Author Topic: Effects package release! :P  (Read 15944 times)

Offline Nighteyes

Effects package release! :P
I'm releasing an effects package for the FSU so everyone can enjoy them, most were created for Earth Defence, now I'm finally happy with the way they look so its time to release!
enjoy :D
http://www.mediafire.com/?zz1joyzjnxe

*effects included are:
2 main explosions, 1 flak, 1 missilehit, 2D shockwave, 3D shockwave(the shockwaves are still in TGA, sockwave.pof needs to be placed in models folder)

**3D shockwave should go into data/maps folder, all other effects should go into data/effects, fireball.tbl should be updated to use the new explosions

SECOND RELEASE :D
http://www.mediafire.com/?edqyzyfqm5w

second release includes:
2 un-saturated main explosions, 1 damage trail

my recommended setup for these effects is:
2 main explosions(un-saturated version)
2D shockwave
missile hits should use expmissilehit1
beam hit trail should use particlesmoke01
beam peirce effect should be particlesmoke01 or 1 of the main explosions

** all effects in second release are in TGA, whoever want to use them can try them out in TGA, if they want them in their mod they should be compressed to DDS
« Last Edit: April 11, 2010, 01:48:08 pm by Nighteyes »

Offline mjn.mixael

• Cutscene Master
  • Chopped liver
    • Steam
    • Twitter
Re: Effects package release! :P
Looks fantastic! Good work. :yes:
Cutscene Upgrade Project - Mainhall Remakes - Between the Ashes
Youtube Channel - P3D Model Box
Between the Ashes is looking for committed testers, PM me for details.
Freespace Upgrade Project See what's happening.

Offline Kolgena

Yours was the 3D shockwave that wasn't double-layered, right?

Offline Vrets

Looks great. :yes:

fireball.tbl should be updated to use the new explosions

Instructions for the uninitiated?

Offline High Max

• Permanently banned
;-)
« Last Edit: May 26, 2010, 12:02:59 am by High Max »
;-)   #.#   *_*   ^^   ^-^   ^_^

I've put the fills in the folder and such but there's been no change at all... yes instructions would be a help here for some of us.

Offline Vasudan Admiral

• Twisted Infinities
Instructions for the uninitiated?
Rename a text (.txt) file "NewExplosions-fbl.tbm", put it in data\tables and put this in it:

Code: [Select]
#Start

$Name: exp01
+Explosion_Large1
$LOD: 1

$Name: exp02
+Explosion_Large2
$LOD: 1

#End

Well, awesome release dude! I definitely wish this happened more often. ;) It'll be good to finally get rid of the two old retail main explosion effects, and though I'm not sure which ones we will end up using, the other ones and shockwaves look pretty cool too. A suggestion I would have for the fireballs though would be to make them a bit more angry - like stronger reds yellows and oranges. Definitely makes things look more impressive in a "RAAAAR HUGE EXPLOSION!!!!!!!" kind of way as opposed to a sort of 'I'm exploding now' that the softer oranges and yellows give. I was trying these ones in conjunction with your old exp08 effect and while these ones looked like better effects, they lacked the fury of the much stronger colours in the old one and also the retail ones.

I did have some serious slowdown with the shockwaves, but I'm assuming that's most likely because they're still tga. Some other little issues I've noticed is how the 'sharpness' of some of the effect changes: in the 2d shockwave, the very first frame snaps the centre glow into existance, grows it steadily till frame 20 where it snap-reverses its growth and then the waves emerge.

Also, the two waves themselves seem to fade to black a little prematurely - it looks a bit too simultaneous for them to be separate waves. The 3d version has much more independent waves in that regard, but I've just noticed it seems to have some pretty noticable colour banding in the TGAs.

Anyway, again; awesome release. I know how stupidly hard effects are to do (what tools did you use btw?) and these are quite impressive. :)
Get the 2014 Media VPs and report any bugs you find in them to the FSU Mantis so that we may squish them. || Blender to POF model conversion guide
Twisted Infinities

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
I agree, the only problem I have with the new effects is that the colors are way too pale. The colors in your old release were much more vivid.

Also, slowing these effects down by reducing the FPS on them is very impressive. I recommend it.

EDIT: Fury tells me the FPS alterations were actually to a different effect from Nighteyes' Hollywood Pack, so I'm not sure if it'd work as well for these.
« Last Edit: April 07, 2010, 10:50:05 am by General Battuta »

still no change for me -.- what am i doing wrong....

Offline Angelus

• The Angriest Angel
still no change for me -.- what am i doing wrong....

where did you put the files?

Either put the effects in Mediavps/ data/ effects, you have to create that folder.

or ( better solution if you want to only check them out ingame or use them only with a certain mod )

Create a new folder in your FS2 folder, name it EXPLO.
In that folder create a new one, name it data. In that folder you create one new folders, name them effects.
All the effects and the .eff files go to the effects folder.
Fire up the launcher, klick the Features tab, and add this line to the custom flags:

-mod EXPLO

hit apply and run the game.
There shouldn't be a need for a tbm, 'cause iirc, the will replace the effects ingame.

Voila!
« Last Edit: April 07, 2010, 02:09:49 pm by Angelus »

Offline Nighteyes

thanks for te nice comments guys, its a pleasure to release this :)
about the colores, I can try editing them a bit to give them a bit more life, but I kind of like the realistic look these ones have, as opposed to coloreful and happy explosions :P
the shockwave was created frame by frame like the mediavps one, with the flare at the start and the time where they start to fade... so  don't know what you'r on about there :P

Offline Spoon

• ヾ(´︶`♡)ノ
I'm really digging this flak effect, though I've put the frame rate at 45 instead of 30. I'm not too fond of the expmissilehit1 though, it lacks 'punch'. Too 'gentle' for some reason. Increasing it's fps to 45 made it look a bit more 'explody' but I still prefer the retail one.
Urutorahappī!!

[02:42] <@Axem> spoon somethings wrong
[02:42] <@Axem> critically wrong
[02:42] <@Axem> im happy with these missions now
[02:44] <@Axem> well
[02:44] <@Axem> with 2 of them

Offline Vrets

Thanks, Vasudan Admiral.

This is great work, nighteyes. The shockwaves are gorgeous.
« Last Edit: April 07, 2010, 11:02:25 pm by Vrets »

Offline Fury

• The Curmudgeon
I'm really digging this flak effect, though I've put the frame rate at 45 instead of 30. I'm not too fond of the expmissilehit1 though, it lacks 'punch'. Too 'gentle' for some reason. Increasing it's fps to 45 made it look a bit more 'explody' but I still prefer the retail one.

As far as I know, fps in animations should not ever go over 30. People like HerraTohtori can better explain why.

Offline High Max

• Permanently banned
;-)
« Last Edit: May 26, 2010, 12:03:19 am by High Max »

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
  • Nothing personal, just tech support.
    • Steam
    • Twitter
The higher the framerate, the greater the chance for wasted frames, that is, frames that can't be shown due to the actual FPS being too low. That means wasted memory, and wasted bmpman slots.
If I'm just aching this can't go on
I came from chasing dreams to feel alone
There must be changes, miss to feel strong
I really need lifе to touch me
--Evergrey, Where August Mourns

Offline petar91

Do you have a video to show these new effects ? (youtube....)

Offline Commander Zane

• Spoot Knight of Anvils
Love the shockwaves, I said this before but now I get the chance to use them! :D

Offline High Max

• Permanently banned
;-)
« Last Edit: May 26, 2010, 12:03:33 am by High Max »

Offline Spoon

• ヾ(´︶`♡)ノ
The higher the framerate, the greater the chance for wasted frames, that is, frames that can't be shown due to the actual FPS being too low. That means wasted memory, and wasted bmpman slots.
That's completely irrelevant when you have a pc that can just run freespace at a constant 60 fps though   :p
Urutorahappī!!

[02:42] <@Axem> spoon somethings wrong
[02:42] <@Axem> critically wrong
[02:42] <@Axem> im happy with these missions now
[02:44] <@Axem> well
[02:44] <@Axem> with 2 of them