Author Topic: Battlestar Shape  (Read 17269 times)

Offline Felix 039

• The One True Noob
Is it just me or does Valkyrie class battlestars have a pointy "head"?
Turning pros into noobs since 1992.
---
Oh look, there's something down here!

No there isn't...

Offline newman

It's not just you.

http://media.battlestarwiki.org/images/f/f2/Bsg-ambush_fleet.jpg

I'm really glad "the Plan" showed the ship class in more detail, because a lot of people had very wrong ideas on what the ship really looks like or what it's size really is.
You know what the chain of command is? It's the chain I go get and beat you with 'til ya understand who's in ruttin' command here! - Jayne Cobb

Offline FraktuRe

• Not stupid enough
  • Cheesy oneliner, *****es!
    • Fraktured Reality
Yeah she's a small pointy beast. Pretty sexy though.
Or something.
There’s nothing like the truth skewed into the mind of the insane.
- Fraktured Reality
The artist formerly known as Cl1nt.

Offline StarSlayer

• Men Kaeshi Do
    • Steam
And so doesn't the Harrier
“Think lightly of yourself and deeply of the world”

Offline Felix 039

• The One True Noob
I just thought its weird because Galactica and Mercury class are both pretty "roundish"
---

No there isn't...

Offline newman

Galactica and Mercury are both extremely large ships. The Valkyrie is some 600-700m long (despite wrong conclusions on battlestar wiki which have since been removed). Her overall length is about the same as a Galactica flight pod. This is the reason she only has 6 launch tubes facing forward running along the bottom of the flight pods (3 under each). Smaller size dictates design differences.
You know what the chain of command is? It's the chain I go get and beat you with 'til ya understand who's in ruttin' command here! - Jayne Cobb

Offline Aardwolf

• Minecraft
The original ("old") battlestar looked like a Y-Wing grafted onto some fighterbays.  :nervous:

Will the Valkyrie class be in Diaspora?Perhaps even the Valkyrie herself?Shes smaller than the Galactica class or Mercury(Pegasus) class battlestars but she is cool looking.

Also mabey the old Galactica style ship could be used a new ship class in Diaspora.You know how the basestars evolved from the orignial series style two circles on top of each other?Well mabey the battlestars evolved from the original series design.Perhaps the very first Battlestar prototype had that deisign but was changed from having the bridge in front to the middle because of Cylon suicide attacks.They were also refitted with heavy armor to survive nukes.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2010, 02:52:14 pm by FreespacePilot2010 »

Offline Felix 039

• The One True Noob
I wish I have a hax computer that can run a mission with maximum number of ships in Diaspora
---

No there isn't...

Offline Angelus

• The Angriest Angel
I wish I have a hax computer that can run a mission with maximum number of ships in Diaspora

I wish i had the same computer now, but with Diaspora already installed :p

The Valk is already part of the Diaspora fleet, although not ready for ingame use or something.

EDIT: The entry for the Valk is still in the "Our Rag Tag Fleet" thread, but the pic has been removed.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2010, 02:56:58 pm by Angelus »

Offline newman

Will the Valkyrie class be in Diaspora?Perhaps even the Valkyrie herself?Shes smaller than the Galactica class or Mercury(Pegasus) class battlestars but she is cool looking.

The Valkyrie class will make her first appearance in our second release (most likely). She has already been modeled and about half way textured by yours truly. I had to put the work on her on pause to deal with stuff needed for R1.
About the Valkyrie herself appearing, we were even considering it but her appearance in orbit of Caprica as seen in "the Plan" makes that unlikely (obviously, she was shut down and destroyed with the rest of the fleet so there's little room in the story to actually make her actively fight the Cylons). A ship of that class will definitely appear and she'll definitely come with a set of "Valkyrie" nameplates as well, so either fans or us can maybe make the Valkyrie herself appear somewhere in a timeframe between the failed stealthstar mission and the attack on the colonies.

Mabey you could recreate that scene from the plan with the Valkyrie as an in game cutscene.Im not talking about a rendered scene but a real time scene like how they have in Blue Planet.

Offline newman

If we ever deal with that particular scene, sure. If not, well.. you'll still get to see a ship of this class in action, just won't be named the "Valkyrie".

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
EDIT: The entry for the Valk is still in the "Our Rag Tag Fleet" thread, but the pic has been removed.

Looks like the link changed. I'll see if I can fix that.
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

Offline FraktuRe

• Not stupid enough
  • Cheesy oneliner, *****es!
    • Fraktured Reality
Also mabey the old Galactica style ship could be used a new ship class in Diaspora.You know how the basestars evolved from the orignial series style two circles on top of each other?Well mabey the battlestars evolved from the original series design.Perhaps the very first Battlestar prototype had that deisign but was changed from having the bridge in front to the middle because of Cylon suicide attacks.They were also refitted with heavy armor to survive nukes.

No. In TNS, the Galactica IS the original style battlestar. Please don't go and mix and match with TOS. It makes baby jesus cry.
Or something.
There’s nothing like the truth skewed into the mind of the insane.
- Fraktured Reality
The artist formerly known as Cl1nt.

Offline StarSlayer

• Men Kaeshi Do
    • Steam

No. In TNS, the Galactica IS the original style battlestar. Please don't go and mix and match with TOS. It makes baby jesus cry.

Every non-canon First Cylon War Colonial capital design for Diaspora is based off the aesthetics of the Galactica (BSG-75 version) .  In Release 1 the Bolitho and Sobek classes are both First Cylon War era vessels, the Sobek being perhaps the latest and most advanced class deployed before the end of hostilities.  In later releases you may see other 1CW designs such as the Dauntless, Chrysaor and Pacifica all of which should be recognizable as being stable mates to the Galactica types.  Likewise non canon modern designs like the Thanatos, Harrier and Taurus will all appear to fit in with Mercs and Valkyries.  The only force thats probably going to harken back to the TOS design philosophies will be the 1CW era Cylons as seen in Razor. 
“Think lightly of yourself and deeply of the world”

Offline karajorma

• Administrator
He he. Stop teasing them with the names of ships they won't see for a while Starslayer. :p

Thanks for the list!I cant wait to see pics of the models once you all get started on them!

But you could still also have the original series battlestar design as a prototype battlestar.It may have never even been in combat.It would obviously be non cannon because as of yet they havnt shown a protype battlestar.Mabey theyll show one in Caprica.Remember most prototypes are never the final version.Just like R1 of Diaspora is not its final release.Also prototypes usally dont look like the final product either.So it is very possible that the very first battlestar prototype design was almost identical to that of the original series one.

If one isnt going to be made I could always just add one myself when Diaspora is released.If I can find a low poly tos galactica model that is.

« Last Edit: February 12, 2010, 12:55:10 am by FreespacePilot2010 »

Offline newman

The TOS Galactica would be problematic even as a prototype. Even if we ignore the other arguments (which are still valid) we'd still have a hell of a time explaining why the colonials had a battlestar with fixed flight pods and then made a technological step back and built the Galactica which needs to retract her pods to jump, an obvious design disadvantage... Anyway it's all been discussed already and iirc the answer was no.

Offline karajorma

• Administrator
But you could still also have the original series battlestar design as a prototype battlestar.It may have never even been in combat.It would obviously be non cannon because as of yet they havnt shown a protype battlestar.Mabey theyll show one in Caprica.Remember most prototypes are never the final version.Just like R1 of Diaspora is not its final release.Also prototypes usally dont look like the final product either.So it is very possible that the very first battlestar prototype design was almost identical to that of the original series one.

Sorry but I just don't buy that. It's like trying to say a 10 year old SUV could be the prototype for a sports car. It makes no sense. The two ships are obviously hugely different. It's just trying to crowbar the TOS Galactica into the game for the sake of having it in there. Nevermind that it makes no sense, breaks immersion and is completely contradictory to everything else we've seen in the show.

So it's just simply not going to happen.

If one isnt going to be made I could always just add one myself when Diaspora is released.If I can find a low poly tos galactica model that is.

Feel free to. I've got no objection to including a model of the TOS Galactica in the game. But it simply can't be part of any serious nBSG plot line.