Author Topic: Pre order extras  (Read 3869 times)

Offline Colonol Dekker

• HLP is my mistress
  • Aken Tigh Dekker- you've probably heard me
    • My old squad sub-domain
Just a random point, after reading the ST:O thread about getting a borg or a shield or a gun or bridge fluffy dice etc depending on how you pre order the thing, and reading up on that commercial for mass effect 2 that offers the terminus armour and blackshark gun thing "exclusively" I thought. Wait a sec. The keen of memory may remember me going to preorder and cancel my existing pre order.

Lo and behold both companies offered the armour and gun.

Silly of one to claim it's exclusive. Also silly of me not to read the blurb when I ordered it first time around.

Campaigns I've added my distinctiveness to-
- Blue Planet: Battle Captains
-Battle of Neptune
-Between the Ashes 2
-Blue planet: Age of Aquarius
-FOTG?
-Inferno R1
-Ribos: The aftermath / -Retreat from Deneb
-Sol: A History
-TBP EACW teaser
-Earth Brakiri war
-TBP Fortune Hunters (I think?)
-TBP Relic
-Trancsend (Possibly?)
-Uncharted Territory
-Vassagos Dirge
-War Machine
(Others lost to the mists of time and no discernible audit trail)

Your friendly Orestes tactical controller.

Secret bomb God.
That one time I got permabanned and got to read who was being bitxhy about me :p....
GO GO DEKKER RANGERSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
President of the Scooby Doo Model Appreciation Society
The only good Zod is a dead Zod
NEWGROUNDS COMEDY GOLD, UPDATED DAILY
http://badges.steamprofile.com/profile/default/steam/76561198011784807.png

Offline Mongoose

• Rikki-Tikki-Tavi
  • Global Moderator
  • This brain for rent.
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Something
This just might be the very worst trend to ever hit gaming, even more so than pay-for-micro-content and game patches for consoles.  Thankfully, I've never bought a game close enough to when it was released to have to worry about it. :p

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
It's in no small part a reaction by developers to the problem of game rentals - transactions that they don't get a cut of.

They want to incentivize people to buy, not rent.

Offline Demitri

i've pre ordered mine from play.com which comes with the "exclusive" terminus armor. didnt pre order it there casu of that, just cause thats normally where i buy my games from these days and so far its the cheapest i've seen it listed.

PLUS i also get the blood dragon armor, or should get it, cause of the little flyer thingy i got in my copy of dragon age. You get to look like a cylon!!! :P
"Brothers and sisters are natural enemies!
Like Englishmen and Scots!
Or Welshmen and Scots!
Or Japanese and Scots!
Or Scots and other Scots!
Damn Scots! They ruined Scotland!" - Groundskeeper Willie

Offline TESLA

• 1.21 gigawatts!
This just might be the very worst trend to ever hit gaming, even more so than pay-for-micro-content and game patches for consoles

I tend to agree. Really a bad idea all these pre-purchase ideas.
In order to find his equal, an Irishman is forced
to talk to God.

There are three types of people in this world: those who make things happen, those who watch things happen and those who wonder what happened.

Offline MR_T3D

• Personal Text
This just might be the very worst trend to ever hit gaming, even more so than pay-for-micro-content and game patches for consoles

I tend to agree. Really a bad idea all these pre-purchase ideas.
totally agree.
Espicially hate it when the item is unavailable otherwise.

this is coming from someone whom has sworn off pre-orders and generally buying a game until the internet reviews it and finds its faults, then i decide if the faults are worth it.

Offline Ransom

• M. Night Russel
  • It will not wait.
    • Rate of Injury
The only problem I have with this is the way retailers seem to compete for the best pre-order items. The customer doesn't benefit from that kind of rivalry.

I see nothing wrong with the practice itself. People enthusiastic enough to pre-order are rewarded. If they were getting some basic functionality that others either have to pay extra for or cannot get at all, that would be an issue, but so far they haven't been anything more substantial than trinkets.

Offline Stormkeeper

• Interviewer Extraordinaire
  • Boomz!
I don't see a problem with the pratice either. I only see a problem if the pre-order extras are worthless, e.g a cloth map of a the game your playing.
Ancient-Shivan War|Interview Board

Member of the Scooby Doo Fanclub. And we're not talking a cartoon dog here people!!

Offline Mongoose

• Rikki-Tikki-Tavi
  • Global Moderator
  • This brain for rent.
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Something
I see nothing wrong with the practice itself. People enthusiastic enough to pre-order are rewarded. If they were getting some basic functionality that others either have to pay extra for or cannot get at all, that would be an issue, but so far they haven't been anything more substantial than trinkets.
But what about those of us with OCD-ish tendencies who feel the urge to unlock everything in a particular game? :p I'm not too thrilled with the idea that there's some piece of content out there I'll never get to see just because I bought the game a year or two after it was released.

Offline Thaeris

• Can take his lumps
  • Away in Limbo
I posted earlier on another thread that I thought the pre-order exclusives were pretty lame. When I buy something, I want the whole thing!

If renting is the reason for why this sort of practice is engaged in, then why does a game have to be so expensive and last for such a little portion of time? For this reason alone, I'm grateful that I've never had a console game. Pretty much every app I've got is either expandable by the user (editors, etc.) or has basically unlimited replay value. And I'm pretty confident in saying that I'll not buy anything which doesn't meet those standards...

Go die and burn in a fire, XBOX...  :p
"trolls are clearly social rejects and therefore should be isolated from society, or perhaps impaled."

-Nuke

"Look on the bright side, how many release dates have been given for Doomsday, and it still isn't out yet.

It's the Duke Nukem Forever of prophecies..."

"Jesus saves.

Everyone else takes normal damage.
"

-Flipside

"pirating software is a lesser evil than stealing but its still evil. but since i pride myself for being evil, almost anything is fair game."

"i never understood why women get the creeps so ****ing easily. i mean most serial killers act perfectly normal, until they kill you."

-Nuke

Offline Ransom

• M. Night Russel
  • It will not wait.
    • Rate of Injury
But what about those of us with OCD-ish tendencies who feel the urge to unlock everything in a particular game? :p I'm not too thrilled with the idea that there's some piece of content out there I'll never get to see just because I bought the game a year or two after it was released.
You'll never get to see the Spaniard's Amulet of the Fox with +2 to Absorbency? Good grief!

In all recent examples of pre-order extras I can think of, the content has either been throwaway or sold later as DLC. In both cases nobody's locked out of anything.

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
I posted earlier on another thread that I thought the pre-order exclusives were pretty lame. When I buy something, I want the whole thing!

If renting is the reason for why this sort of practice is engaged in, then why does a game have to be so expensive and last for such a little portion of time? For this reason alone, I'm grateful that I've never had a console game. Pretty much every app I've got is either expandable by the user (editors, etc.) or has basically unlimited replay value. And I'm pretty confident in saying that I'll not buy anything which doesn't meet those standards...

You come across like a GameFAQs fanboi here.

Probably not the best impression to make.

Offline TrashMan

• T-tower Avenger. srsly.
  • God-Emperor of your kind!
    • Minecraft
    • FLAMES OF WAR
All this Pre-Order and bonus content bugs me.

I've been playing DA:O and I'm swamped with overpowered items that you get immediately and there's more coming with each (****ty) DLC.
Nobody dies as a virgin - the life ****s us all!

You're a wrongularity from which no right can escape!

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
Yeah, ironically just as present on the PC version as on the console ones.

I wasn't a big fan of having DLC integrated directly into dialogue.

Did DA:O live up to your expectations, TrashMan? I remember you persuading me it might be pretty good, and it turned out better than I'd thought.

Offline Mongoose

• Rikki-Tikki-Tavi
  • Global Moderator
  • This brain for rent.
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Something

You come across like a GameFAQs fanboi here.

Probably not the best impression to make.
Seriously.  Meaning no disrespect to anyone, but if you've never played a single console-only title, it's my firm belief that you cannot legitimately label yourself a "gamer."  There have been at least as many seminal, high-quality titles released over the history of gaming exclusively for various consoles as there have exclusively for the PC...if not even more so, given the greater overall number of titles associated with the former.  To completely shut yourself off to half of that equation means that you're missing out on many of the most influential titles in gaming history.

I mean...Mario?  Zelda?  Metroid?  Sonic?  Final Fantasy?  Metal Gear Solid?  At least a dozen other incredibly-noteworthy franchises?  None of these?  Come on, already. :p

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
Honestly. As someone who's played some pretty hardcore PC stuff (Operation Flashpoint, Allied Force, various mods for Homeworld), and who maintains a pretty decent custom-built gaming rig, I've found myself really enjoying a lot of console titles, and easily getting as many hours out of some of them as any PC release.

They both have their strengths and weaknesses and blinding yourself to one or the other just comes across as zealotry.

Offline Colonol Dekker

• HLP is my mistress
  • Aken Tigh Dekker- you've probably heard me
    • My old squad sub-domain
Super bomberman 2, Solar Jetman and the hunt for the golden warship, megaman (original, not x)
Master blaster and metal gear, alex kidd,
Zillion 2 the triformation, probotector/contra, streets of rage, golden axe, rampage, cyborg justice, All classics which are probably older than you. And i'd give my boxed reach on preorder to play any on my old consoles again.

And those games are just the pre 1990 ones I can remember. ;)
Campaigns I've added my distinctiveness to-
- Blue Planet: Battle Captains
-Battle of Neptune
-Between the Ashes 2
-Blue planet: Age of Aquarius
-FOTG?
-Inferno R1
-Ribos: The aftermath / -Retreat from Deneb
-Sol: A History
-TBP EACW teaser
-Earth Brakiri war
-TBP Fortune Hunters (I think?)
-TBP Relic
-Trancsend (Possibly?)
-Uncharted Territory
-Vassagos Dirge
-War Machine
(Others lost to the mists of time and no discernible audit trail)

Your friendly Orestes tactical controller.

Secret bomb God.
That one time I got permabanned and got to read who was being bitxhy about me :p....
GO GO DEKKER RANGERSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
President of the Scooby Doo Model Appreciation Society
The only good Zod is a dead Zod
NEWGROUNDS COMEDY GOLD, UPDATED DAILY
http://badges.steamprofile.com/profile/default/steam/76561198011784807.png

Offline Thaeris

• Can take his lumps
  • Away in Limbo
Well, I have played consoles before, though I've never owned one.

Zelda: A Link to the Past for the SNES was by far my favorite. This was followed by Star Fox and Jungle Strike. I did have an emulation for those which worked on XP, though I'm not certain it would work on my current OS. The only modern console I've thought was really neat was the Wii, mainly because of the interface. I recall playing Red Steel, which despite any criticisms, amazed me as my arm became rather tired after playing...  :p

So perhaps my judgement of consoles is unjust - there's a great deal of games I've enjoyed watching others play. However, I primarily don't care for the majority of those titles. I favor my flight sims and strategy games over those by far...  :D
"trolls are clearly social rejects and therefore should be isolated from society, or perhaps impaled."

-Nuke

"Look on the bright side, how many release dates have been given for Doomsday, and it still isn't out yet.

It's the Duke Nukem Forever of prophecies..."

"Jesus saves.

Everyone else takes normal damage.
"

-Flipside

"pirating software is a lesser evil than stealing but its still evil. but since i pride myself for being evil, almost anything is fair game."

"i never understood why women get the creeps so ****ing easily. i mean most serial killers act perfectly normal, until they kill you."

-Nuke

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
One of the big advantages of consoles is split-screen multiplayer. Games like Halo, Super Smash Brothers, and Modern Warfare 2 (which include split-screen co-op or competitive modes) are an absolute blast.

Offline starbug

• DarkSide Animations
This was the samething that bugged me about the release of Dawn of War 2, almost every store you ordered it from, each had different extras on it which you couldn't get anywhere else and i remember the uproar of anger that caused and they then made the different content aval from relic. I also hear there planning to do the same to Chaos Rising, Its all a scam if you ask me.

As for mass effect2 i have ordered the standard Collectors edition from game.

Consoles are fun as well, esp the Wii, even more so when u and your mates are trying to play it while half gassed  :lol:

Darksiders is good on the 360
http://www.youtube.com/user/AnubisX1

if there is any consistancy with the Shivans, it's their lack of consistancy - -Norbert-