Author Topic: FSF: Programers Unite: FreeSpace FOREVER  (Read 40285 times)

Offline Sandwich

• Got Screen?
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Brainzipper
Programers Unite: FreeSpace FOREVER
Couple o' quick points:

Interface should be a set resolution, not a varied one like FS2. That gave no lack of headaches to mission makers, who put too much text in a briefing and the player couldn't read it all, or too little and it looked like a waste of a briefing screen. Set the interface resolution at 800x600, IMHO, and leave it at that. One set of interface graphics will be simpler, too.

DivX can be used for both tween-mission cutscenes and in-game animations - just set 2 different compression levels/standards, one with a high CPU overhead, and one with a low one. :D

I'll post more when I get back into the swing of things... the army is tiring even when you're not doing anything. :)
SERIOUSLY...! | {The Sandvich Bar} - Rhino-FS2 Tutorial | CapShip Turret Upgrade | The Complete FS2 Ship List | System Background Package

"...The quintessential quality of our age is that of dreams coming true. Just think of it. For centuries we have dreamt of flying; recently we made that come true: we have always hankered for speed; now we have speeds greater than we can stand: we wanted to speak to far parts of the Earth; we can: we wanted to explore the sea bottom; we have: and so  on, and so on: and, too, we wanted the power to smash our enemies utterly; we have it. If we had truly wanted peace, we should have had that as well. But true peace has never been one of the genuine dreams - we have got little further than preaching against war in order to appease our consciences. The truly wishful dreams, the many-minded dreams are now irresistible - they become facts." - 'The Outward Urge' by John Wyndham

"The very essence of tolerance rests on the fact that we have to be intolerant of intolerance. Stretching right back to Kant, through the Frankfurt School and up to today, liberalism means that we can do anything we like as long as we don't hurt others. This means that if we are tolerant of others' intolerance - especially when that intolerance is a call for genocide - then all we are doing is allowing that intolerance to flourish, and allowing the violence that will spring from that intolerance to continue unabated." - Bren Carlill

Offline Azoele

• http://LorenzoDelPace.tripod.com
Well, I've read this evening the post (not entirely!:)  , but I have to say the idea is GREAT.

I have been playing Fs2 a lot, and really love the idea of extending its usability ad libitum (I really hated to give up X-Wing and Tie Fighter...), but let me offer you just a little suggestion:

I am into the Linux community since 1996, and I have seen zillions projects born and disappear, and the most sad ones where the one "died in the middle", not too early, not enough late to allow use...:(

This is a HUGE project, as everybody understands, so perhaps just start with something that might involve a lot of people at beginning (the already proposed "demos that work"), and do call in the Linux people who are absolutely longing for games like Fs2!
They would provide *great* advice on what to do/don't and how to limit our dreams to reality...

My best wishes for this magnificent work,

Azoele
"Talk sense to a fool and he calls you fool" Euripide

Offline Kazan

• PCS2 Wizard
  • Soul lives in the Mountains
    • http://alliance.sourceforge.net
first: it'll be multi res
second: im already working on a renderer
PCS2 2.0.3 | POF CS2 wiki page | Important PCS2 Threads | PCS2 Mantis

"The Mountains are calling, and I must go" - John Muir

Well, I offered my help...which I believe to be the best hope for FS3..FSF whatever.

Good luck, don't look too far ahead, or you'll trip over your own boots.  

Get an engine first, look at it even if you're not going to use it and build your own, get familliar with your engine and take it one step at a time.  As Daveb mentioned, just get a simple menu and 3D display working first.  Worry about effects and features later...

As a appended offer, Orbital runs a group called XtremeBuilder for exactly what you're doing here, making mods for existing games.  Take a short look at the XtremeBuilder FAQ on the new Orbital BB at www.descent4.net .
--Valin Halcyon
Descent IV Design Lead
President, Orbital Design Studios
www.descent4.net

Offline RandomTiger

What would be really good is if it was totally back compatiable with FS2 so we can play FS2 with bumpmaps etc and therefore play FS1 who's data has been brought upto date.

Offline Kazan

• PCS2 Wizard
  • Soul lives in the Mountains
    • http://alliance.sourceforge.net
did you see the date/timestamp on this thread?

FS2FE is _DEAD_ I SLAUGHTERED IT

I'm working on OpenPrivateer now
PCS2 2.0.3 | POF CS2 wiki page | Important PCS2 Threads | PCS2 Mantis

"The Mountains are calling, and I must go" - John Muir

Offline Bobboau

• Just a MODern kinda guy
    Just MODerately cool
    And MODest too
:wtf: the hell... ?
Bobboau, bringing you products that work... in theory
learn to use PCS
creator of the ProXimus Procedural Texture and Effect Generator
My latest build of PCS2, get it while it's hot!
PCS 2.0.3

DEUTERONOMY 22:11
Thou shalt not wear a garment of diverse sorts, [as] of woollen and linen together

Offline Nico

• Venom
    Parlez-vous Model Magician?
Originally posted by Kazan

lol, obviously, you didn't ;)
SCREW CANON!

Offline RandomTiger

Originally posted by Kazan

Comeon now.. I posted that ages ago when I was new and didnt know what was going on

Offline Shrike

• Postadmin
    • http://www.3dap.com/hlp
It was most likely someone voting in the poll, which bumps it.  Won't happen again.
WE ARE HARD LIGHT PRODUCTIONS. YOU WILL LOWER YOUR FIREWALLS AND SURRENDER YOUR KEYBOARDS. WE WILL ADD YOUR INTELLECTUAL AND VERNACULAR DISTINCTIVENESS TO OUR OWN. YOUR FORUMS WILL ADAPT TO SERVICE US. RESISTANCE IS FUTILE.