Hard Light Productions

Not saying you're *wrong* as such, but why was it so bad? I mean ok it had limited twists and turns but it didn't seem terrible as action game plots go.

Offline Colonol Dekker

• HLP is my mistress
<off topic slightly>

Kalifreth, your sigs changed sincetjhese days.

------------------
Alex "Thunder" Avery - ICQ: 57179504
Webmaster: Hard Light Productions
Staffer and P1mp: Ross128   Sounds of Thunder
Fight the future!

Do you got backups of the old sites linked?

-Battle of Neptune
-Between the Ashes 2
-FOTG?
-Inferno R1
-TBP EACW teaser
-Earth Brakiri war
-TBP Relic
-Trancsend (Possibly?)
-Uncharted Territory
-Vassagos Dirge
-War Machine

Secret bomb God.

Offline Dilmah G

• Failed juggling
  • Do try it.

Not saying you're *wrong* as such, but why was it so bad? I mean ok it had limited twists and turns but it didn't seem terrible as action game plots go.
Amen.

I liked the twists and turns, things that keep you on your toes the whole time and demand you react in an unorthodox manner (usually). The Favela's beginning and end levels are a good example, the time you duck under the bouncing betty, the first Humvee segment, etc.

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
To quote Kotaku:

The original Modern Warfare was a colossal entry in the field. It contained thrilling set pieces, an engaging storyline and memorable characters. All the game's sequel needed to do was provide more of the same, and millions would be happy.

But no. Infinity Ward tried to get clever. Tried to turn what had been a reasonably realistic tale of Modern Warfare into a Michael Bay movie. A rugged, lovable SAS Captain became a monologue-happy madman. The "your player is dead" trick was over-used to the point of becoming laughable. The "No Russian" level was an exercise in poorly-envisaged shock tactics, and the game's storyline would have confused Hideo Kojima.

It's not a terrible game by any means, as it still has its moments - particularly when repelling the Russians from the US - but when you look at the gulf in what could/should have been and what we ended up with, it ranks as one of the year's biggest disappointments.

Offline Dilmah G

• Failed juggling
  • Do try it.
I concur, the player character must've walked under some serious ladders before going to work. :P
I see where it's coming from, but I don't think MW:2 would've been nearly as interesting if it had stuck to its MW:1 roots. And besides, COD5 got ripped into as hell because all it did was turn itself into a mod for MW:1. Activision couldn't have risked that with MW:2. Sure, there were better ways to do it, but I'll always be a stickler for big explosions and seat of your pants action sequences. ;)

At least here, we'll hopefully get an uber-realistic game.

Offline Scotty

• 1.21 gigawatts!
  • Guns, guns, guns.
The "your player is dead" trick was over-used to the point of becoming laughable

I laugh every time someone says this, since it only happens once that isn't optional.  It only happens twice if you count the astronaut, which fills the same purpose as Al-Fulani in the first game.  Watching Allen buy the farm is completely optional.

I've heard lots of people say the story was confusing?  What, exactly, was confusing about it? 
Spoiler:
Makarov sets the U.S. up as the fall guys for a thousand dead civvies in Moscow.  Russians get pissed, attacks the U.S.  Gen. Shepard takes a hand-picked taskforce to find and kill Makarov.  To find Makarov, they track down his arms-dealer.  From him, they find who Makarov hates behind reason, and go to spring from jail to lure him out.  To GET to the guy, they disable a gigantic SAM site on an oil rig, which also happens to help the U.S. attack a little bit of Russia, as well.  When they find the guy, it's Price.  Price then spits in Shepards face and EMPs Washington to get the U.S. and Russia to stop killing each other (I admit I don't see the logic behind that, but it isn't hard to follow, story-wise).  Shepard and friends then gear up to take down Makarov by attacking his safehouses.  Player successfully takes safehouse, steals Makarovs operations playbook and all that.  Shepard kills player to tie up loose ends, since "history is written by the victor," and he wants history to be as he says it is.  Soap and Price get shot at by everyone, escape with Nikolai in a C-130.  Soap and Price go after Shepard.  They kill him.  Game ends.

Really, it isn't that hard if you actually listen to what's happening.

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
Activision didn't develop MW2.

Infinity Ward could have upped the ante with MW2 without making the story crap. Case in point: FreeSpace 1 to FreeSpace 2.

Scotty: I understood all that my first time through. The story is awful: implausible, turgid, disconnected, and incoherent, full of levels that do not drive the action forward, and absent any rising tension or increased stakes. It is guilty of auto-mythologizing its characters and of stringing together 'this would be so cool!' setpieces through the use of flimsy narrative excuses. The funny thing is, you actually missed some key points in the story. I'll let you see if you can figure them out.  :)

The your-player-is-dead trick was used at least four times off the top of my head. Recheck your count.

Shame. It could've been good. Like Call of Duty 2, I think it suffered from shortened development time vis a vis MW1. As it was it's no surprise it ended up on so many 'disappointment of the year' lists.
« Last Edit: January 09, 2010, 11:41:10 pm by General Battuta »