Author Topic: MindGames isn't dead...  (Read 41600 times)

Offline Nuclear1

MindGames isn't dead...
In fact, it was released six weeks ago.

The fact this forum is still here...IS IT'S JUST A BIG MINDGAME.

I figured you out Kara :p
Spoon - I stand in awe by your flawless fredding. Truely, never before have I witnessed such magnificant display of beamz.
Axem -  I don't know what I'll do with my life now. Maybe I'll become a Nun, or take up Macrame. But where ever I go... I will remember you!
Axem - Sorry to post again when I said I was leaving for good, but something was nagging me. I don't want to say it in a way that shames the campaign but I think we can all agree it is actually.. incomplete. It is missing... Voice Acting.
Quanto - I for one would love to lend my beautiful singing voice into this wholesome project.
Nuclear1 - I want a duet.
AndrewofDoom - Make it a trio!

Offline Snail

• SC 5
Re: MindGames isn't dead...
:wtf:

Offline TopAce

• Stalwart contributor
  • FREDder, FSWiki editor, and tester
You're three days late.
My community contributions - Get my campaigns from here.

I already announced my retirement twice, yet here I am. If I bring up that topic again, don't believe a word.

Offline Thaeris

• Can take his lumps
  • Away in Limbo
One word.

HHSSSSS.
"trolls are clearly social rejects and therefore should be isolated from society, or perhaps impaled."

-Nuke

"Look on the bright side, how many release dates have been given for Doomsday, and it still isn't out yet.

It's the Duke Nukem Forever of prophecies..."

"Jesus saves.

Everyone else takes normal damage.
"

-Flipside

"pirating software is a lesser evil than stealing but its still evil. but since i pride myself for being evil, almost anything is fair game."

"i never understood why women get the creeps so ****ing easily. i mean most serial killers act perfectly normal, until they kill you."

-Nuke

Offline Snail

• SC 5
The study of molluscan shells is called conchology.

The US armed forces are currently investing money into finding military applications of the study.

Offline Nuclear1

Spoon - I stand in awe by your flawless fredding. Truely, never before have I witnessed such magnificant display of beamz.
Axem -  I don't know what I'll do with my life now. Maybe I'll become a Nun, or take up Macrame. But where ever I go... I will remember you!
Axem - Sorry to post again when I said I was leaving for good, but something was nagging me. I don't want to say it in a way that shames the campaign but I think we can all agree it is actually.. incomplete. It is missing... Voice Acting.
Quanto - I for one would love to lend my beautiful singing voice into this wholesome project.
Nuclear1 - I want a duet.
AndrewofDoom - Make it a trio!

Offline starlord

any news to grace mindgames yet?

Offline Geezer

• Methuselah

Yes, yes, do tell. Even retired senior citizens want to know...
If a man walks in the desert and speaks where no woman can hear, is he still wrong?

Offline Snail

• SC 5
You're still around? Man I forgot Command forgot about us...

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
Huh?  Isn't that up to you, as one of the project leaders? :p

Offline newman

Still have hope it'll resurrect one day. I like the idea behind it very much.
You know what the chain of command is? It's the chain I go get and beat you with 'til ya understand who's in ruttin' command here! - Jayne Cobb

Offline starlord

I think it's actually more on hiatus than dead, much like machina and the scroll... Perhaps kara might give us more info!

and yeah, a campaign centering on the rare vasudan elements stranded on earth is quite uncommon. I would love to see more!

Offline TopAce

• Stalwart contributor
Scroll is making progress. It's slow, but it's progress nonetheless.

I already announced my retirement twice, yet here I am. If I bring up that topic again, don't believe a word.

Offline starlord

great to hear indeed! could you also comment on mindgames, topace?

Offline TopAce

• Stalwart contributor
I can't say much, because there isn't much to say. The last internal post is from March 2008.

Though I have an MG badge, I am (was?) not a core MG staffer. I only FREDded some missions. I don't know what's going on behind the scenes, if there's anything.

Offline Mongoose

• Rikki-Tikki-Tavi
  • Global Moderator
  • This brain for rent.
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Something
I think karajorma has said in the past that he'll get back to work on MindGames after he finishes up work on some other projects.  It's definitely not permanently abandoned.

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
But "some other projects" undoubtedly includes Diaspora, and that's liable to keep him tied up for a long time, even after it's released.

It might be worth considering handing the project off to an enterprising upstart young project leader.

Offline starlord

as long as that's it, then there's certainly hope! :nod:

Offline Fury

• The Curmudgeon
But "some other projects" undoubtedly includes Diaspora, and that's liable to keep him tied up for a long time, even after it's released.

It might be worth considering handing the project off to an enterprising upstart young project leader.
If only more people would do what karajorma did, focus on one thing at a time. The community has severe lack of certain skills and a lot of projects are chugging along very slowly because resources are spread thin. Instead people could focus and finish one project at a time, then move to another. Supporting previous projects won't take as much time as active development does. Assuming of course that it's done properly the first time, which it should if skilled people work together.

For example, Diaspora would be finished much, much faster if more people would focus on it, finish it and then move on. This adds a lot of pressure to project management though, but it's very much doable.

But this isn't going to happen. People will always work on their "pet projects", spread few resources even thinner and as a result everything takes forever to finish. And then there are people who just enjoy joining every conceivable project out there, but never really communicate, cooperate or get anything useful done.

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
Fury has basically summed up my attitude. Diaspora takes up large swathes of my free time and what time it doesn't take up is spent on coding.

That said I still haven't forgotten about MindGames and I definitely want to do it. Currently my intention is to rebuild the team and get everyone working again as soon as R1 of Diaspora is out. Hopefully that isn't as far away as it sounds. :D

I suspect we'll probably take a leaf out of Blue Planet's book and make everything based on publicly available mods. We were previously going for about 80-90% community released stuff anyway (MG was always about the storyline and not the mods).

The big issue is how much of the previously FREDded content will still stand up today. I know that a couple of the missions will probably be okay with minor tweaks but a few will probably need to be completely re-FREDded to bring them up to 2010 standards.

So yeah, definitely not dead. Not on hiatus much longer too hopefully. :p
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]