Author Topic: ARMA 2 - Oh Noes!  (Read 3543 times)

Offline Thaeris

• Can take his lumps
  • Away in Limbo
So, after determining that I hate generic "shooters," I determined that an actual combat "simulator" would be more than acceptable after playing a bit of Rainbow Six 3, which wasn't all that bad for a shooter. But does such a thing exist?

...Yes, yes it does. Armed Assault/Operation Flashpoint is probably the best known and most economical of all the infantry/ground combat simulators out there. Thus, I decided to try the demo, which has raped my computer as expected.

Despite turning almost every visual setting to nil and nixing most of the system-heavy processes, movement on foot is... really shifty. Flight was better, but even then performance wasn't great. Moral of the story? Don't buy your computer from Best Buy.  :p Heck, recommended minimum requirements include a 2GHz processor and a Nvidia Go 7800 - I have a 1.6GHz processor and a Go 7600... I envy you desktop people.  :lol:

Flight was what I was really looking into testing, as ARMA is cited as being rather realistic in many aspects. Though helicopter flight is probably much more realistic than in some crappy shooter like BF2, it's still very much simplified. However, I must concede that it was good fun. And despite the fact that it doesn't quite live up to my standards for flight realism, it does a good job of capturing the feel of flight visually, which lets one overlook the shortcomings in terms of controls. I'm also rather thankful for being able to use my stick for flight, which tracks infinitely better than the mouse in-game. I'm certain I could assign axis/key assigments for aircraft if I try to play with the game more...

In short, I think I'd like this sim if I could run it decently, but I don't think that's oing to happen with my computer - this is the same with most modern FPS games. Heck, even Mount & Blade didn't run terribly well (although I tried to get more visual features going at a given time), though I could run that with no problem I imagine... Does anyone else play or at least has tried ARMA or ARMA 2?
"trolls are clearly social rejects and therefore should be isolated from society, or perhaps impaled."

-Nuke

"Look on the bright side, how many release dates have been given for Doomsday, and it still isn't out yet.

It's the Duke Nukem Forever of prophecies..."

"Jesus saves.

Everyone else takes normal damage.
"

-Flipside

"pirating software is a lesser evil than stealing but its still evil. but since i pride myself for being evil, almost anything is fair game."

"i never understood why women get the creeps so ****ing easily. i mean most serial killers act perfectly normal, until they kill you."

-Nuke

Offline TESLA

• 1.21 gigawatts!
I found this a very good game,

except when half way through a level, get shot in the head, and no idea, what happened :(

lol

Great game though :)

You should trry operation Flashpoint: Dragon Rising, also very good :)
In order to find his equal, an Irishman is forced
to talk to God.

There are three types of people in this world: those who make things happen, those who watch things happen and those who wonder what happened.

Offline Thaeris

• Can take his lumps
  • Away in Limbo
I agree... If I could play it decently!  :p

Also, it looks as if you've been emasculated by Karajorma!  :shaking:
"trolls are clearly social rejects and therefore should be isolated from society, or perhaps impaled."

-Nuke

"Look on the bright side, how many release dates have been given for Doomsday, and it still isn't out yet.

"Jesus saves.

"

-Flipside

"pirating software is a lesser evil than stealing but its still evil. but since i pride myself for being evil, almost anything is fair game."

"i never understood why women get the creeps so ****ing easily. i mean most serial killers act perfectly normal, until they kill you."

-Nuke

Offline TESLA

• 1.21 gigawatts!
I agree... If I could play it decently!  :p

Also, it looks as if you've been emasculated by Karajorma!  :shaking:

he is jealous of my large size
In order to find his equal, an Irishman is forced
to talk to God.

There are three types of people in this world: those who make things happen, those who watch things happen and those who wonder what happened.

Offline VPR

I have ARMA II after playing the original OFP + expansions to death but I've not played it much since January because of problems running it, despite playing it on an i7 920 PC, which I spent over £1100 building in December. :(

I rarely get above 25 fps and in cities it crawls / crashes to desktop. PROPER's graphical mods help a little with smoothing framerates but the game is heavily CPU dependent and does not recognise memory above 2 GB, or a certain amount of multiple cores, which is pretty bad for what is a fairly recent game and also that it's developed to fully support 64-bit systems. It's also hard disk dependent resorting in people running the game from ramdisks (those who are lucky enough to own 10 Gb+ of performance RAM) or buying SSD drives for the game just to get it to run stable and above 30 fps. Funnily enough it seems that the people on XP 32/64 bit with Dual Cores get generally better performance than people like me on Windows 7 64-bit with Quad/i5/i7 CPUs. I'll be overclocking from 2.6 Ghz to 3 Ghz or greater soon, which will hopefully help.

It's a shame because in the missions that are playable it is good fun. On the plus side at least BIS seem fairly interested in bug fixing even though patches take a while to come out between Beta releases. Looking at their bug reporting system they are gradually acknowledging and fixing the problems.

Offline Thaeris

• Can take his lumps
  • Away in Limbo
I get the impression they're a pretty good company from looking at their site and their forum.

...Like I said, I'd happily pay $13.30 USD (otherwise known as dirt cheap...) on Amazon if this would perform decently on my computer. I suppose I could try and put it on the new computer in the other room, but I don't think that would go over well. That was actually an... Office Max or Staples?... HP (and I find that HPs in general are pretty good, I've got one after all), but for a pretty reasonable $600 the thing is packing a quad core, 4GB or RAM, etc... I'd love to put X-Plane on that thing....

What's the DRM on ARMA/ARMA 2 like, if any?

-Nuke

"Jesus saves.

"

-Flipside

-Nuke

Offline NGTM-1R

• I reject your reality and substitute my own
  • Syndral Active. 0410.
Arma 2 only has DRM if you buy it off Steam, AFAIK.

Which is a fairly benign form of DRM.
"Load sabot. Target Zaku, direct front!"

A Feddie Story

Offline Thaeris

• Can take his lumps
  • Away in Limbo
If I ever find the need to get this then, it will be from Amazon then.  :D

-Nuke

"Jesus saves.

"

-Flipside

-Nuke

Offline VPR

Well just spotted that patch 1.07 is out now which has finally added much improved multicore & 64-bit support. Had a short play and for me it's running a lot better and I now have higher and smoother framerates! Good to see a developer making significant improvements and also listening to their customers. :yes:

Offline Ravenholme

• (d.h.f)
Ah, ArmA.

I'm a flashpoint veteran, loved ArmA 1 (Had a friend create an awesome co-op campaign for usage amongst a small group of friends following a specific airborne division during a re-imagined Sahrani conflict), and love ArmA 2 (More than OFP and ArmA 1 in some regards, less in others).

Operation: Arrowhead looks like it's gonna be great.

"Hearts and Minds, people - aim for either."
Full Auto - I've got a bullet here with your name on it, and I'm going to keep firing until I find out which one it is.

<The_E>   Several sex-based solutions come to mind
<The_E>   Errr
<The_E>   *sexp

Offline Thaeris

• Can take his lumps
  • Away in Limbo
Yeah, like  said earlier, I really get the impression that ArmA's developers really care about the insights of their userbase in terms of their product. I'd be happy to give my patronage if I could use their product.

:nod:

-Nuke

"Jesus saves.

"

-Flipside

-Nuke

Offline mxlm

So does this game have in mission saves, and if it does, does it let you save more than once per mother****ing mission?

I don't hate myself enough to deal with a setup like the original Flashpoint again.
I will ask that you explain yourself. Please do so with the clear understanding that I may decide I am angry enough to destroy all of you and raze this sickening mausoleum of fraud down to the naked rock it stands on.

Offline Ravenholme

• (d.h.f)
So does this game have in mission saves, and if it does, does it let you save more than once per mother****ing mission?

I don't hate myself enough to deal with a setup like the original Flashpoint again.

One save you can choose yourself, and checkpoints.

If I remember correctly, I could be wrong.
Full Auto - I've got a bullet here with your name on it, and I'm going to keep firing until I find out which one it is.

<The_E>   Several sex-based solutions come to mind
<The_E>   Errr
<The_E>   *sexp

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
Would helicopter flying in this game be anywhere near as fun as it was back in Battlefield 2?

If so I might consider checking it out.

Offline Thaeris

• Can take his lumps
  • Away in Limbo
There's plenty of videos on YouTube demonstrating helo flight. My analysis of flight was that it's not going to approach the realism of something like X-Plane (which is to be expected - I've yet to encounter a simulator that does everything right), but it was pretty darn good. Also, as a whole, even if the little aspects revealed that ArmA 2 isn't as realistic as can be desired, the visuals give the simulation an amazingly life-like feel of flight.

For an infantry simulator, ArmA 2 has a sweet flight model - it's much, much better than BF2 could ever hope to be.

*Oh, and this is hysterical:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pvP0af6s87U

:lol:
« Last Edit: June 26, 2010, 03:38:11 pm by Thaeris »

-Nuke

"Jesus saves.

"

-Flipside

-Nuke

Offline mxlm

That's mildly surprising, since OFP's vehicles were basically as arcadey as BF's, only less fun.
I will ask that you explain yourself. Please do so with the clear understanding that I may decide I am angry enough to destroy all of you and raze this sickening mausoleum of fraud down to the naked rock it stands on.

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
For an infantry simulator, ArmA 2 has a sweet flight model - it's much, much better than BF2 could ever hope to be.

Can I do backflips? Or loops? And jump out in the middle of the loop, fall, and hit the helicopter when it comes back down the loop, jumping back into the cockpit and recovering?

Offline Thaeris

• Can take his lumps
  • Away in Limbo
Aerobatics? Military Helos can of course do aerobatics! But stupid stuff? No.

That gets you killed.

That said, go here and find the demo tab, and try the demo. That will let you play with the helicopters.

-Nuke

"Jesus saves.

"

-Flipside

-Nuke

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
I've played the demo.

If I wanted to be told not to do stupid stuff I'd go play more Falcon 4.0 Allied Force - which produces some of the stupidest behavior I have ever seen.

So, can I perform the above action? Because if so, awesomeness will not > Battlefield 2.

Aerobatics? Military Helos can of course do aerobatics! But stupid stuff? No.

That gets you killed.

That said, go here and find the demo tab, and try the demo. That will let you play with the helicopters.

What can you do in the demo? Is it timed? Will it shut off after so much play time?
Sig nuked! New one coming soon!