Author Topic: MultiPlayer Campaigns  (Read 6221 times)

Offline 1983lux

Hey Everyone.  3 friends and I are really enjoying playing the original FS2 Campaign together.  However, i don't know of any other multiplayer campaigns/series of missions.

When searching threads, i found these instructions on how to modify single player campaigns yourself to make them multiplayer
http://www.hard-light.net/forums/index.php?topic=52473.0

"1. Extract all the missions from the game (fs port or FS1 should work) using VPView or equivalent (check my FAQ)
2. Open each in a text editor. Change +Game Type Flags: 1 to +Game Type Flags: 10
3. In the +Flags: section for Alpha 2, 3 and 4 add "player-start"  somewhere between the brackets

Done. FRED will hate opening them but they should work. "

I can extract the missions and change game type flags but i am not sure exactly what to type in for instruction 3.  I've really got no clue about any of this sort of stuff.

So my questions are:
1. Where can i find already existing multiplayer campaigns?
2. Can anyone give me more detailed instructions on how to convert single player campaigns?

Any help appreciated.

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
  • Nothing personal, just tech support.
    • Steam
    • Twitter
Converting SP campaigns to Multi is much harder than that. Campaigns that are challenging in SP will get ridiculously easy in Multi, unless their balance is adjusted for the presence of several humans in the mission.

So far, only Operation Templar (Which is part of the FS2 mission set) and the FS2 main campaign have been converted like that. The converted FS2 main campaign can be found in the mediavps.

Then there's the fact that some of the newer campaigns (Like Blue Planet, or Silent Threat: Reborn) do not work in Multiplayer at all, due to their setup, and the sexps used in them not being usable in MP.
If I'm just aching this can't go on
I came from chasing dreams to feel alone
There must be changes, miss to feel strong
I really need lifе to touch me
--Evergrey, Where August Mourns

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
I can extract the missions and change game type flags but i am not sure exactly what to type in for instruction 3.  I've really got no clue about any of this sort of stuff.

Look for
Code: [Select]
$Name: Alpha 2 in the file for each mission. A little bit below it you'll find
Code: [Select]
+Flags: ( ) There will probably be stuff between those brackets but you can ignore that. What you have to do is add "player-start"  somewhere between the brackets.

Now repeat that for Alpha 3 and 4.

Converting SP campaigns to Multi is much harder than that. Campaigns that are challenging in SP will get ridiculously easy in Multi, unless their balance is adjusted for the presence of several humans in the mission.

I'll agree that balancing the missions and upgrading them means that it is much harder than that. What I wrote was merely how to do it at a very simple level. Most people might find the missions too easy but there is always the possibility that pumping up the difficulty to insane (and maybe using Fury's AI settings) would make the game playable.

Then there's the fact that some of the newer campaigns (Like Blue Planet, or Silent Threat: Reborn) do not work in Multiplayer at all, due to their setup, and the sexps used in them not being usable in MP.

Yes, this is an issue. Many missions were specifically designed for single player and therefore make expectations about what Alpha 2-4 will be doing. But there are quite a few that don't.

As for SEXPs not working in multi, I've fixed the vast majority that didn't and I'll fix any more which I'm made aware of. There are only a very limited number which can't currently be fixed.
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

Offline FUBAR-BDHR

• Self-Propelled Trouble Magnet
  • Master Drunk
    • 165th Beer Drinking Hell Raisers
There is also the matter of things like command briefings and cutscenes that don't work at all in multi so those missions need to be fixed to remove them or convert them to some other method of getting the message across. 
No-one ever listens to Zathras. Quite mad, they say. It is good that Zathras does not mind. He's even grown to like it. Oh yes. -Zathras

I'll agree that balancing the missions and upgrading them means that it is much harder than that. What I wrote was merely how to do it at a very simple level. Most people might find the missions too easy but there is always the possibility that pumping up the difficulty to insane (and maybe using Fury's AI settings) would make the game playable.
Not at the same time O_O
"Neutrality means that you don't really care, cuz the struggle goes on even when you're not there: Blind and unaware."

"We still believe in all the things that we stood by before,
and after everything we've seen here maybe even more.
I know we're not the only ones, and we were not the first,
and unapologetically we'll stand behind each word."

Offline CP5670

• Dr. Evil
  • Global Moderator
One thing that makes singleplayer missions too easy online is that people often add respawns when converting them. The co-op conversion of the main campaign is like this. Some of the campaign missions can provide a decent challenge if you play on insane and without respawns.

On the other hand, when I last played the game, support ships were messed up and respawning was the only way to reload missiles for anyone who wasn't the host. I don't know if that was ever fixed.

t'was :P
"Neutrality means that you don't really care, cuz the struggle goes on even when you're not there: Blind and unaware."

"We still believe in all the things that we stood by before,
and after everything we've seen here maybe even more.
I know we're not the only ones, and we were not the first,
and unapologetically we'll stand behind each word."

Offline 1983lux

Thanks a lot Karajorma and everyone!  Really helpful.  Keep the info coming.  I'm surprised that more coop multiplayer stuff hasn't been made for freespace in general.

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
On the other hand, when I last played the game, support ships were messed up and respawning was the only way to reload missiles for anyone who wasn't the host. I don't know if that was ever fixed.

Should be. AFAIK I fixed all the issues with reaming over a year ago.
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

Offline CP5670

• Dr. Evil
  • Global Moderator
I guess it's been too long since I played this online. :p

Oh dear god... just thinking about BP being multiplayer would be a dream come true lol

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
  • Nothing personal, just tech support.
    • Steam
    • Twitter
Yeah, no. That would be far too much trouble than it's worth. Even the most difficult of BP missions will be rather easy with more humans in the missions.

Besides, we of the BP team will need a long time out from Age of Aquarius after the rerelease.
If I'm just aching this can't go on
I came from chasing dreams to feel alone
There must be changes, miss to feel strong
I really need lifе to touch me
--Evergrey, Where August Mourns

Offline chief1983

• Still lacks a custom title
  • ⬇️⬆️⬅️⬅️🅰➡️⬇️
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Fate of the Galaxy
Doesn't stop someone from making an unofficial multi version of the campaign after release though :)
Fate of the Galaxy - Now Hiring!  Apply within | Diaspora | SCP Home | Collada Importer for PCS2
Karajorma's 'How to report bugs' | Mantis
#freespace | #scp-swc | #diaspora | #SCP | #hard-light on EsperNet

"You may not sell or otherwise commercially exploit the source or things you created based on the source." -- Excerpt from FSO license, for reference

Nuclear1:  Jesus Christ zack you're a little too hamyurger for HLP right now...
iamzack:  i dont have hamynerge i just want ptatoc hips D:
redsniper:  Platonic hips?!
iamzack:  lays

Offline dragonsniper

• Master of the Irrelevant
    • Steam
Doesn't stop someone from making an unofficial multi version of the campaign after release though :)
So there isn't a crime sentence if you do release a multi version of a campaign after the single player release?
Do or do not, there is no try...
~HLP Member and Modder~
          ~~2008-201x~~

Offline chief1983

• Still lacks a custom title
  • ⬇️⬆️⬅️⬅️🅰➡️⬇️
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Fate of the Galaxy
Only if you f*** up.  But then it's more from the fans.
Fate of the Galaxy - Now Hiring!  Apply within | Diaspora | SCP Home | Collada Importer for PCS2
Karajorma's 'How to report bugs' | Mantis
#freespace | #scp-swc | #diaspora | #SCP | #hard-light on EsperNet

"You may not sell or otherwise commercially exploit the source or things you created based on the source." -- Excerpt from FSO license, for reference

Nuclear1:  Jesus Christ zack you're a little too hamyurger for HLP right now...
iamzack:  i dont have hamynerge i just want ptatoc hips D:
redsniper:  Platonic hips?!
iamzack:  lays