Author Topic: Question about the Basestar  (Read 2827 times)

Offline Demitri

Question about the Basestar
Just been thinking about this and perhaps one of the devs can shed some light on this. What does a basestar use for defensive weaponry?

What i mean is that you see the Galatica engage raiders at a distance with the main flak batteries but then it has some sort of CIWS (not rotary gatling guns but you know what i mean) after that. From what we see, or from what i remember seeing, the basestar only ever fired missiles and those were used as offensive weapons against the battlestars but dont recall seeing any defensive fire. Or do they purely rely on raider spam to provide defence?

Like i said, any input on my wonderings would be appreciated :)
"Brothers and sisters are natural enemies!
Like Englishmen and Scots!
Or Welshmen and Scots!
Or Japanese and Scots!
Or Scots and other Scots!
Damn Scots! They ruined Scotland!" - Groundskeeper Willie

Offline Ace

• Truth of Babel
    • http://www.lordofrigel.com
Re: Question about the Basestar
You answered it yourself, raider spam :)
Ace
Self-plagiarism is style.
-Alfred Hitchcock

Offline FraktuRe

• Not stupid enough
  • Cheesy oneliner, *****es!
    • Fraktured Reality
Raider spam, but they do have some sort of point defense system, since I remember seeing a flak barrier around one during the battle for the rez ship. They seemed to be flak missiles or something.
Or something.
There’s nothing like the truth skewed into the mind of the insane.
- Fraktured Reality
The artist formerly known as Cl1nt.

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
Yeah, they liked like cluster missiles or something.

Offline Colonol Dekker

• HLP is my mistress
  • Aken Tigh Dekker- you've probably heard me
    • My old squad sub-domain
They use sexy ladies. . . .
Campaigns I've added my distinctiveness to-
- Blue Planet: Battle Captains
-Battle of Neptune
-Between the Ashes 2
-Blue planet: Age of Aquarius
-FOTG?
-Inferno R1
-Ribos: The aftermath / -Retreat from Deneb
-Sol: A History
-TBP EACW teaser
-Earth Brakiri war
-TBP Fortune Hunters (I think?)
-TBP Relic
-Trancsend (Possibly?)
-Uncharted Territory
-Vassagos Dirge
-War Machine
(Others lost to the mists of time and no discernible audit trail)

Your friendly Orestes tactical controller.

Secret bomb God.
That one time I got permabanned and got to read who was being bitxhy about me :p....
GO GO DEKKER RANGERSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
President of the Scooby Doo Model Appreciation Society
The only good Zod is a dead Zod
NEWGROUNDS COMEDY GOLD, UPDATED DAILY
http://badges.steamprofile.com/profile/default/steam/76561198011784807.png

Offline StarSlayer

• Men Kaeshi Do
    • Steam
We set it up so she spins round her axis really, really fast and bats any strikecraft nearby with her arms, we unofficially call it the "Shuriken Attack."  Additionally Flipside, Max and Skull Leader give the Bear McCreary treatment to Dead or Alive's "You Spin Me Right Round" similar to "All Long the Watchtower" that plays during the maneuver. Overall its rather awe inspiring to behold in game, especially when the Hybrid starts transmitting a nonsensical garbled version of the lyrics.
“Think lightly of yourself and deeply of the world”

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
You are my favorite team ever.

Offline Master_Drow

• Theseus CIC officer.

Offline Demitri

We set it up so she spins round her axis really, really fast and bats any strikecraft nearby with her arms, we unofficially call it the "Shuriken Attack."  Additionally Flipside, Max and Skull Leader give the Bear McCreary treatment to Dead or Alive's "You Spin Me Right Round" similar to "All Long the Watchtower" that plays during the maneuver. Overall its rather awe inspiring to behold in game, especially when the Hybrid starts transmitting a nonsensical garbled version of the lyrics.

:jaw: :P
Or Welshmen and Scots!
Or Japanese and Scots!

Offline Colonol Dekker

• HLP is my mistress
  • Aken Tigh Dekker- you've probably heard me
    • My old squad sub-domain
Youtube link? :lol: :nervous:
Campaigns I've added my distinctiveness to-
- Blue Planet: Battle Captains
-Battle of Neptune
-Between the Ashes 2
-Blue planet: Age of Aquarius
-FOTG?
-Inferno R1
-Ribos: The aftermath / -Retreat from Deneb
-Sol: A History
-TBP EACW teaser
-Earth Brakiri war
-TBP Fortune Hunters (I think?)
-TBP Relic
-Trancsend (Possibly?)
-Uncharted Territory
-Vassagos Dirge
-War Machine
(Others lost to the mists of time and no discernible audit trail)

Your friendly Orestes tactical controller.

Secret bomb God.
That one time I got permabanned and got to read who was being bitxhy about me :p....
GO GO DEKKER RANGERSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
President of the Scooby Doo Model Appreciation Society
The only good Zod is a dead Zod
NEWGROUNDS COMEDY GOLD, UPDATED DAILY
http://badges.steamprofile.com/profile/default/steam/76561198011784807.png

Well, we did see baseship missiles being used for point defense against other baseship missiles in "The Hub." The main defense, though, seemed to be that the effective range of their missiles was greater than that of a battlestar's cannons, so they could just force a standoff at a distance where they could hit the battlestar, but it couldn't hit them.

Offline newman

Well, we did see baseship missiles being used for point defense against other baseship missiles in "The Hub." The main defense, though, seemed to be that the effective range of their missiles was greater than that of a battlestar's cannons, so they could just force a standoff at a distance where they could hit the battlestar, but it couldn't hit them.

Pretty much. Two greatest basestar's weapons are extensive long range weaponry an 864 docked raiders. With this amount of fighters present there should be no problem with delegating some for point defense while still being able to overwhelm your opponent with the rest. This ship was designed for blitz assault on the colonies - which is pretty much what happened; jump in, achieve total surprise, overwhelm your enemy with long range weapons and fighter superiority before they have a chance to even open fire on you. Assuming of course that the enemy wasn't disabled by the CNP virus thing in the first place. This is why for me the switch from a TOS baseship design as seen in Razor to the modern basestars has a lot of sense; the TOS one is a mobile fortress designed to withstand prolonged engagements in a drawn out conflict - the new one to win a war almost before it starts. If we eliminate the CNP virus and surprise, I'd say the TOS baseship has much greater chances of surviving a close/medium range fight with a battlestar then the new one does. It's all speculation, of course, but the old one seems a lot more heavily armored to me. We've seen what happens to the new basestar when it's surprised by a mercury class battlestar.. :)
You know what the chain of command is? It's the chain I go get and beat you with 'til ya understand who's in ruttin' command here! - Jayne Cobb

Offline Demitri

Pretty much. Two greatest basestar's weapons are extensive long range weaponry an 864 docked raiders. With this amount of fighters present there should be no problem with delegating some for point defense while still being able to overwhelm your opponent with the rest. This ship was designed for blitz assault on the colonies - which is pretty much what happened; jump in, achieve total surprise, overwhelm your enemy with long range weapons and fighter superiority before they have a chance to even open fire on you. Assuming of course that the enemy wasn't disabled by the CNP virus thing in the first place. This is why for me the switch from a TOS baseship design as seen in Razor to the modern basestars has a lot of sense; the TOS one is a mobile fortress designed to withstand prolonged engagements in a drawn out conflict - the new one to win a war almost before it starts. If we eliminate the CNP virus and surprise, I'd say the TOS baseship has much greater chances of surviving a close/medium range fight with a battlestar then the new one does. It's all speculation, of course, but the old one seems a lot more heavily armored to me. We've seen what happens to the new basestar when it's surprised by a mercury class battlestar.. :)

Very true. The basestar does seem quite flimsy for prolonged engagements but for hit and run it is extremely well suited, especially with said ability to raider spam and overwhelm targets
« Last Edit: January 17, 2010, 11:13:23 am by Demitri »
Or Welshmen and Scots!
Or Japanese and Scots!