Author Topic: ARMA 2 - Oh Noes!  (Read 3544 times)

Offline mxlm

If I wanted to be told not to do stupid stuff I'd go play more Falcon 4.0 Allied Force - which produces some of the stupidest behavior I have ever seen.
Red Orchestra, man.

Y'know what I would buy? A Flashpoint/Arma installment in which the opposition is supernatural. Zombies, vampires, demons, whatever. That'd be fun. Or at least interesting. SWAT 5 was basically going to be that, apparently.
I will ask that you explain yourself. Please do so with the clear understanding that I may decide I am angry enough to destroy all of you and raze this sickening mausoleum of fraud down to the naked rock it stands on.

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
If I wanted to be told not to do stupid stuff I'd go play more Falcon 4.0 Allied Force - which produces some of the stupidest behavior I have ever seen.
Red Orchestra, man.

Y'know what I would buy? A Flashpoint/Arma installment in which the opposition is supernatural. Zombies, vampires, demons, whatever. That'd be fun. Or at least interesting. SWAT 5 was basically going to be that, apparently.

Yeah, that'd be awesome. I read that design document for SWAT 5 (and saw the proof-of-concept videos), it was pretty sweet.

My brother and I figured out that the best tactic in an Allied Force deathmath with respawns was to immediately upon spawn fire all your AMRAAMs in the ballpark of the dogfight and then eject. I love realism!

Offline mxlm

Okay, that is sillier than anything I saw in my few hours with RO.

Along similar lines, what Il-2 really needs is gargoyles. Maybe a phoenix and a dragon or two, as well.
I will ask that you explain yourself. Please do so with the clear understanding that I may decide I am angry enough to destroy all of you and raze this sickening mausoleum of fraud down to the naked rock it stands on.

Offline mxlm

Hey, Dragon Rising is $4.50 on Steam today and it has zombie mods. **** it, I'll give it a whirl.

ETA: And oh look, there're zombie mods for ArmA too. Thanks for telling me, ArmA vets  :mad:

After playing around with it a bit and figuring out how things work, I created and played my first mission tonight. It took about 2 minutes to set up and a half hour or so to play. It was bare, bare bones: A town off the coast had been completely overrun by about 150 zombies and a small team went in to take care of them (5 men including me as a sniper and an M113 APC).

It was HELLA fun. We rolled in and started laying waste to the zombies but of course, we started to run out of ammo. I told everyone to get into the APC we had brought along and was firing hundreds of .50 cal rounds into the crowds of undead. Then things started deteriorating. They surrounded the APC when, after we had knocked over some walls and trees trying to get out of there, we smashed into a house and had trouble backing out. They started clibing up over the sides and dragged the gunner out of his mount. (This I really couldn't believe, it was really cool . . . they don't have the animation for this but they do have the animation for the zombies crawling up on things and he popped out of the turret and did the dying animation and fell to the ground).

We finally got free and backed up. In the headlights I could see the zombies eating him and then, right before we left, he stood back up and started staggering toward us!

Finally the fuel gauge started to run out and I decided to park the APC overlooking the town up on a hill. The lights of the APC were shining down on the village, illuminating the horse coming toward us. I wasn't sure how many we killed so far but I estimated about 75. That left around 75 to kill, which doesn't seem like too much but when you start counting rounds and realize not every shot counts, it was a little dismaying.

I told the squad to get in line formation around me. They startedd opening up down the hill as I took solo shots with my sniper rifle. I tried to get as many headshots as possible .. but sniping's hard! Especially in a realistic milsim game like Arma.

The zombies started coming up the hill at us. It became worse and worse at it was now night and the beams from the APC were the only light around . . . outside that it was vauge shapes and movement. My troops started calling out "Ammo out!" and I head and saw them switching to their sidearms. Finally EVERYONE was out of ammo and the zombies kept coming.

I'll admit it. I paniced and went to the back of the APC to reload. That's when I heard calls out that my men were going down. I finished rearming and raed back to the front of the APC. There were dozens of zombies there, some feasting. I started shooting wildly. Soon enough, my own men were coming towards me. One of them got a bit too close as I hesitated in shooting him and he swiped me. The front of my outfit stained with blood.

I gunned down as many as I could but they were coming in from all sides, albeit slowly. The problem was I was in an open hilltop now, with all sides exposed, and only the beams of the headlights showing me what was in front of me.

I got into the APC and drove down hill to the village. Finally it ran out of gas in the middle of the street. I reloaded and listened to the moans drifting through the night air. A zombie popped into view and I shot it in the head. Then another, and another, and another. I calmly dispatched them and tried to position myself so I wasn't exposed, back against a low wall.

Suddenly I was attack from behind and fell to the ground.

As the "Mission Failed" screen came up, the camera zoomed to an above view where I got to see my attacker eatingg my guts. In a final insult, I reanimated and started staggering around! Oh the humanity!

Mmm. $7.50 is more than I'll pay for that, but I'll be surprised if ArmA I/II don't get a daily deal.
« Last Edit: June 28, 2010, 12:41:58 pm by mxlm »

That zombie mod is bloody epic.
Sig nuked! New one coming soon!

anyone know where you can get missions for that mod?