Author Topic: FRED2/FS2 Open stutter/lock up computer at Pilot Select  (Read 3139 times)

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
  • Nothing personal, just tech support.
    • Steam
    • Twitter
Re: FRED2/FS2 Open stutter/lock up computer at Pilot Select
The problem there is that once you get to see the intro cutscene, all the loading stuff has been done already. There is literally no event processing being done there that is not user driven.

As for compiler optimizations, there are only optimizations associated with SSE/SSE2 support enabled. If you can compile your own builds, it may be a good idea to do that and run the game with an attached debugger to see what is causing these wait times.
If I'm just aching this can't go on
I came from chasing dreams to feel alone
There must be changes, miss to feel strong
I really need lifе to touch me
--Evergrey, Where August Mourns

Offline Zacam

• Magnificent Bastard
  • Administrator
  • I go Sledge-O-Matic on Spammers
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Twitter
    • ModDB Feature
Also, unless I'm mistaken, the RC1 provides (as do any of chiefs nightlies) non-SSE optimized builds. If the same pause or stop is taking place there in those builds, then it is not related to compiler issues. Further, if compiler issues were the fault for this, shouldn't the issue be much more predominately occurring from the onset of their usage?

I do know that the moment the cutscene runs is when windows will ask if you will allow Freespace as a process to access the internet. It is likely that during this time, since pilot select does init networking code (in the chance that you select a Multi Pilot) that there may be a networking issue at hand.

It could also be a pilot file issue as well of some sort. Try copying your freespace2\data\players folder out to some other location (to archive it), and then go into the single and multi folders and delete the files found in them (as you will have them backed up from copying out the players folder prior to doing this) and see what happens. The game, in not finding any pilots, should prompt for creating a new one. Should it fail to do that, then we'll have to take a deeper examination of the issue with the understanding that, because it is currently an isolated case, we may be facing an issue with either your particular setup or configuration.

If the game, with absolutely no pilots present, loads just fine, then we can take a look at the contents of the players folder contents that were copied out.
Report MediaVP issues, now on the MediaVP Mantis! Read all about it Here!
Talk with the community on Discord
"If you can keep a level head in all this confusion, you just don't understand the situation"

¤[D+¬>

[08/01 16:53:11] <sigtau> EveningTea: I have decided that I am a 32-bit registerkin.  Pronouns are eax, ebx, ecx, edx.
[08/01 16:53:31] <EveningTea> dhauidahh
[08/01 16:53:32] <EveningTea> sak
[08/01 16:53:40] * EveningTea froths at the mouth
[08/01 16:53:40] <sigtau> i broke him, boys

Offline HMkX2

Thanks for enlightening me about the features.

I already tried moving my pilots to see if I could fix it. (They were inadvertently lost during an uninstall/reinstall, but Oh Well.) The problem persists, even with no pilot files at all present.

I am running a firewall, but I also suspected that and disabled all its functions as one of my tests. It did not help. Also, when I minimized FS2_Open by hitting the Windows key, and the firewall was on, there was no dialog was prompting for a connection. (I don't know what this means.)

I recently heard about Nvidia drivers (196.75) causing the fan-speed monitor to stop working (in Blizzard games) and the graphics cards to overheat and destroy themselves. I am not using that version - luckily I've been using a previously downloaded version I had (see my first post) - but I want to let you know that.

Would it hurt FS2_Open to be installed on a different physical drive than the OS? I use a different drive for applications (I:\ in the logs), and FS2_Open is installed under I:\Fs2Prog\ . Would that possibly cause it?

Offline Zacam

• Magnificent Bastard
  • Administrator
  • I go Sledge-O-Matic on Spammers
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Twitter
    • ModDB Feature
It should not have any problems with that. I've run FSO from a CF card.
Report MediaVP issues, now on the MediaVP Mantis! Read all about it Here!
Talk with the community on Discord
"If you can keep a level head in all this confusion, you just don't understand the situation"

¤[D+¬>

[08/01 16:53:11] <sigtau> EveningTea: I have decided that I am a 32-bit registerkin.  Pronouns are eax, ebx, ecx, edx.
[08/01 16:53:31] <EveningTea> dhauidahh
[08/01 16:53:32] <EveningTea> sak
[08/01 16:53:40] * EveningTea froths at the mouth
[08/01 16:53:40] <sigtau> i broke him, boys