Author Topic: 2010-01-11 - Kicking Off The New Year  (Read 55548 times)

Offline Felix 039

• The One True Noob
Re: 10-01-11 - Kicking Off The New Year
I'm far faster-I've already done it. I understand my mistakes and I sugest you stop this offtopic, because since HT post it is pointless[I mean, HT said everything there was to say]. I have already made fool of myself and now is your turn. And you are somehow making good use of it.

How about you shut up or post something constructive for a change.

---
@Newman: Don't get upset, your stuff are awesome.
---

I see quite a few raiders there... so how many raiders can be "docked" with the basestar at once?
Turning pros into noobs since 1992.
---
Oh look, there's something down here!

No there isn't...

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
All right, I think the whole kobrar thing has been handled. Let's let him be.

Offline Felix 039

• The One True Noob
I want to see scar :P
---

No there isn't...

Offline torc

• Diaspora SFX engineer
your basestar suks!!!! hahaha!!! i am the devil!!! ,,, :wtf:  seryously:congratulations for this amazing work... thanks to people like you we can fly in the marvelous bsg universe... hope to attack one of this monster very soon
indossare una divisa può avere un prezzo alto...ma a volte...è troppo alto!!! Bill Adama

Offline Hotdog

Awesome raptor cockipit!And great Baseship to!Will you be doing the colony as well?
http://en.battlestarwiki.org/wiki/The_Colony

Download Beyond The Red Line
"Life here began out there"-Sacred Scrolls

Offline newman

Surprising enough we do know what the Cylon colony is :P
To answer your question, the colony will be needed for the final campaign that will follow the show. So in short, yes we'll probably have the colony at some point, but not any time soon.
You know what the chain of command is? It's the chain I go get and beat you with 'til ya understand who's in ruttin' command here! - Jayne Cobb

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
To answer your question, the colony will be needed for the final campaign that will follow the show. So in short, yes we'll probably have the colony at some point, but not any time soon.

WAT

Awesome. Very awesome.

I know next to nothing about how Freespace actually works, but is it even possible to have something of that size in the game? It's something like a fifty kilometers along the wide axis. Or is this one of those "we'll cross that bridge when we come to it" things?

Offline StarSlayer

• Men Kaeshi Do
    • Steam

Course the Monastery is much sexier ;)
“Think lightly of yourself and deeply of the world”

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
I know next to nothing about how Freespace actually works, but is it even possible to have something of that size in the game? It's something like a fifty kilometers along the wide axis. Or is this one of those "we'll cross that bridge when we come to it" things?

It's possible. It's just not clear that one could make it look good. But objects of such size have been done.

Well, I'd imagine there could just be a variation of the same trick they used on the show. One model for the whole of the Colony, and a much smaller but more detailed model for the immediate area of the docking port Galactica jumped in front of.

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
That's not quite possible to pull off exactly like that, but detail boxing and LODding - even, maybe, multiple models? - could be used.

Offline Hotdog

I think the colony is almost as big as the deathstar.A little smaller but damn close!

"Thats no moon its a space station!" :lol:

I wonder what the framerate would be on something that large in fs2 engine?I think they could solve that problem by having the model fairly low detailed and just make it look hi detailed by using bump maps and good textures.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2010, 09:15:33 pm by Hotdog »
"Life here began out there"-Sacred Scrolls

Offline Adalla

• So Say We All!
    • Adalla Productions
They say you can measure a society by the way they treat their animals. I think similarly, a game modding community can be measured by how they treat noobs.

So, by this measure, I have a lot of respect for Diaspora Devs and the community here. Unlike other modding communities. I am glad that at least a chance was given to the guy instead of the instant ban boot. Having said this, I'd ban him without second thought if he continuous to criticise without basis and without some sort of valid suggestions for improvement.

I'll take this opportunity to express my own thoughts, and let it be noted that I do not post here often, and the only reason I'd criticize the Dev's works is ONLY to help them make it better or at least consider something from a different perspective. Considering I have supported Kara and his team for over 2 years now through BSGpilots, and that I've actually produced some Battlestar Galactica 3D work myself (granted not much), that my criticism gets taken the good way.

Neuman, first of all, I'm impressed with how you handled yourself there. I know exactly what it means to put literally hundreds of hours of work into something, release it to the public, and then await comments and criticism. I have produced BSG work (notably Fan Videos and some 3D work) and some of it has received exceptional ratings and others not so great ones. One of my YouTube videos has a 3.5 star rating (which I take as it not being good work) while another has I believe the highest 5-star-rating-to-Views ratio of any BSG fan video on YouTube, with over 130 5 star ratings and over 12,000 views and rising. Of course, it doesnt please me greatly when people rate my work badly, but almost always there is a good reason for it because a work is either 5 star or 1 star. I believe in entertainment you either amaze or you fail miserably, there is no in-between.

Anyways, regarding the Basestar.

1. I believe the modeling is absolutely exceptional. Truly there is no one here or anywhere that doubts you are one of the best BSG fan modelers out there. Your base star looks amazing, including your Raider Racks.

2. That noob knows nothing about texturing or modeling or any 3D work, as his posts have proven, and probably 99% of the people here have absolutely no clue what a Specular Map is. Having said that, although your modeling is exceptional, and your texturing looks really amazing at a distance, I must agree that it does not hold up to close shots. Specifically, the "lighting" or white and red boxes on the ship, and indeed the Raider Rack textures do not hold up to close scrutiny. Now, there is probably a good reason why things are the way they are that only the people who actually know what they are doing (the Devs) are aware of. You have indicated many reasons yourself. If there is a way to improve the textures so they hold up to close scrutiny, then great. If not, no problem! It still the best darn base star that has ever graced the gaming world, and the very fact that it has Raider Racks that work is enough as others have said.

3. I have never liked BSG's base star. I have always thought it lacked detail and was textured poorly. Yes, even Zoic's basestar. When a basestar was present in the same scene as a Battlestar or any other ship, it has always looked out of place to me. It always looked a bit fake due to the low level of detail on the texturing and modeling. I'm not sure if a new Basestar was developped for the Plan movie, but those actually looked a lot better to me than the base stars in Season 1-4 of BSG. So, really, even when comparing your base star to Zoic's, well...Zoic's isnt' that great IMO in the first place. Again, just personal opinion. I just think the Basestars remain in the shadow of the incredible models of the Battlestars. Maybe it's just the fact that a Basestar is such an organic model with little detail to begin with, I mean in it's design, which btw, I think it's beautiful.

4. You cannot possibly compare a game-model, which has to be low-poly by nature to maintain frame rates, to pre-rendered 3D work which in theory has no limit on how detailed it has to be. You could have a 50 million poly Basestar with a 20K x 20K texture on it, and it would take maybe 2 years to render a 30 second animation, but it'd certainly look better than a 100,000 poly in-game model on a low res texture. You just cant compare the two.

Having said all this, you have done an absolutely fantastic job on the Basestar, and I look forward to blowing up all your hard work to little bits one day :)

I hope to one day be able to model and texture as well as you.

Keep up the great work.

And since we are on the topic of Basestars...you definitely should check out the render by BSG VFX artist Mojo utilizing the Season 3 Basestar modeled by Pierre Drolet. You can see the missile launch tubes on the edge of the basestar.

Adalla
« Last Edit: January 18, 2010, 11:45:15 pm by Adalla »

Offline Colonol Dekker

• HLP is my mistress
  • Aken Tigh Dekker- you've probably heard me
    • My old squad sub-domain
I'd say a fair few of us know what a spec map are.
Campaigns I've added my distinctiveness to-
- Blue Planet: Battle Captains
-Battle of Neptune
-Between the Ashes 2
-Blue planet: Age of Aquarius
-FOTG?
-Inferno R1
-Ribos: The aftermath / -Retreat from Deneb
-Sol: A History
-TBP EACW teaser
-Earth Brakiri war
-TBP Fortune Hunters (I think?)
-TBP Relic
-Trancsend (Possibly?)
-Uncharted Territory
-Vassagos Dirge
-War Machine
(Others lost to the mists of time and no discernible audit trail)

Your friendly Orestes tactical controller.

Secret bomb God.
That one time I got permabanned and got to read who was being bitxhy about me :p....
GO GO DEKKER RANGERSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
President of the Scooby Doo Model Appreciation Society
The only good Zod is a dead Zod
NEWGROUNDS COMEDY GOLD, UPDATED DAILY
http://badges.steamprofile.com/profile/default/steam/76561198011784807.png

Offline StarSlayer

• Men Kaeshi Do
    • Steam
lvlshot that beast for great justice
“Think lightly of yourself and deeply of the world”

Offline Felix 039

• The One True Noob
Awesome raptor cockipit!And great Baseship to!Will you be doing the colony as well?
http://en.battlestarwiki.org/wiki/The_Colony

Download Beyond The Red Line

That is not scar... thats just a raider with invincible when damage to 65% tag on.
And getting it to turn around and jump was almost as easy as getting Nova killed.
---

No there isn't...

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
  • Nothing personal, just tech support.
    • Steam
    • Twitter
Except that it _is_ Scar. Did you think Birth of a Legend was about you?
If I'm just aching this can't go on
I came from chasing dreams to feel alone
There must be changes, miss to feel strong
I really need lifе to touch me
--Evergrey, Where August Mourns

Offline Felix 039

• The One True Noob
Except that it _is_ Scar. Did you think Birth of a Legend was about you?

Yeah, as the pilot in game.
---

No there isn't...

Offline newman

That was Scar, actually.
You know what the chain of command is? It's the chain I go get and beat you with 'til ya understand who's in ruttin' command here! - Jayne Cobb