Poll

What was the best (Single Player) RPG of the Decade?

Final Fantasy X (AKA The last great Final Fantasy)
3 (3.8%)
Crono Cross (Why did Square never make a sequel again?)
2 (2.6%)
Morrowind
5 (6.4%)
Oblivion
3 (3.8%)
KOTOR I
17 (21.8%)
KOTOR II
4 (5.1%)
Baldur's Gate II (I never loved it, but I understand why someone else would)
14 (17.9%)
Dragon Age: Origins
8 (10.3%)
NWN2: Mask of the Betrayer (Humor me, I loved it)
1 (1.3%)
Anachronox (Everyone forgets this one)
2 (2.6%)
Mass Effect (Personally I don't think it belongs up here, but whatever)
8 (10.3%)
Fallout 3 (Ditto)
2 (2.6%)
Other
6 (7.7%)
Arcanum
3 (3.8%)

Total Members Voted: 78

Author Topic: Best RPG of the Decade  (Read 11538 times)

Offline Ransom

• M. Night Russel
  • It will not wait.
    • Rate of Injury
So no. The ending wasn't tactful in any way. It was stupid. The entire design of the game was stupid because it was all working up to that point where it must by necessity pull a bait-and-switch on you.
The fact that they didn't have a choice doesn't really bear on my appreciation of the ending. It sounds like they'd have been aware of that limitation from the beginning. They chose to tell this story anyway. Maybe things would have been different if they'd had more liberty with the setting, but a work should be considered on its own merits.

I can understand how that knowledge would have damaged the experience for you, though.

Really? One of the big problems I had with playing MotB was that I couldn't get a feel for my character until I stormed the Academy, really. Whereas in KOTORII, half the entire story is dealing with choices that the Exile made in the past, I so I had a very good feel for her character early on.
Not sure what to tell you, Vega. I never got a good feel for the Exile's motivations. I did really like the structure of the game, and I couldn't agree more about Kreia. I just didn't have as much fun with it as I did with MotB. But I'm yet to play it with the restored content, so maybe that'll change.

Offline TrashMan

• T-tower Avenger. srsly.
  • God-Emperor of your kind!
    • Minecraft
    • FLAMES OF WAR
Whereas in KOTORII, half the entire story is dealing with choices that the Exile made in the past, I so I had a very good feel for her character early on. And her connection with Kreia was the closest one I've ever had between an NPC and a player character in a game. Thinking back, even with the restored content, only two characters that are really well developed - Kreia and the Exile, and only three others were really very interesting (Visas, Brianna, and to a lesser extent, Canderous). I liked Mira, but she just didn't get enough written for her. Atton's characterization was excellent at the beginning but he became quite boring by the end. Everyone else was filler. I never realized that playing through it though. That game lives and dies on Kreia's arthritic shoulders.

I couldn't stand Kreia.
It was so obvious she was a douche from the beginning, but the player must be forced to be a moron and play along. Never liked that part.
At least DA:O gives me the option of killing off the characters I don't trust (or at least to send them packing)
Nobody dies as a virgin - the life ****s us all!

You're a wrongularity from which no right can escape!

Kreia was the best part of KotOR2, hands-down.  Yes, it is hinted rather strongly she is Darth Trayus, but aside from that she is pure gold.  She really makes you question the Force and the Jedi, and you don't have to read a Karen Traviss novel.  She's win-win.
17:37:02   Quanto: I want to have sexual intercourse with every space elf in existence
17:37:11   SpardaSon21: even the males?
17:37:22   Quanto: its not gay if its an elf

[21:51] <@Droid803> I now realize
[21:51] <@Droid803> this will be SLIIIIIGHTLY awkward
[21:51] <@Droid803> as this rich psychic girl will now be tsundere for a loli.
[21:51] <@Droid803> OH WELLL.

See what you're missing in #WoD and #Fsquest?

[07:57:32] <Caiaphas> inspired by HerraTohtori i built a supermaneuverable plane in ksp
[07:57:43] <Caiaphas> i just killed my pilots with a high-g maneuver
[07:58:19] <Caiaphas> apparently people can't take 20 gees for 5 continuous seconds
[08:00:11] <Caiaphas> the plane however performed admirably, and only crashed because it no longer had any guidance systems

Mass Effect (Personally I don't think it belongs up here, but whatever)

Why not? You can compare it to Morrowind and Oblivion when it comes to gameplay mechanics (direct control over the character), and the story and role playing (Not the level up bit, the 'This is how my character would respond' bit, something sorely lacking in aforementioned games) are quite awesome.

Offline TrashMan

• Minecraft
    • FLAMES OF WAR
Kreia was the best part of KotOR2, hands-down.  Yes, it is hinted rather strongly she is Darth Trayus, but aside from that she is pure gold.  She really makes you question the Force and the Jedi, and you don't have to read a Karen Traviss novel.  She's win-win.

She didn't make me question anything except my sanity for bringing her along with me.
KOTOR2 plot was epic fail a far as I'm concerned.

Uh huh.  So she didn't ask you questions about the nature of the Force and about your actions and their consequences?
17:37:02   Quanto: I want to have sexual intercourse with every space elf in existence

[07:57:32] <Caiaphas> inspired by HerraTohtori i built a supermaneuverable plane in ksp
[07:58:19] <Caiaphas> apparently people can't take 20 gees for 5 continuous seconds
[08:00:11] <Caiaphas> the plane however performed admirably, and only crashed because it no longer had any guidance systems

Offline TopAce

• Stalwart contributor
  • FREDder, FSWiki editor, and tester
I know only the two KotORs. I prefer KotOR I for the general story arch and KotOR 2 for its characters (especially Kreia), dialogs, and gameplay.

What I dislike about KotOR I is that it doesn't allow you to use more than three or four Force powers, because mostly you are Level 9 when you learn your first Force power, or Level 10 if you explore Taris in its entirety.
My community contributions - Get my campaigns from here.

I already announced my retirement twice, yet here I am. If I bring up that topic again, don't believe a word.

Offline starbug

• DarkSide Animations
I choose Kotor 1 because it has an awesome story, characters and dialogue. examples Darth Revan and Malaks story are epic and sad on how things turned out for the 2 best friends. HK-47 has me in stitches. I just wish bioware would finish Revans, HK-47, bastilias story in a sequel, Not a MMO! i hate it when developers do that (i.e Blizzard  :nervous:). Now i would have gone for the Mass effect series, they truly are epic games but in my mind they are more shooters that rpgs, Dragon age was excellent but it lost my vote on how disappointing and short the ending was, it was like that they had rushed it, A cutscene with the endings for the other characters or even a narration would have been nice, but instead we get a few screens of text with a still image on it  :(
http://www.youtube.com/user/AnubisX1

if there is any consistancy with the Shivans, it's their lack of consistancy - -Norbert-

Offline headdie

• i don't use punctuation lol
  • Lawful Neutral with a Chaotic outook
    • Minecraft
    • Headdie on Deviant Art
I choose Kotor 1 because it has an awesome story, characters and dialogue. examples Darth Revan and Malaks story are epic and sad on how things turned out for the 2 best friends. HK-47 has me in stitches. I just wish bioware would finish Revans, HK-47, bastilias story in a sequel, Not a MMO! i hate it when developers do that (i.e Blizzard  :nervous:). Now i would have gone for the Mass effect series, they truly are epic games but in my mind they are more shooters that rpgs, Dragon age was excellent but it lost my vote on how disappointing and short the ending was, it was like that they had rushed it, A cutscene with the endings for the other characters or even a narration would have been nice, but instead we get a few screens of text with a still image on it  :(

HK-47 ranks as one of the funniest chars ever
Minister of Interstellar Affairs Sol Union - Retired
quote General Battuta - "FRED is canon!"
Contact me at [email protected]
My Release Thread, Old Release Thread, Celestial Objects Thread, My rubbish attempts at art

Offline TrashMan

• Minecraft
    • FLAMES OF WAR
Uh huh.  So she didn't ask you questions about the nature of the Force and about your actions and their consequences?

:doubt:
Yes, she asked a lot of stupid and forced question. That one with the beggar at Nar Shadda is especially jarring.

Also, the Force is apparently another word for "plot", since it act like it - it has whatever properties it requires. The whole "eats force" and "wound in the force" bits...uuuuuugh :ick:
stupid^10

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
I don't know why Mass Effect 2 isn't on this ASSUMING DIRECT CONTROL

I don't know why Mass Effect 2 isn't on this ASSUMING DIRECT CONTROL

Because Mass Effect 2 is the first RPG of this decade. Those on the list are from the last one.

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
Did that ruffle your hair when it went over your head?

Mass Effect 2 *is* in this decade.

The next decade starts next year.
There was no year 0.

Heh, GB, you can't exactly assume direct control anymore.  You forfeited your Global Moderator status.

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
SENTIENT BEINGS NEED NEVER FEAR PAIN

Offline redsniper

• Aim for the Top!
Mass Effect 2 *is* in this decade.

The next decade starts next year.
There was no year 0.

Nah, these are the 2010s now. Unless you want to contend that say, the 1990s started in 1991.
"Think about nice things not unhappy things.
The future makes happy, if you make it yourself.
No war; think about happy things."   -WouterSmitssm

Hard Light Productions:
"...this conversation is pointlessly confrontational."

Offline Ghostavo

• Let it be glue!
    • Twitter
So, how many years did the "first" decade have?
"Closing the Box" - a campaign in the making :nervous:

Shrike is a dirty dirty admin, he's the destroyer of souls... oh god, let it be glue...

Offline Scotty

• 1.21 gigawatts!
  • Guns, guns, guns.
If you want to nitpick, ten, but not in the same "decade" as we group them.

You know, it'd be really easy to make a year 0, since all the dates we have for B.C. (or B.C.E., if you care that much) are pretty close to guesswork anyway (ironically including the event we're supposing to measure from).

Offline Mongoose

• Rikki-Tikki-Tavi
  • Global Moderator
  • This brain for rent.
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Something
If you want to nitpick, ten, but not in the same "decade" as we group them.

You know, it'd be really easy to make a year 0, since all the dates we have for B.C. (or B.C.E., if you care that much) are pretty close to guesswork anyway (ironically including the event we're supposing to measure from).
Seriously.  As far as I'm concerned, there was a Year 0.  And even if there wasn't, why would that change anything?  Just make the first century AD/CE a special case with 99 years, and stick with 100 for the rest.

[/derail] :p