Author Topic: Offline co-op PC gaming  (Read 5792 times)

Offline McCall

• ...overly forward
Offline co-op PC gaming
Any tips on good offline co-op (and splitscreen shooters and drivers if you like) for the PC?

So far we've enjoyed the Lego series of games, Marvel Ultimate Alliance, X-Men Legends 2. That Co-Optimus website is a good source too.

Any others worth a look?
Contrary to rumour, a mojito is actually the manliest drink around, dammit!

Offline headdie

• i don't use punctuation lol
  • Lawful Neutral with a Chaotic outook
    • Minecraft
    • Headdie on Deviant Art
Re: Offline co-op PC gaming
if you want split screen on the PC serious sam 1 + 1.5 was a blast (dont know about Serious Sam 2 as i have never had it), if you want to go old school One Must Fall 2097 was probably the best MK/SF style side scroler beat-em-up ever on the PC and Tyrian 2000 was a blast in the top down shooter stakes and its multi player mode was an interesting twist.

though to get the best out of PC offline multiplay you want two or more comps linked on a network, they are simple enough to setup under anything like windows 95 for cabled and xp for wireless or later and its all damn near plug and play, if you use wireless remember to password your hub/router.

if you do that then i can recomend

FS2, starcraft, total annithilation, ground control II, any quake game, any unreal tournament (though the origional remains my fav), half-life (anything on steam brings complications with offline mode though), doom (1-ultimate, 2, final), serious sam.  If i think of any more i will post them
Minister of Interstellar Affairs Sol Union - Retired
quote General Battuta - "FRED is canon!"
Contact me at [email protected]
My Release Thread, Old Release Thread, Celestial Objects Thread, My rubbish attempts at art

Offline Bob-san

• Wishes he was cool
  • It's 5 minutes to midnight.
For split-screen? I don't really think so. Doing a LAN game is usually top way to do an offline co-op.
NGTM-1R: Currently considering spending the rest of the day in bed cuddling.
GTSVA: With who...?
Nuke: chewbacca?
Bob-san: The Rancor.

Offline asyikarea51

• -__-||
What about the older Need For Speed series... assuming one player has a separate controller because of keyboards jamming up on the third simultaneous keystroke...
Inferno plz
The Power of Nightmares
TheHound: "Nice idea, but I have a thing against announcing campaigns before having them already finished."
G5K: "The flipside of that is that if you don't announce your campaign, yet take too long to finish it, other people may independently come up with some of the same ideas."

Offline CP5670

• Dr. Evil
  • Global Moderator
I have only ever seen a couple of splitscreen PC games. Somehow splitscreen never took off on the PC. Rollcage 1 and 2 and Jazz Jackrabbit 2 have splitscreen modes and are a lot of fun. Incoming has such a mode but I haven't tried it, and I've heard Serious Sam does as well.

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
Worms is great fun. Hotseat play.

Offline McCall

• ...overly forward
Interesting suggestions there. Ta. It's pretty difficult to find PC games for a bunch of guys drinking beer in the living room!
Contrary to rumour, a mojito is actually the manliest drink around, dammit!

Offline headdie

• Minecraft
    • Headdie on Deviant Art
Interesting suggestions there. Ta. It's pretty difficult to find PC games for a bunch of guys drinking beer in the living room!

ricochet (mod for half-life) is brilliant when you got a few drinks in your system
My Release Thread, Old Release Thread, Celestial Objects Thread, My rubbish attempts at art

Offline Nnexxus

If you're into fantasy card games, Etherlords 1 & 2 have a two-players hot seat mode that's pretty good.

Also, the entire Heroes of Might and Magic series have a hot-seat mode. Heroes V is a lot of fun, you can just jump into a two players fight with predetermined armies. Or you can play an entire game, but it lasts several hours at least, and you have to wait several minutes during your opponent's turn.

Offline headdie

• Minecraft
    • Headdie on Deviant Art
that reminds me master of orion 2 plays well hotseat

I would stick to playing old, DRM-free games and making copies so you can play it over a LAN without the extra hundred bucks needed for another video card.
That's what I'm doing right now with my 9-year old sisters. X-Wing alliance comes with two disks, so all we need is another joystick (I've been wanting to get a new one for ages anyway) so I can own the **** out of them as a much-needed ego boost.  :cool:
The game is light enough that we can run it on their simple left-over computer at the highest settings even with 3D acceleration, and all that computer has is an above-average quad core (better than my dual core!  :ick:).
Fun while it lasted.

Then bitter.

Offline Nuke

• Ka-Boom!
  • Mutants Worship Me
i managed to set up a freelancer lan party. pretty badass, if not quite splitscreen.
I can no longer sit back and allow communist infiltration, communist indoctrination, communist subversion, and the international communist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious bodily fluids.

Nuke's Scripting SVN