Author Topic: Question adout multiplayer  (Read 6334 times)

Offline chief1983

• Still lacks a custom title
  • ⬇️⬆️⬅️⬅️🅰➡️⬇️
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Fate of the Galaxy
Re: Question adout multiplayer
It's not a question of handling it.  It would almost have to be an active block rather than something just not handled.  There have been NATs for ages.  They're more than capable of figuring out what packets need to go where without any additional work on your behalf.  The server would actually have to be preventing connections from the same IP on purpose.
Fate of the Galaxy - Now Hiring!  Apply within | Diaspora | SCP Home | Collada Importer for PCS2
Karajorma's 'How to report bugs' | Mantis
#freespace | #scp-swc | #diaspora | #SCP | #hard-light on EsperNet

"You may not sell or otherwise commercially exploit the source or things you created based on the source." -- Excerpt from FSO license, for reference

Nuclear1:  Jesus Christ zack you're a little too hamyurger for HLP right now...
iamzack:  i dont have hamynerge i just want ptatoc hips D:
redsniper:  Platonic hips?!
iamzack:  lays

Some NATs do work with FS2, however if I were to suggest in an example of numbers, of allllllllllll the examples I have ever come across of this problem, or a solution for it, FUBAR is the ONLY person I have EVER met who has managed to have more than one machine on FS2NetD or PXO at the same time (*ingame, not lobby).

If FS2 doesn't actively block it, it's fairly possible that it is ignorant of NATs completely.
No one has ever looked at the network code AFAIK, it's still the original 1.2 network code, which, really is only a bit of polish on FS1's network code (*anyone who complains about lag in FS2 can cry me a river, and should go fly FS1 on a 33.6k modem to a 1mbit host on the opposite EXACT, side of the planet, then I might listen to their complaints :P not to say Fs2's network code couldn't still be improved, a lot, I however, have no idea how to go about doing that..).

It was never very tolerant of people on the same IP, that's all I know.
"Neutrality means that you don't really care, cuz the struggle goes on even when you're not there: Blind and unaware."

"We still believe in all the things that we stood by before,
and after everything we've seen here maybe even more.
I know we're not the only ones, and we were not the first,
and unapologetically we'll stand behind each word."

Offline FUBAR-BDHR

• Self-Propelled Trouble Magnet
  • Master Drunk
    • 165th Beer Drinking Hell Raisers
I even log in to FS2netD and play against myself from the same machine at times.  That's right 2 windows, same machine, same IP, different port.  So it can't be blocking more then one per IP. 
No-one ever listens to Zathras. Quite mad, they say. It is good that Zathras does not mind. He's even grown to like it. Oh yes. -Zathras

Offline chief1983

• ⬇️⬆️⬅️⬅️🅰➡️⬇️
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Fate of the Galaxy
It's one thing for it to just not work, not see games, time out, etc.  It's another thing altogether for it to actively say the same user is trying to connect.  That's not it detecting the same IP, that's got to be something else, which is why I threw out identically configured PXO/FS2NetD accounts on both machines.
Fate of the Galaxy - Now Hiring!  Apply within | Diaspora | SCP Home | Collada Importer for PCS2

"You may not sell or otherwise commercially exploit the source or things you created based on the source." -- Excerpt from FSO license, for reference

Ironically, PXO (*haven't tried with FS2NetD) never really cared about multiple users on the same account, long as they had different IPs.
My account had a few people with access to it, for lulz and other such niceties..

Edit;
FS2NetD hits "Login failed" (and only "Login Failed" no reason why) if you're sharing an account with someone else online at the time.

Really sure that that specific error, "same user is trying to connect" is only seen when trying to join a game from the same IP address.
« Last Edit: April 12, 2010, 05:36:59 pm by QuantumDelta »
"Neutrality means that you don't really care, cuz the struggle goes on even when you're not there: Blind and unaware."

"We still believe in all the things that we stood by before,
and after everything we've seen here maybe even more.
I know we're not the only ones, and we were not the first,
and unapologetically we'll stand behind each word."

Offline chief1983

• ⬇️⬆️⬅️⬅️🅰➡️⬇️
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Fate of the Galaxy
So FUBAR gets around that by some port trickery or what?  Sounds like what he's doing shouldn't work if that's the case.

Offline FUBAR-BDHR

• Master Drunk
I've only ever seen the same user already in game message when trying to connect from the same machine and port.  This usually happens if you crash and the server hasn't realized that you dropped so your IP, port, and login are all the same.  I use the same login, same directory, heck sometimes the same exe from the same machine and don't get that message.  Yea it's slow as heck and the debug log is fun to try to read when you run 2 copies of debug but no such restriction seems to exist.
No-one ever listens to Zathras. Quite mad, they say. It is good that Zathras does not mind. He's even grown to like it. Oh yes. -Zathras

Offline FUBAR-BDHR

• Master Drunk
OK I did some testing on this.  You can host and be a client from the same machine but you can't be a client twice.  So if both are tying to join the same server (including standalones) then they will get the message.  If one hosts the other should be able to join. 

Offline chief1983

• ⬇️⬆️⬅️⬅️🅰➡️⬇️
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Fate of the Galaxy
So it looks like an issue in the FSO code and not the FS2NetD code then, right?

Offline FUBAR-BDHR

• Master Drunk
Could be either.  Have to dig to see what causes that message.  Does the host send it or does FS2netD send it?  Without knowing that it's hard to tell.

OK this is code related.  Function find_player() in multiutil.cpp line 447.  It only does a compare IP to IP.  Probably could be updated to check IP + port as port is contained in that structure as well.
« Last Edit: April 12, 2010, 07:31:05 pm by FUBAR-BDHR »

Offline chief1983

• ⬇️⬆️⬅️⬅️🅰➡️⬇️
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Fate of the Galaxy
Sounds like that could be really useful.