Author Topic: Caprica 1x07 "The Imperfections of Memory" [Spoilers]  (Read 4012 times)

Offline Rebound

Caprica 1x07 "The Imperfections of Memory" [Spoilers]
What did everybody think?  and more importantly.... VIPERS!!!!

Forgot to say that I think it was one of the best if not THE best episode so far. The individual character threads were all amazing and the ending of the episode was excellent, I'm happy to see everything starting to finally gel. I hope we get to see a time jump next season or maybe in a couple seasons and we actually get to see the war. I know it's unlikely but one can always hope.

Offline FUBAR-BDHR

• Self-Propelled Trouble Magnet
  • Master Drunk
    • 165th Beer Drinking Hell Raisers
Re: Caprica 1x07 "The Imperfections of Memory" [Spoilers]
Loved it and yes flight simulator ships (wouldn't call them Vipers)!!!!!!!!!!!

The logic with the trees was excellent.  Now if we can just get that into the FSO engine. 
No-one ever listens to Zathras. Quite mad, they say. It is good that Zathras does not mind. He's even grown to like it. Oh yes. -Zathras

Offline Wolfy

Loved it and yes flight simulator ships (wouldn't call them Vipers)!!!!!!!!!!!

The logic with the trees was excellent.  Now if we can just get that into the FSO engine. 

Well, they where called Vipers in the episode. The real question is, are they the Mk1 Vipers, or are they a totally different lineage of fighters which share the same name? (Theres been plenty of fighters called Lightnings on Earth). I can personally live with either option.

Also of note: Cylons can't fly vipers :P You have to wonder though, is it not possible for them to fly most colonial ships due to a 'human' element to them? and if so, do Graystone Industries or someone else build the Raiders and Baseships that are Cylon compatable? justs omthingi see as interesting.

Personally,i fealt it was defineately an ok episode, still ot quite as good as the one a couple of episodes ago. However, does Graystone know zoes in the robot now? or does he just think the difference is that he tried to put Zoe in it? Intersting questions to find the answer to, next week i hope :P
Wolfy - Ship Modeler for SBP07

I loved how they had there own FS2 game.The viper could be a mk 1 and the MK1 (tos viper) we think of could be really the MK2.Its also possible that the "MK2" should be re classified as a MK2-B.

Another answer is that the viper is the unofficial nick name to that fighter.Like in real life how even though the official name of the F-16 is the Falcon its nickname is the viper.Because it well looks like a tos bsg viper.This fighter is just a generation behind the real vipers.

I also wonder what came first the vipers we think of or the cylon raiders.I believe that the orginal ships the cylons use are designed by other companys rather than the cylons themselves.

I also dont think that the cylons are going to be all humans in robot bodys.Because Zoe came up with a great reason why they cant all be.With having every chip different and all.
« Last Edit: March 13, 2010, 02:59:33 pm by FreespacePilot2010 »

Offline Wolfy

They could put the same 'personality'/program onto every single chip though. Get the toughest soldier on Caprica, fgather all the information on him, make the avatar, copy and paste the avatar program into every chip. Surely that would make all the chips the same?
Wolfy - Ship Modeler for SBP07

Offline newman

That mark 1 viper was actually seen in the show briefly (mini series galactica flight pod museum), so this wasn't it. This one looked to me like it was a purely atmospheric fighter - could be wrong tho. They sure weren't designed to fit battlestar launch tubes though..
There are several explanations of these fighters I can think of;
1) All colonial main fighter lines are called vipers. As such people start calling any fighter a "viper" in their speech.
2) This could be a separate line of atmospheric only "vipers" which had different designations, and the mark 1 was the first true space viper?
3) This fighter doesn't exist outside the virtual world, it was designed for a game. Or it's a sim using some historic old viper (pre-mk1, different designations back then). Like our current ww2 sims - this one could be technologically on the level of say, the f-14 or something similar. When I look at them better they kinda look like a hornet had an illicit love affair with an a-6 and this is their bastard child :)

At any rate, good episode.

« Last Edit: March 13, 2010, 07:22:27 pm by newman »
You know what the chain of command is? It's the chain I go get and beat you with 'til ya understand who's in ruttin' command here! - Jayne Cobb

Offline FUBAR-BDHR

• Self-Propelled Trouble Magnet
  • Master Drunk
    • 165th Beer Drinking Hell Raisers
You forgot a few

It's the first Viper.  MK1 is the first update.  It also could be a Caprica Viper and there could be say Tauron Vipers.  Each colony having their own military in this time period.   MK1 eventually becomes the standardization of these Vipers. 
No-one ever listens to Zathras. Quite mad, they say. It is good that Zathras does not mind. He's even grown to like it. Oh yes. -Zathras

Offline newman

Possibly yea. Heck maybe the first viper was a biplane with a canvas over wooden frame hull construction - it wouldn't surprise me after all the crimson skies stuff in V-World :)
Point is, there are many ways to explain that the mk1 viper doesn't actually mean it was the first viper ever. Confusing designation system, sure, but there's plenty of that in real life as well.
Anyway I found one thing funny in this episode - when Zoe complains that all trees look the same and her date says they didn't want to program a million different trees in. Zoe then proceeds to explain her idea on doing it, which is in short - procedurally generated trees :D
Since we know about procedurally generated stuff right now guess we're all l33t hax0rs compared to the colonials, as procedural object generation is treated like such a brilliant innovation in the show :)
« Last Edit: March 13, 2010, 07:45:12 pm by newman »
You know what the chain of command is? It's the chain I go get and beat you with 'til ya understand who's in ruttin' command here! - Jayne Cobb

Procedurally generated Cylons.LOL.

Somehow I dont think Diaspora will be as good looking as that flight simulator though.

Well, why don't you invent the holoband then so it will look as good as that flight simulator? :p
17:37:02   Quanto: I want to have sexual intercourse with every space elf in existence
17:37:11   SpardaSon21: even the males?
17:37:22   Quanto: its not gay if its an elf

[21:51] <@Droid803> I now realize
[21:51] <@Droid803> this will be SLIIIIIGHTLY awkward
[21:51] <@Droid803> as this rich psychic girl will now be tsundere for a loli.
[21:51] <@Droid803> OH WELLL.

See what you're missing in #WoD and #Fsquest?

[07:57:32] <Caiaphas> inspired by HerraTohtori i built a supermaneuverable plane in ksp
[07:57:43] <Caiaphas> i just killed my pilots with a high-g maneuver
[07:58:19] <Caiaphas> apparently people can't take 20 gees for 5 continuous seconds
[08:00:11] <Caiaphas> the plane however performed admirably, and only crashed because it no longer had any guidance systems

Offline newman

Well that sea was actually pretty bad. We have higher standards here :p

Offline FraktuRe

• Not stupid enough
  • Cheesy oneliner, *****es!
    • Fraktured Reality
Funnily enough the V world looks better than a lot of the scenes in RL, such as the pyramid games.
Or something.
There’s nothing like the truth skewed into the mind of the insane.
- Fraktured Reality
The artist formerly known as Cl1nt.

Offline YIIMM

I was never sure of how genuine they were, but Modeler Magic has a few images of what they claim to be a Mk XIII Viper (that's 13, not 8) made by Zoic.

Still fairly uncertain, but the gun position and wing sweep give it more than a passing resemblence to the Caprica Viper

Offline FraktuRe

• Not stupid enough
  • Cheesy oneliner, *****es!
    • Fraktured Reality
That was concept for a viper from the 13th tribe, earth. It never made it in.
Or something.
There’s nothing like the truth skewed into the mind of the insane.
- Fraktured Reality
The artist formerly known as Cl1nt.

Offline newman

That, and it's really not that similar.

Yeah.It looks to Cylon anyway.Like a hybrid ship of colonial and cylon tech.Mabey thats from when the 13th tribe was still going to be Cylon but before they changed it so they were all wiped out by there own machines.Like the Colonials.This concept was probably going for that the 13th tribe is still all alive.

Actually, the cockpit for the unused viper is identical to that of the Mark II, and in the closing scene of  "Crossroads," Kara's Mark II is all CG, even in the close-ups where they would've normally greenscreened in the prop (and, in fact, did greenscreen the prop in the following scenes in "He That Believeth In Me"). My guess is that they considered having Starbuck return in a Viper from Earth instead of the one she died in, but either weren't sure or were unable to build a new prop in secret (or in the time left), so they intentionally designed it so they could use a Mark II cockpit in its place. The design, of course, would've been a (not at all) subtle clue about the twist that the original Colonists on Earth were Cylons, and that they were explicitly connected with the modern cylons. We probably would've ultimately learned that Viper was an ancient Earth design, and not contemporary as the characters would've assumed. But, in the end, they went in a different direction.

Apparently, even thought the Thirteenth Tribe Viper fell through, the idea of using a Viper design to show a common history between Cylons and Man has survived in the atmospheric Viper, which, with it's forward-swept wings, pentagon decal, and dual engines, almost looks more like a Raider than a Viper precursor.

Offline LordMelvin

• emacs ftw
  • VI OR DEATH! DOWN WITH EMACS!
... the idea of using a Viper design to show a common history between Cylons and Man has survived in the atmospheric Viper, which, with it's forward-swept wings, pentagon decal, and dual engines, almost looks more like a Raider than a Viper precursor.

Which leads to the obvious next point, which we'll likely see when Caprica comes closer to its imminent violent climactic thingey a season or two in, of who designs the raider... Cylons, Greystone, Vergis...
Error: ls.rnd.sig.txt not found

I saw a fun suggestion on another forum that the reason the old raiders had three centurion pilots, rather than one, or being self-piloted like the modern raiders, was that it was a scam by Greystone so anyone who bought a raider would need to also need to buy three centurions to fly it.

Got my screwed up Mk V I made for BtRL awhile back:
http://www.kewltoyz.com/GameShots.shtm

I'm not sure about that MkVIII looks kind of lame compared to the stuff in the new series.
Even the Caprica models look better.