Author Topic: "Apparently". . . Why Islam as it stands doesn't belong in this century  (Read 15371 times)

Offline Bobboau

• Just a MODern kinda guy
    Just MODerately cool
    And MODest too
Re: "Apparently". . . Why Islam as it stands doesn't belong in this century
he hasn't changed his position, in fact his position is almost exactly what your last two postwere all about, except he quantified the problem.
Bobboau, bringing you products that work... in theory
learn to use PCS
creator of the ProXimus Procedural Texture and Effect Generator
My latest build of PCS2, get it while it's hot!
PCS 2.0.3

DEUTERONOMY 22:11
Thou shalt not wear a garment of diverse sorts, [as] of woollen and linen together

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
No, he started to parametrize his statements to specific geopolitical situations, and to recognize the state/religion interaction rather than simply endorsing (again, I have it in quotes multiple times) 'Islam = intolerance'.

Let's just stop. This is going nowhere. Kosh can say something when he wakes up, this thread can flame itself until it dies out, and then we can move on.

In the future I'll be sure to just lock this on page 1 as requested.

Offline Galemp

• Actual father of Samus
  • Ask me about GORT!
    • Steam
    • User page on the FreeSpace Wiki
I haven't read the whole thread, but I thought I'd put my two coppers in.

I think the radical Muslims are the only ones treating their religion with the respect that it deserves.
Seriously. If you believed that your religion, was in the service of GOD. Creator of the entire universe and everything in it. Judge of your immortal soul, FOREVER. As in, what you do during your lifetime will determine how happy you are hundreds, millions, trilions of years from now.

After human civilization has fallen, the sun has gone nova, the galaxies have drifted apart, the stars have burnt out, and the very atomic building blocks of matter have decayed and the universe undergoes heat death, YOU personally will be either sitting on golden steps sipping tea with your favorite grandma, or tormented in a lake of fire, depending on what you did during those few decades on Earth.

It's a sobering thought. What possible reason would you NOT have for instantly and totally committing yourself to the worship and service of your deity, and going to any lengths to defend it? I place the fault squarely on those clerics that support violent interpretation of the religion, and none at all on the practitioners of those sects.
"Anyone can do any amount of work, provided it isn't the work he's supposed to be doing at that moment." -- Robert Benchley

Members I've personally met: RedStreblo, Goober5000, Sandwich, Splinter, Su-tehp, Hippo, CP5670, Terran Emperor, Karajorma, Dekker, McCall, Admiral Wolf, mxlm, RedSniper, Stealth, Black Wolf...

Offline Flipside

• əp!sd!l£
Exactly, once the system defines itself as a Hierarchy, there has to be people at the top, there's no point being at the top if you don't get certain benefits from it, and staying at the top requires providing people with a constant reason to need spritiual guidance. The people responsible for that guidance are the source of the problem because they think more often, in my opinion, about what they want the religion to be than what their god wanted it to be.

Nothing wrong with religion, I consider myself religious, though many other religions would define me as 'agnostic' or 'spiritual' or even 'heathenistic', but that is their interpretation, not mine, and it's mine that counts for me personally.

Offline Bobboau

Just MODerately cool
    And MODest too
he tried to explain himself when it became apparent you misunderstood him. if you would have locked it page one then you never would have realized the mistake you and a bunch of other people made.
learn to use PCS
PCS 2.0.3

Thou shalt not wear a garment of diverse sorts, [as] of woollen and linen together

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
He hasn't done any better at explaining himself since then. He dug the hole deeper.

If you're right and we're all just misunderstanding him, then he's criminally bad at explaining himself and needs to work on his posting style.

If everyone else is right and his original posts were actually sadly simplistic and hateful generalizations about an entire religion, well then, that's a problem too.

Either way nobody - except him - is actually defending his original point (Islam = intolerance), which is telling.

A poster like Sushi or Flipside could have cleared this up on his second post in the thread (then gone back and edited post 1 to make it more than blatant trolling.)

Offline Bobboau

Just MODerately cool
    And MODest too
that wasn't his point, that was the words you put in his mouth in this post right here, you've been repeating that line over and over again and he never said it.
learn to use PCS
PCS 2.0.3

Offline iamzack

You are having an argument over an argument. That's stupid.
WE ARE HARD LIGHT PRODUCTIONS. YOU WILL LOWER YOUR FIREWALLS AND SURRENDER YOUR KEYBOARDS. WE WILL ADD YOUR INTELLECTUAL AND VERNACULAR DISTINCTIVENESS TO OUR OWN. YOUR FORUMS WILL ADAPT TO SERVICE US. RESISTANCE IS FUTILE.

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
I agree.

Bobbau, again, here. An unqualified endorsement about all of Islam. "[Islam] openly espouses all kinds of massive intolerance and their society has not evolved past it."

There are no geographic, political, or cultural qualifiers there. That statement applies to Mr. Mohammed the eyeglass store owner as thoroughly as it does to Osama bin Laden.

If you want you can go back to post 1 where Kosh strings together the subject line "Why Islam as it stands doesn't belong in this century" - all of Islam, mind, not Islam in the Middle East or radical Islam - with a specific incident in one country that does not even reflect on all the Muslims of that country or even its governmental policy.

There you go.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2010, 01:39:22 pm by General Battuta »

Offline Commander Zane

• Spoot Knight of Anvils
Redundancy is redundant. :D

Offline Bobboau

Just MODerately cool
    And MODest too
in response to you saying that, he said

"It openly expouses all kinds of massive intolerance and their society has not evolved past it."

he is talking about society.
Christianity had the same problem, we moved past is a while ago, the major Islamic culture(s) have not. that is his point.
learn to use PCS
PCS 2.0.3

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
Reread previous post.

And no, while that may have been the point he intended, that is not the point he made. He did not qualify it to 'major Muslim culture(s)' (even that would be wrong since the majority of Muslims are statistically non-radical.) He made a point about ALL OF ISLAM.

Ironically the points that you are making are largely about Islam in the Middle East which is not the major Muslim society.

The referent of 'it' is Islam. Not Islam in complex with geopolitical factors. Just Islam.

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
Sorry, post edited.

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
And just to drive the point home how thouroughly absurd it is to discuss 'problems with Islam' when referring to the Middle East, the Mideast contains 20% of the world's Muslims. That's it.

Offline Bobboau

Just MODerately cool
    And MODest too
so you are going to wage a 7 page flame war against him because he didn't qualify a single retort properly, and then didn't clarify it as he began to think you were being willful in your misinterpretation of him?

seriously, look at the guys posting history,  what do you really think he was trying to say?
learn to use PCS
PCS 2.0.3

Offline Bobboau

Just MODerately cool
    And MODest too
Mideast is the spiritual home of Islam, pretty much all major Islamic societies are tied to the culture there.

yes I know Indonesia is the most populous Islamic nation.

and I have to go drive 100 miles now, I'll see you later after Kosh has had an opportunity to comment again.
learn to use PCS
PCS 2.0.3

Offline Sushi

• Art Critic

I would disagree with this, but that would be having an argument over an argument over an argument. And even stupider.  :p

Offline Colonol Dekker

• HLP is my mistress
  • Aken Tigh Dekker- you've probably heard me
    • My old squad sub-domain
This conversation has become circular.
<sheldon big bang theory quote>

I give you one page to sell it to me. :)
Campaigns I've added my distinctiveness to-
- Blue Planet: Battle Captains
-Battle of Neptune
-Between the Ashes 2
-Blue planet: Age of Aquarius
-FOTG?
-Inferno R1
-Ribos: The aftermath / -Retreat from Deneb
-Sol: A History
-TBP EACW teaser
-Earth Brakiri war
-TBP Fortune Hunters (I think?)
-TBP Relic
-Trancsend (Possibly?)
-Uncharted Territory
-Vassagos Dirge
-War Machine
(Others lost to the mists of time and no discernible audit trail)

Your friendly Orestes tactical controller.

Secret bomb God.
That one time I got permabanned and got to read who was being bitxhy about me :p....
GO GO DEKKER RANGERSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
President of the Scooby Doo Model Appreciation Society
The only good Zod is a dead Zod
NEWGROUNDS COMEDY GOLD, UPDATED DAILY
http://badges.steamprofile.com/profile/default/steam/76561198011784807.png

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
so you are going to wage a 7 page flame war against him because he didn't qualify a single retort properly, and then didn't clarify it as he began to think you were being willful in your misinterpretation of him?

seriously, look at the guys posting history,  what do you really think he was trying to say?

I'm not here to draw any dispositional conclusions about Kosh. I think he's a perfectly intelligent, reasonable person.

But his framing of this topic, from the very first post, was inflammatory. Worse yet, it ignored the actual complexity of the issue. Saying 'Islam causes radicalism' is like saying 'wood causes fire'. The issue here is geopolitical, not religious.

He should have added qualifiers to his very first post, parametrizing his remarks to a specific region and context. He should have changed his subject line. He should have taken steps to avoid hurting the Muslims reading this thread.

Furthermore, I'm concerned that Kosh's Islam prototype is based on what he reads in the news. A lot of Kosh's opinions seem to be based on the availability heuristic: when pressed for evidence, he provides single anecdotal incidents via news articles (useless), rather than population statistics. This concerns me, because it's inaccurate. This is bolstered by the fact that you'd say things like 'pretty much all major Islamic societies are tied to the culture there'. This is untrue. With 60% of the world's Muslim population in the Asia-Pacific region, you can damn well bet that pretty much all major Islamic societies are tied to the culture in the Asia-Pacific region. A once-in-a-lifetime pilgrimage to Mecca is not the grounds to assume that Asian-Pacific cultures are all somehow linked, in the worst way, to the Mideast.

The reason people think this way about Islam is because most of what they hear about Islam is linked to the Mideast. Again, availability heuristic.

What Kosh could've done to work around this is to point out that states that are uniformly Muslim are problematic. And he'd be right there. The Mideast may only have 20% of the world's Muslims, but something like 90% of the people in that region are Muslim, and so are the countries. That monoculture is definitely problematic.

But he didn't. He failed to include any geopolitical parameters or qualifiers. He failed to point out that his argument applied to radicals, rather than to the guy running my local eyeglasses store, or to the Muslims here on HLP.

If Kosh had focused his arguments on that hotbed of radicalism, he would have been on safe ground. But he made a sweeping generalization that included the 60% of the world's Muslims who live in cosmopolitan, multi-religious societies where they make up only 24% of the population. That betrays bad research, bad understanding, and misguided intent.

In retrospect what should have been done is an immediate lock and a suggestion to try again, but with a better-framed first post and subject line. As it stands it's just absurdly clumsy. Kosh's responses in this thread have done nothing to help him.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2010, 02:13:39 pm by General Battuta »

Offline TESLA

• 1.21 gigawatts!
Some people here, need to seriously go out and get laid!
In order to find his equal, an Irishman is forced
to talk to God.

There are three types of people in this world: those who make things happen, those who watch things happen and those who wonder what happened.