Author Topic: ALRIGHT, THAT'S IT!  (Read 6277 times)

Offline Thaeris

• Can take his lumps
  • Away in Limbo
Apart from being tired of the mother****ing snakes in my mother****ing FreeSpace (I'm looking at YOU, Nuclear!), in a fit of sudden rage/inspiration, I also determined I was tired of the state of the current GTF Apollo. That said, I'm determined to get a better mesh of the fighter to everyone at some point.

Note that I say at some point - I have... many commitments among actually important scholastic commitments to attend to. Thus, I give my apologies in advance to Headdie, ShadowGorrath, and those wanting a new GTF Kulas for cluttering my schedule with things that further delay those projects.  :P

I've not too much to show as of yet, but the first objective to attend to is to refine the cockpit section. It's actually trikier than you think...

[attachment deleted by admin]
"trolls are clearly social rejects and therefore should be isolated from society, or perhaps impaled."

-Nuke

"Look on the bright side, how many release dates have been given for Doomsday, and it still isn't out yet.

It's the Duke Nukem Forever of prophecies..."

"Jesus saves.

Everyone else takes normal damage.
"

-Flipside

"pirating software is a lesser evil than stealing but its still evil. but since i pride myself for being evil, almost anything is fair game."

"i never understood why women get the creeps so ****ing easily. i mean most serial killers act perfectly normal, until they kill you."

-Nuke

Offline Rodo

• Custom tittle
  • stargazer
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
The Apollo is kind of outdated right now so I guess it's alright.
el hombre vicio...

Offline Snail

• SC 5
Please take reference from the concept art as well as the opening cutscene.

Offline Thaeris

• Can take his lumps
  • Away in Limbo
My primary references are the original mesh, some aspects of... was it Galemp or Vasudan Admiral who did the HTL Apollo?... the current high-poly mesh, as well as the cutscene. The idea is to capture what we know from way-back of the Apollo while not diverging too far from it - I'm not going to pull a Boa here.

...I will note that I will NOT include a forward canopy pillar when I get around to that component, and I will make sure an appropriately-sized pilot/pilot and WSO (for the GTB Apollo  ;7) get placed in the cockpit. I'm also going to axe those hideous "frog-ears" on the current HTL model. The cutscene model (my primary source for general shape) didn't have them, and I won't suffer to put those things on.

As for hull details, the current HTL mesh got most of them right in my opinion, and now it's just a matter of adding some finer details to them. Everything else should be fixed with a new texture map... I'm no texture artist, so hopefully someone will step forward to take care of that problem.

Now, I'm not opposed to using the concept art so long as it doesn't contradict too much detail from what we know of in-game. The Wiki certainly has a concept art page, but it's at a pretty low resolution. What VP should I crack into to find this stuff? Knowing that could help quite a bit.

Lastly, I'll post the current developmental from my notebook - I'm trying to maintain the main slab-sided surfaces of the Apollo's cockpit armor, and the primary reference apart from the cutscence model is the original Apollo mesh, which undoubtably was derived from the cutscene ship or vice-versa (the similarities as well as certain texture regions are just too obvious). However, upon noting the cutscene and looking at the mesh, there is a little more curvature than you'd think to the ship, hence the reason for the higher poly-count apparent in the... rather early stages of the model you've seen so far. Getting the "slabs" right while avoiding the "dents" (which were certainly not intended to be there as a design feature) is something that no one has seemed to get so far...

[attachment deleted by admin]
"trolls are clearly social rejects and therefore should be isolated from society, or perhaps impaled."

-Nuke

"Look on the bright side, how many release dates have been given for Doomsday, and it still isn't out yet.

"Jesus saves.

"

-Flipside

"pirating software is a lesser evil than stealing but its still evil. but since i pride myself for being evil, almost anything is fair game."

"i never understood why women get the creeps so ****ing easily. i mean most serial killers act perfectly normal, until they kill you."

-Nuke

Offline Colonol Dekker

• HLP is my mistress
  • Aken Tigh Dekker- you've probably heard me
    • My old squad sub-domain
In a non-racist way. . . Keep it white please.

No red crap on it.
Campaigns I've added my distinctiveness to-
- Blue Planet: Battle Captains
-Battle of Neptune
-Between the Ashes 2
-Blue planet: Age of Aquarius
-FOTG?
-Inferno R1
-Ribos: The aftermath / -Retreat from Deneb
-Sol: A History
-TBP EACW teaser
-Earth Brakiri war
-TBP Fortune Hunters (I think?)
-TBP Relic
-Trancsend (Possibly?)
-Uncharted Territory
-Vassagos Dirge
-War Machine
(Others lost to the mists of time and no discernible audit trail)

Your friendly Orestes tactical controller.

Secret bomb God.
That one time I got permabanned and got to read who was being bitxhy about me :p....
GO GO DEKKER RANGERSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
President of the Scooby Doo Model Appreciation Society
The only good Zod is a dead Zod
NEWGROUNDS COMEDY GOLD, UPDATED DAILY
http://badges.steamprofile.com/profile/default/steam/76561198011784807.png

Offline Galemp

• Actual father of Samus
  • Ask me about GORT!
    • Steam
    • User page on the FreeSpace Wiki
I am also of the opinion that it should remain white, but a reskin would be nice.

The original high-poly model is my own, but of course if you believe you can improve upon it feel free to do so. And anything you add with a normal map, please do! :)
"Anyone can do any amount of work, provided it isn't the work he's supposed to be doing at that moment." -- Robert Benchley

Members I've personally met: RedStreblo, Goober5000, Sandwich, Splinter, Su-tehp, Hippo, CP5670, Terran Emperor, Karajorma, Dekker, McCall, Admiral Wolf, mxlm, RedSniper, Stealth, Black Wolf...

Offline Thaeris

• Can take his lumps
  • Away in Limbo
In a non-racist way. . . Keep it white please.

No red crap on it.

Hey! I liked the red!

...But, as I said, I'm not up to par in the texture department - someone else will hopefully volunteer for the various maps. Now, once I have a "GTB Apollo," that of course will be red. However, I think a beat-up white and grey scheme will suit the standard fighter well.

-Nuke

"Jesus saves.

"

-Flipside

-Nuke

Offline mjn.mixael

• Cutscene Master
  • Chopped liver
    • Steam
    • Twitter
I would be VERY interested in a GTB Apollo for my cutscene project!

I'll probably finish up the Intro with the current HTL and when/if the GTB becomes available I'll replace the model and render out a new version.
Cutscene Upgrade Project - Mainhall Remakes - Between the Ashes
Youtube Channel - P3D Model Box
Between the Ashes is looking for committed testers, PM me for details.
Freespace Upgrade Project See what's happening.

Offline redsniper

• Aim for the Top!
Alright, I love the Apollo! I might have use for it should I ever get around to working on... something something.
"Think about nice things not unhappy things.
The future makes happy, if you make it yourself.
No war; think about happy things."   -WouterSmitssm

Hard Light Productions:
"...this conversation is pointlessly confrontational."

Offline Colonol Dekker

• HLP is my mistress
  • Aken Tigh Dekker- you've probably heard me
    • My old squad sub-domain
Anything new?
Campaigns I've added my distinctiveness to-
- Blue Planet: Battle Captains
-Battle of Neptune
-Between the Ashes 2
-Blue planet: Age of Aquarius
-FOTG?
-Inferno R1
-Ribos: The aftermath / -Retreat from Deneb
-Sol: A History
-TBP EACW teaser
-Earth Brakiri war
-TBP Fortune Hunters (I think?)
-TBP Relic
-Trancsend (Possibly?)
-Uncharted Territory
-Vassagos Dirge
-War Machine
(Others lost to the mists of time and no discernible audit trail)

Your friendly Orestes tactical controller.

Secret bomb God.
That one time I got permabanned and got to read who was being bitxhy about me :p....
GO GO DEKKER RANGERSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
President of the Scooby Doo Model Appreciation Society
The only good Zod is a dead Zod
NEWGROUNDS COMEDY GOLD, UPDATED DAILY
http://badges.steamprofile.com/profile/default/steam/76561198011784807.png

Offline Thaeris

• Can take his lumps
  • Away in Limbo
I've been rather busy lately, so no, not really.

However, I'll be the first to let you know when I've made some progress.

:)

-Nuke

"Jesus saves.

"

-Flipside

-Nuke

Offline Galemp

• Actual father of Samus
  • Ask me about GORT!
    • Steam
Well it's not like there's any other HLP members looking over your shoulder who can beat you to it.
"Anyone can do any amount of work, provided it isn't the work he's supposed to be doing at that moment." -- Robert Benchley

Members I've personally met: RedStreblo, Goober5000, Sandwich, Splinter, Su-tehp, Hippo, CP5670, Terran Emperor, Karajorma, Dekker, McCall, Admiral Wolf, mxlm, RedSniper, Stealth, Black Wolf...

Offline Thaeris

• Can take his lumps
  • Away in Limbo
I'm quite thankful there is interest in this, though, so many thanks for the replies.

I've been busy with near-end-of-semester things as well as many other projects - the Apollo certainly isn't the only one.

I did do some alternate developmental work far from the conventional a while back - I discussed it over IRC. However, for those of you not there:

So, after being rather fed-up with not being able to find the appropriate way to blend the foremost panel section of the Apollo's nose cone, I found a small scrap of pine and whittled away at it with a Fiskars hatchet as an alternate means of visualizing the desired curvature - it's surprising what seems so simple to do is actually rather difficult in practice! This most certainly must be the reason no one's fixed the "dents" in the Apollo's nose before.  :P

-Nuke

"Jesus saves.

"

-Flipside

-Nuke

Offline Galemp

• Actual father of Samus
  • Ask me about GORT!
    • Steam
So you're literally hacking away at this model? :lol:

Offline Thaeris

• Can take his lumps
  • Away in Limbo
There were better angles with which to get a view at the curvature of the block, but the picture was a quick job so as to post something on IRC. A full physical model of the Apollo would be pretty cool, though.  :lol:

-Nuke

"Jesus saves.

"

-Flipside

-Nuke

Offline Commander Zane

• Spoot Knight of Anvils
I'm quite thankful there is interest in this, though, so many thanks for the replies.
Well of course, the Apollo is one of the most epic ships around. :D

Offline sigtau

• unfortunate technical art assclown
The Apollo is the perfect fighter, except that it's got a huge target profile from above and below.

Other than that, can't complain about it.
Who uses forum signatures anymore?

Offline Snail

• SC 5
Well, very bad spacing on the missile banks means you can't use dumbfires.

Offline MatthTheGeek

• Captain Obvious
  • Frenchie McFrenchface
Yeah, but Furies are terrible anyway. Nothing compared to the Tempest. Dumbfire aren't too helpful in the GW-era.
People are stupid, therefore anything popular is at best suspicious.

Mod management tools     -     Wiki stuff!     -     Help us help you

666maslo666: Releasing a finished product is not a good thing! It is a modern fad.

SpardaSon21: it seems like you exist in a permanent state of half-joking misanthropy

Axem: when you put it like that, i sound like an insane person

bigchunk1: it's not retarded it's american!
bigchunk1: ...

batwota: steele's maneuvering for the coup de gras
MatthTheGeek: you mispelled grĂ¢ce
Awaesaar: grace
batwota: oh right :P
Darius: ah!
Darius: yes, i like that
MatthTheGeek: the way you just spelled it it means fat
Awaesaar: +accent I forgot how to keyboard
MatthTheGeek: or grease
Darius: the killing fat!
Axem: jabba does the coup de gras