Author Topic: Titans and Raynors  (Read 28376 times)

Offline Snail

• SC 5
Wow this topic grew an arm, a leg and bought some trousers while I was gone. :P

Just to throw this out there, the Elders aren't just religious fanatics - There is a lot of reason to believe that the Elders, like Samuel Bei, can communicate with very advanced races, like the Vishnans.

The GTVA might be concentrating on hard power but the Elders could actually have the ability to do a lot more than the GTVA imagine. The Elders almost bridge the gap between the mythological aspects of FS/BP lore with politics.

(speculation)

Offline Androgeos Exeunt

• Captain Oblivious
  • Prevents attraction.
    • Wordpress.com Blog
I think it is now safe to assume that there are more people who can communicate with the Vishnans than we may realise... :nervous:
My blog

Quote: Tuesday, 3 October 2023 0133 UTC +8, #general
MP-Ryan
Oh you still believe in fairy tales like Santa, the Easter Bunny, and free market competition principles?

Offline Thaeris

• Can take his lumps
  • Away in Limbo
Mind Games!

...and also,...

A wizard did it!
"trolls are clearly social rejects and therefore should be isolated from society, or perhaps impaled."

-Nuke

"Look on the bright side, how many release dates have been given for Doomsday, and it still isn't out yet.

It's the Duke Nukem Forever of prophecies..."

"Jesus saves.

Everyone else takes normal damage.
"

-Flipside

"pirating software is a lesser evil than stealing but its still evil. but since i pride myself for being evil, almost anything is fair game."

"i never understood why women get the creeps so ****ing easily. i mean most serial killers act perfectly normal, until they kill you."

-Nuke

Offline High Max

• Permanently banned
;-)
« Last Edit: May 25, 2010, 10:30:39 pm by High Max »
;-)   #.#   *_*   ^^   ^-^   ^_^

Offline NGTM-1R

• I reject your reality and substitute my own
  • Syndral Active. 0410.
Go ahead, then, demonstrate it to me.

Everything you've said about the UEF military in WiH. :P
"Load sabot. Target Zaku, direct front!"

A Feddie Story

Offline Scotty

• 1.21 gigawatts!
  • Guns, guns, guns.
And Scotty tells me to stick to the topic :blah: Talking about BP in a more generalized manner is more interesting anyways.

I say you should stop fishing for answers.  We'll get them when they want us to get them. :P

Anyway, do we have any confirming evidence that Vishnans even, for lack of a better word, exist in this particular (once again, for lack of a better word) dimension?

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
Go ahead, then, demonstrate it to me.

Everything you've said about the UEF military in WiH. :P

I'm not sure that proves what you're trying to say. It just shows that the UEF military wasn't in a great place when the GTVA kicked down the node after 50 years of peace, isolation, and - as far as anyone knew - guaranteed safety.

The UEF's economic and technological prowess, never mind its social cohesion, could produce a formidable war effort under the right circumstances. You can't say they haven't 'invested in preparedness' when their infrastructure is so well-developed. It's not hard to start making things what go boom and not hard to train the people to use them - at least not when you've already got good industry and education in place.

Offline High Max

• Permanently banned
;-)
« Last Edit: May 25, 2010, 10:30:25 pm by High Max »

Offline NGTM-1R

• I reject your reality and substitute my own
  • Syndral Active. 0410.
I'm not sure that proves what you're trying to say. It just shows that the UEF military wasn't in a great place when the GTVA kicked down the node after 50 years of peace, isolation, and - as far as anyone knew - guaranteed safety.

The UEF's economic and technological prowess, never mind its social cohesion, could produce a formidable war effort under the right circumstances. You can't say they haven't 'invested in preparedness' when their infrastructure is so well-developed. It's not hard to start making things what go boom and not hard to train the people to use them - at least not when you've already got good industry and education in place.

I direct you to modern Europe, which would be hard-pressed to deploy 10,000 troops on short notice.

It does take time. We're not talking about a situation where weapons systems are simple like they were in the Second World War and even that took effort. The US fleet that won the war in the Pacific was authorized with the Vinson Bill in 1938. It took five years from ordering to commissioning of the first carrier hulls, in peacetime. Specifications for the aircraft that would fly from them were issued anywhere from two to four years before they were fielded. You cannot extemporize a navy. You can extemporize an army, but even in doing that you cannot expect to defeat professional opponents in open combat.

The economic and industrial manner in which the Shivans would be defeated, if that's possible, is going to be based on the Soviet Union post-WW2, with a professional military force plus massive stocks of equipment and material awaiting rapid mobilization in time of trouble.

This is because in the face of a Shivan invasion, the most precious of commodities is time, measured in weeks and days. There are no natural barriers worthy of the name to retard Shivan progress. Only force of arms can do that, and the force the Shivans can bring to bear increases exponentionally the longer the conflict lasts. Unless you can match that exponential increase in weeks, there's no reason to believe you'll win. Even being extremely generous and saying the UEF can produce a formidible war effort in three years...that's going to be two years and eleven months too late when dealing with the Shivans. Unless the ships are there in service or in mothballs, the fightercraft and weapons lines running a constant low-rate or even full-rate production in anticipation, then none of it is going to make a meaningful contribution to a war against the Shivans.
« Last Edit: March 01, 2010, 05:35:25 pm by NGTM-1R »
"Load sabot. Target Zaku, direct front!"

A Feddie Story

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
Sure, but I'm not arguing that the UEF is ready for a Shivan invasion right now. They didn't, so far as they knew, have any reason to be.

As a culture, though, they have the ability to be tremendous contributors in the long term. They've got a tradition of industry, science, and education, and they're industrially very potent. Their naval engineers are not remotely bad.

There's additional information here that I can't divulge yet, but The_E's earlier remark about the Culture may be telling with some thought.
« Last Edit: March 01, 2010, 05:39:01 pm by General Battuta »

Offline High Max

• Permanently banned
;-)
« Last Edit: May 25, 2010, 10:31:02 pm by High Max »

Why wouldn't the UEF try to prepare for the next Shivan invasion?  Isn't it mentioned at the end of FS1 that the Shivans will return, and that they have the technology to reopen the Sol-Delta Serpentis jump node?  If I was in control of the Earth government, I would definitely try to have an extremely powerful navy in case the Terrans and Vasudans outside Sol fell and the Shivans reopened the node.
17:37:02   Quanto: I want to have sexual intercourse with every space elf in existence
17:37:11   SpardaSon21: even the males?
17:37:22   Quanto: its not gay if its an elf

[21:51] <@Droid803> I now realize
[21:51] <@Droid803> this will be SLIIIIIGHTLY awkward
[21:51] <@Droid803> as this rich psychic girl will now be tsundere for a loli.
[21:51] <@Droid803> OH WELLL.

See what you're missing in #WoD and #Fsquest?

[07:57:32] <Caiaphas> inspired by HerraTohtori i built a supermaneuverable plane in ksp
[07:57:43] <Caiaphas> i just killed my pilots with a high-g maneuver
[07:58:19] <Caiaphas> apparently people can't take 20 gees for 5 continuous seconds
[08:00:11] <Caiaphas> the plane however performed admirably, and only crashed because it no longer had any guidance systems

Offline High Max

• Permanently banned
;-)
« Last Edit: May 25, 2010, 10:31:18 pm by High Max »

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
Why wouldn't the UEF try to prepare for the next Shivan invasion?  Isn't it mentioned at the end of FS1 that the Shivans will return, and that they have the technology to reopen the Sol-Delta Serpentis jump node?  If I was in control of the Earth government, I would definitely try to have an extremely powerful navy in case the Terrans and Vasudans outside Sol fell and the Shivans reopened the node.

Now, that's an interesting question, isn't it?

Offline High Max

• Permanently banned
;-)
« Last Edit: May 25, 2010, 10:31:27 pm by High Max »

Now, that's an interesting question, isn't it?

Cryptic answer is cryptic.

Just keep up with the minor fluff answers. It makes the waiting more bearable.

Offline Aardwolf

• Minecraft
I seem to recall someone on-staff mentioning (possibly on IRC) that there was some significance in how close Beta Aquilae, the GTVA 'capital', is to Sol, as far as jumps between them.

Dunno what, though...

Offline High Max

• Permanently banned
;-)
« Last Edit: May 25, 2010, 10:31:42 pm by High Max »

Offline Colonol Dekker

• HLP is my mistress
  • Aken Tigh Dekker- you've probably heard me
    • My old squad sub-domain
:o

I think it's all a big trick. Halfway through Sam wakes up about to launch from the Orestes in mission one.
Campaigns I've added my distinctiveness to-
- Blue Planet: Battle Captains
-Battle of Neptune
-Between the Ashes 2
-Blue planet: Age of Aquarius
-FOTG?
-Inferno R1
-Ribos: The aftermath / -Retreat from Deneb
-Sol: A History
-TBP EACW teaser
-Earth Brakiri war
-TBP Fortune Hunters (I think?)
-TBP Relic
-Trancsend (Possibly?)
-Uncharted Territory
-Vassagos Dirge
-War Machine
(Others lost to the mists of time and no discernible audit trail)

Your friendly Orestes tactical controller.

Secret bomb God.
That one time I got permabanned and got to read who was being bitxhy about me :p....
GO GO DEKKER RANGERSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
President of the Scooby Doo Model Appreciation Society
The only good Zod is a dead Zod
NEWGROUNDS COMEDY GOLD, UPDATED DAILY
http://badges.steamprofile.com/profile/default/steam/76561198011784807.png

Offline High Max

• Permanently banned
;-)
« Last Edit: May 25, 2010, 10:32:02 pm by High Max »