Author Topic: RELEASE: wxLauncher 0.10.1 beta [Updated 2015/09/26]  (Read 670903 times)

Offline Iss Mneur

• TODO:
Re: RELEASE: wxLauncher 0.9.1 public alpha [Updated 2012/07/13]
Psst, the Windows installer download link is broken!
Oh?  They seem to be working fine for me? What issue are you having?
"I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by." -Douglas Adams
wxLauncher 0.9.4 public beta (now with no config file editing for FRED) | wxLauncher 2.0 Request for Comments

Huh, apparently that 404 was a one-time issue... :warp:

Offline Iss Mneur

• TODO:
The link to google 404'd or what?
"I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by." -Douglas Adams
wxLauncher 0.9.4 public beta (now with no config file editing for FRED) | wxLauncher 2.0 Request for Comments

It did, yeah, this one. I was, however, able to navigate to the page manually. Odd...

Offline Iss Mneur

• TODO:
You are still having problems with 404's?

Nope, just that one time. Obviously I reported too soon.

Minor issue on Linux: It appears that filename "fs2_open_3.6.15" (obtained by building from source) is not recognized as a valid executable. If I rename it to just "fs2_open" it works.

Offline headdie

• i don't use punctuation lol
  • Lawful Neutral with a Chaotic outook
    • Minecraft
    • Headdie on Deviant Art
im guessing it's the full stops
Minister of Interstellar Affairs Sol Union - Retired
quote General Battuta - "FRED is canon!"
Contact me at [email protected]
My Release Thread, Old Release Thread, Celestial Objects Thread, My rubbish attempts at art

Offline chief1983

• Still lacks a custom title
  • ⬇️⬆️⬅️⬅️🅰➡️⬇️
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Fate of the Galaxy
I think the change from underscores to periods was made in the .14 branch some time ago and only recently synched over to trunk, we may have to change it to something that wxLauncher can handle better if it can't be made to work with this format easily.  Using fs2_open_3_6_15 should probably work too.
Fate of the Galaxy - Now Hiring!  Apply within | Diaspora | SCP Home | Collada Importer for PCS2
Karajorma's 'How to report bugs' | Mantis
#freespace | #scp-swc | #diaspora | #SCP | #hard-light on EsperNet

"You may not sell or otherwise commercially exploit the source or things you created based on the source." -- Excerpt from FSO license, for reference

Nuclear1:  Jesus Christ zack you're a little too hamyurger for HLP right now...
iamzack:  i dont have hamynerge i just want ptatoc hips D:
redsniper:  Platonic hips?!
iamzack:  lays

Offline Iss Mneur

• TODO:
Hmm. Damn filename parsing.

File a report on the wxLauncher bug tracker and jg18 or I will mess up the filename parsing some more.

Offline jg18

• A very happy zod
  • can do more than spellcheck
I can't reproduce this bug on Ubuntu 10.04 (Lucid), although I admit I was lazy and just renamed an existing executable called fs2_open_3.6.14 to fs2_open_3.6.15.

FSO executable names on OS X have included periods/full stops since 3.6.12 at least, and wxL has just one FSO filename parsing scheme for all platforms. FWIW, the filename parsing is necessarily brittle: since there are no official naming conventions for FSO executables, the parsing has to be a "best guess" interpretation.

What do you mean by "is not recognized as a valid executable"? Could you post a log (~/.wxlauncher/wxLauncher.log)?

Thanks.

What do you mean by "is not recognized as a valid executable"? Could you post a log (~/.wxlauncher/wxLauncher.log)?

Exactly that, I'm unable to select the game root folder because "No supported executables in folder". Log attached, generated by renaming the execs to the bad name again (I couldn't un-select the previously selected game folder, hence why it says "The current game root folder is /home/downwash/FSO").

[attachment deleted by a basterd]

Offline jg18

• A very happy zod
Hmm. Puzzling.

I have limited time to stare at this at the moment :sigh: but could you try these things and see what happens, to help narrow down the problem?

• renaming the executable to fs2_open_3.6.14
  • renaming the executable to fs2_open_3.6.16
  • renaming the executable to fs2_open_3_6_15, as chief suggested
  • renaming the executable to fs2_open_3_6_16
  • renaming the executable to fs2_open.asdftrq4-56dd87 (works on my machine)
  • moving that executable out of the FSO folder, taking an old executable that's known to work, copying it into the FSO folder, and renaming it to fs2_open_3.6.15
  • changing the new executable name back to fs2_open_3.6.15, moving it back into the folder and all other FSO executables out of the folder, going to your profiles folder (~./wxlauncher/), finding the pro#####.ini file corresponding to the profile that loads at wxL startup (check the line that starts with name=), backing up that file, and adjusting the line that starts with currentbinary= to point to /home/downwash/FSO/fs2_open_3.6.15

Could you also post the output of

Code: [Select]
ls /home/downwash/FSO

Thanks.

EDIT: Clarifications and adding #5.
« Last Edit: December 02, 2012, 01:17:31 pm by jg18 »

Hmm, the funny thing is wxL does recognize it as a valid binary if the game root folder was selected previously; it's really just the folder selector that's affected. Are you using different filename patterns for those two?

1. Not recognized by folder selector
2. Not recognized by folder selector
3. Not recognized by folder selector
4. Not recognized by folder selector
5. Still not recognized by folder selector
6. The 3.6.15 exec is recognized if I rename it to just fs2_open; if I rename it back to fs2_open_3.6.15 it's not anymore. Again, this is for the game root folder selector.
7. It plays alright, but the folder selector still doesn't recognize it. Status bar says "Folder does not have any supported executables".

Directory contents, of a setup that is recognized:

Code: [Select]
BtA Demo
data
FS2.bmp
FS2OGGcutscenepack.vp
fs2_open
fs2_open_debug
mediavps_3612
mod.ini
root_fs2.vp
smarty_fs2.vp
sparky_fs2.vp
sparky_hi_fs2.vp
stu_fs2.vp
tango1_fs2.vp
tango2_fs2.vp
tango3_fs2.vp
trunk (note: that's a mod folder, SVN named it this way)
warble_fs2.vp
wxlauncher (note: I copied the binary to here, to have everything in one place. )

Offline jg18

• A very happy zod
Thanks for the tests. Filename patterns should be the same in both cases.

Nothing jumps out as a potential cause, and I might not have time to seriously look into this for a few weeks :blah: since I'm in the middle of finishing the semester and coordinating a 1,500-mile (2400 km) move of all of my stuff. Hopefully Iss can look into it sooner than that.

Could you check if this issue occurs with 0.9.0 or 0.9.1? You can get the source tarballs from the downloads page.

Thanks, and sorry about this.

... ehh. *headdesk* It appears I've been doing something horribly wrong. I actually went into the root folder and then clicked "Open", which means the select-folder dialog might actually have been looking in the first subdirectory, instead of the (intended selection) folder I was in. Because if I open the folder selector, go to /home/downwash, select (but don't open) the FSO directory and press the "Open" button, it is recognized correctly, even with the _3.6.15 extensions.

In my defence, there is no clue whatsoever to this behaviour, I only accidentally discovered it by random button-klicking. But nonetheless, apologies for reporting a false positive. Turns out wxL is more stable than its users by now :)
« Last Edit: December 03, 2012, 03:21:35 pm by FreeSpaceFreak »

Offline jg18

• A very happy zod
Ah yes, that issue. Well, the same button is called "Choose" on OS X and "OK" on Windows, although the dir picker dialog on Windows has a more intuitive directory tree layout (well, it's as intuitive as the notion of a dir tree is in the first place, anyway). Since these are all native MFC/Cocoa/GTK+ widgets, we can't change the button label without rolling our own dir picker AFAIK, an unappealing option that also goes against the wx philosophy of native widgets on each platform.

So not sure offhand what a good solution would be. One easy thing to do would be to include the complete folder path in the error message "No supported executables in folder", so at least it'd be clear which folder was being examined. Still doesn't fully explain to the player what they're doing wrong or how to fix it, but it's a start.

EDIT: Clarification.
« Last Edit: December 04, 2012, 09:49:26 am by jg18 »

Ah yes, that issue. Well, the same button is called "Choose" on OS X and "OK" on Windows, although the dir picker dialog on Windows has a more intuitive directory tree layout (well, it's as intuitive as the notion of a dir tree is in the first place, anyway). Since these are all native MFC/Cocoa/GTK+ widgets, we can't change the button label without rolling our own dir picker AFAIK, an unappealing option that also goes against the wx philosophy of native widgets on each platform.
I couldn't agree more, that would be way more work than it's worth, and kinda defeat the purpose of using wx indeed.

So not sure offhand what a good solution would be. One easy thing to do would be to include the complete folder path in the error message "No supported executables in folder", so at least it'd be clear which folder was being examined. Still doesn't fully explain to the player what they're doing wrong or how to fix it, but it's a start.
That would be good :yes: Perhaps only the folder name (as opposed to the full path) would do, to prevent text overflows on longer paths/larger fonts.

Come to think of it: is a scalable window planned for the future? (As in, drag the corners to adjust window size.)

Offline Iss Mneur

• TODO:
That would be good :yes: Perhaps only the folder name (as opposed to the full path) would do, to prevent text overflows on longer paths/larger fonts.
Well, we could address the overflow by only showing the last x characters of the path. So if you do have a really long path we don't need to worry about breaking the dialog.

Come to think of it: is a scalable window planned for the future? (As in, drag the corners to adjust window size.)
Possibly, but not in the short term. It is far too much work to make it look good on all platforms (which is why it is hardcoded as it is now), when writing the UI the originally there were countless bugs (primarily with the mod list and the flag list) when the window resized.  It is something we will need to address (if only for DPI reasons) though.

Offline technopredator

• Does not compute
  • Don't get mad, consequences are revenging you.
My input: great work so far, way better than the v.0.8.0a, more organized, good clean looks, I haven't played in about a year, I'm starting again and using this latest version from the start; I don't see why is it in alpha stage still, for me looks like a beta at least.

Suggestion for the lighting presets: maybe you could add a image or a small 3D model to cast the lighting on so we can see how the different presets modify the lighting at gameplay.