Author Topic: minimum specs ?  (Read 5415 times)

Offline captain-custard

• previously known as andicirk
  • one sandwich short of a picnic
hi , i know that you have a playable beta etc and i have seen the screen shots of the ingame play so i was wondering what do you think ( or know ) the minumum specs to play diaspora will be , with and without media vps

so please if you can play the beta on maximum reolution and mediavps etc please can you say what specs you are running

thanks
"Duct tape is like the force. It has a light side, a dark side, and it holds the universe together."

Offline newman

Diaspora will only come out for Nintendo DS. You'll need to set up two in SLI mode to get a good framerate.

Seriously though I was able to run diaspora with no fps slowdowns on my old system - it was an amd x2 4800+, nvidia 8800gts (the 300something MB VRAM version, so the suckier variant), 2 GB ram. But to really answer this question we'll need to do some testing first, and to do that we need to do all the optimizations and finalize all ships with lods etc. Needless to say my new i7 system doesn't have trouble with it either :P
« Last Edit: January 12, 2010, 05:52:19 pm by newman »
You know what the chain of command is? It's the chain I go get and beat you with 'til ya understand who's in ruttin' command here! - Jayne Cobb

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
hi , i know that you have a playable beta etc

We do? :confused:

Newman, have you been hiding stuff again? :p

Seriously though we're nowhere near beta. Our playable version is very alpha at the moment. That said it will probably get faster not slower as the placeholder models get replaced with LODded versions.
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

Offline newman

Yea I heard this playable beta story myself and was wondering who's spreading misinformation. No beta yet, I'm afraid. If anyone tries to tell you differently but is not wearing a Diaspora badge, smack him in the mouth :)
You know what the chain of command is? It's the chain I go get and beat you with 'til ya understand who's in ruttin' command here! - Jayne Cobb

Offline Colonol Dekker

• HLP is my mistress
  • Aken Tigh Dekker- you've probably heard me
    • My old squad sub-domain
Newman your spec and description (suckier version) caused me to lose a little confidence in my own rig.

Is Diaspora comparable to BTRL requirement-wise?
Campaigns I've added my distinctiveness to-
- Blue Planet: Battle Captains
-Battle of Neptune
-Between the Ashes 2
-Blue planet: Age of Aquarius
-FOTG?
-Inferno R1
-Ribos: The aftermath / -Retreat from Deneb
-Sol: A History
-TBP EACW teaser
-Earth Brakiri war
-TBP Fortune Hunters (I think?)
-TBP Relic
-Trancsend (Possibly?)
-Uncharted Territory
-Vassagos Dirge
-War Machine
(Others lost to the mists of time and no discernible audit trail)

Your friendly Orestes tactical controller.

Secret bomb God.
That one time I got permabanned and got to read who was being bitxhy about me :p....
GO GO DEKKER RANGERSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
President of the Scooby Doo Model Appreciation Society
The only good Zod is a dead Zod
NEWGROUNDS COMEDY GOLD, UPDATED DAILY
http://badges.steamprofile.com/profile/default/steam/76561198011784807.png

Offline Echelon9

...i was wondering what do you think ( or know ) the minumum specs to play diaspora will be , with and without media vps

... and mediavps etc
For clarification Diaspora will be a totally standalone release, which will use the FS2_Open SCP engine. You won't be using the mediavps with an install of Diaspora, as it will be totally self-contained. Players won't even need to have Freespace 2.

Offline captain-custard

• previously known as andicirk
  • one sandwich short of a picnic
hi , i know that you have a playable beta etc

We do? :confused:

Newman, have you been hiding stuff again? :p

Seriously though we're nowhere near beta. Our playable version is very alpha at the moment. That said it will probably get faster not slower as the placeholder models get replaced with LODded versions.

sorry for my insinuations that you had a playable beta ( i guess i was just hoping)

...i was wondering what do you think ( or know ) the minumum specs to play diaspora will be , with and without media vps

... and mediavps etc
For clarification Diaspora will be a totally standalone release, which will use the FS2_Open SCP engine. You won't be using the mediavps with an install of Diaspora, as it will be totally self-contained. Players won't even need to have Freespace 2.

i realise tht this is a stand alone , i used the words "mediavps" also hopefully , hoping that there would be a choice between playing at normal spec  and "mediavps"  spec , to allow ppl with dead dog systems like me to play....

and p.s

yes it was newman , he even offered to email me a link to download what you have todate  for 20€

thanks
"Duct tape is like the force. It has a light side, a dark side, and it holds the universe together."

Offline Ace

• Truth of Babel
    • http://www.lordofrigel.com
Newman your spec and description (suckier version) caused me to lose a little confidence in my own rig.

Is Diaspora comparable to BTRL requirement-wise?

Don't quote me on this, but overall off-the-cuff: We'll likely have higher system requirement in singleplayer due to the inclusion of capital ships and larger set pieces. But overall for multiplayer the requirements should be similar. (models are more detailed, but also more optimized)
Ace
Self-plagiarism is style.
-Alfred Hitchcock

Offline newman

and p.s

yes it was newman , he even offered to email me a link to download what you have todate  for 20€

thanks

20€?! That's just insulting.. :)

To be clear I just gave the specs of my old rig that ran it smoothly. I never said it was the minimal sys requirements and that you couldn't go lower. But like I said to really find this out we need to test, and to test we need to finalize all ships.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2010, 04:48:46 am by newman »

Offline Echelon9

The code base of the FS2_Open SCP engine is also undergoing overhauls in some performance critical sections during the current 3.6.11 development process.

So while LOD's and improved models will make the game run better, we also see occasional step-change improvements in FPS while the engine is in flux. It currently makes it pretty hard to know what the final requirements will be like, before an engine build for R1 is finalised.

Offline Colonol Dekker

• HLP is my mistress
Well i'm sure you're inundated with offers to beta-test. I'll just throw my hat in the pile too.

What's the estimated download size? Based on projections? ;)

-Battle of Neptune
-Between the Ashes 2
-FOTG?
-Inferno R1
-TBP EACW teaser
-Earth Brakiri war
-TBP Relic
-Trancsend (Possibly?)
-Uncharted Territory
-Vassagos Dirge
-War Machine

Secret bomb God.
That one time I got permabanned and got to read who was being bitxhy about me :p....

Offline Flipside

• əp!sd!l£
Start at 'big' and move upwards from there ;)

Though, in fairness, later episodes will be much smaller, since the first release is the one that contains all the UI stuff etc, and will only need to be downloaded once. That's why the first episode is taking a while, you'd be amazed at the amount of stuff that needs re-working in order to make the game stand-alone :)

Offline Colonol Dekker

• HLP is my mistress
I'll get Karajorma to send me a dvd by snail mail if it's verging on the gig+.
-Battle of Neptune
-Between the Ashes 2
-FOTG?
-Inferno R1
-TBP EACW teaser
-Earth Brakiri war
-TBP Relic
-Trancsend (Possibly?)
-Uncharted Territory
-Vassagos Dirge
-War Machine

Secret bomb God.

Diaspora will only come out for Nintendo DS. You'll need to set up two in SLI mode to get a good framerate.

Seriously though I was able to run diaspora with no fps slowdowns on my old system - it was an amd x2 4800+, nvidia 8800gts (the 300something MB VRAM version, so the suckier variant), 2 GB ram. But to really answer this question we'll need to do some testing first, and to do that we need to do all the optimizations and finalize all ships with lods etc. Needless to say my new i7 system doesn't have trouble with it either :P

What do you mean it's only for Nintendo DS? Your saying it isn't a PC game? I'm guessing we can't play it on a PC then. :(

Offline Ace

• Truth of Babel
    • http://www.lordofrigel.com
Sarchasm n.- the distance between the above post and comprehending sarcasm.
Ace
Self-plagiarism is style.
-Alfred Hitchcock

Offline Angelus

• The Angriest Angel
Nintendo DS?  :lol:

The game looks like it's made for the PS3, and everyone knows that Nintendo DS is (graphics wise) closer to the Sega Saturn.
This also reminds me of the FS X-Box incident... :D

Offline newman

What do you mean it's only for Nintendo DS? Your saying it isn't a PC game? I'm guessing we can't play it on a PC then. :(

:D
Was a joke, thought that saying it runs on a Nintendo DS was ridiculous enough so nobody would take it seriously. Guess I was wrong :)
Nah it won't come out for any game consoles. Apart from having to get all sort of licensing from the console manufacturer to make a console game, Nintendo DS is a small, old pocket console that has less processing power then most today's cell phones.
Diaspora will run on PCs and Macs afaik.

Offline Enker

Was a joke, thought that saying it runs on a Nintendo DS was ridiculous enough so nobody would take it seriously. Guess I was wrong :)
Nah it won't come out for any game consoles. Apart from having to get all sort of licensing from the console manufacturer to make a console game, Nintendo DS is a small, old pocket console that has less processing power then most today's cell phones.
Diaspora will run on PCs and Macs afaik.

The other problem with any sort of aerial combat sim on the console is how much more difficult it is to perform precise inputs with a tiny stick. See IL-2: Birds of Prey.

Wait, all PCs and Macs? So I can play it on an iPhone or a Blackberry? Cool!

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
  • Nothing personal, just tech support.
    • Steam
    • Twitter
No. iPhones and Blackberries do NOT have the power to run FSO. Not to mention that, to the best of my knowledge, noone on the dev team has the SDKs for those.

Not to mention that input would be horrible on those devices....

The only supported operating systems are Windows, MacOS and Linux, with the only hardware being guaranteed to work being PPC (and that is very uncertain at the moment) and x86.
If I'm just aching this can't go on
I came from chasing dreams to feel alone
There must be changes, miss to feel strong
I really need lifе to touch me
--Evergrey, Where August Mourns

Offline FraktuRe

• Not stupid enough
  • Cheesy oneliner, *****es!
    • Fraktured Reality
He was being sarcastic.
Or something.
There’s nothing like the truth skewed into the mind of the insane.
- Fraktured Reality
The artist formerly known as Cl1nt.