Author Topic: Grievances  (Read 24221 times)

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
You're supposed to be able to fly the Ursa.

As for the turret issue, try disabling subsystem targeting for a bit? I forget the keypress to do so.

Offline TopAce

• Stalwart contributor
  • FREDder, FSWiki editor, and tester
...hey, why not just fire it DIRECTLY where you want it, instead of wasting time trying to target?....

Because that would make bombing runs too easy.
My community contributions - Get my campaigns from here.

I already announced my retirement twice, yet here I am. If I bring up that topic again, don't believe a word.

Offline Marcov

• Chicken Little
  • My Sig Is Spam
Because that would make bombing runs too easy.

Yes, it could, well...if not bombers could be too uber for capships then. Maybe Volition should've decreased Secondary damage, and eliminate the targetting problem?

Basically I always just sat my bomber there, 500 meters front of the Ravana, while I switched from Cyclops loadout 1 to Cyclops loadout 2, while there's already a Manticore that has been biting me at the back...
With the rapid increase of FS fan-made campaigns, we're giving the GTVA a harder time with more violence and genocide.

~FreeSpace: The Battle of Endor (voice dub)~
Part 1/4 - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q9K9-Y1JBTE
Part 2/4 - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dtQanXDRAXM
Part 3/4 - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yoBLKYt_oG0

Old (original) videos:
Part 1/4 - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C1ygskaoUtE
Part 2/4 - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f0uoPTksBlI

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
  • Nothing personal, just tech support.
    • Steam
    • Twitter
Yes, it could, well...if not bombers could be too uber for capships then. Maybe Volition should've decreased Secondary damage, and eliminate the targetting problem?

Basically I always just sat my bomber there, 500 meters front of the Ravana, while I switched from Cyclops loadout 1 to Cyclops loadout 2, while there's already a Manticore that has been biting me at the back...

Well, when you get around to making your own mod sooner or later, you can try to make them work that way.
If I'm just aching this can't go on
I came from chasing dreams to feel alone
There must be changes, miss to feel strong
I really need lifе to touch me
--Evergrey, Where August Mourns

Offline Androgeos Exeunt

• Captain Oblivious
  • Prevents attraction.
    • Wordpress.com Blog
If you're complaining about targeting issues in FS, you obviously have never played StarLancer. :p
My blog

Quote: Tuesday, 3 October 2023 0133 UTC +8, #general
MP-Ryan
Oh you still believe in fairy tales like Santa, the Easter Bunny, and free market competition principles?

The Serapis....  It just can't take a hit, and without adjusting my stick's sensitivity, it's too nimble.  I like nimble fighters, and I like the don't-get-hit design philosophy of interceptors, but the Serapis takes it all to too great an extreme.  The loadout options are great, but if you don't survive long enough to deliver your ordinance, it doesn't really make a lick of difference.

Next to that, I've a minor gripe with the Myrmidon.  I just don't get the two half-sized secondary banks.  I know it allows for more variety, but I can't think of the last time I actually put three different secondary weapon systems onto the ship.  I also tend to get frustrated shooting down Myrmidons (and Taurvis for that matter) due to the design of the back end.  I've a bad habit of slightly under-leading my target, so once a Myrmidon's shields drop, most of my shots pass around/between the prongs protruding from the ship's stern.

Still, I'll fly a Myrmidon, even when given other options.  The Serapis?  Nope.  I'll fly intercept in a bomber, before selecting a Serapis.

Offline Commander Zane

• Spoot Knight of Anvils
You're supposed to be able to fly the Ursa.

As for the turret issue, try disabling subsystem targeting for a bit? I forget the keypress to do so.
Alt + S, but I'd recommend using V to target whichever turret you want to hit, you have the best chance of actually aquiring that turret, just having the ship itself targeted in my experience tends to end with my aspect reticle going back and forth, spinning wildly in circles trying to decide what it wants to lock on to.

Next to that, I've a minor gripe with the Myrmidon.  I just don't get the two half-sized secondary banks.

As far as I'm concerned, there's only one reason the two half-sized banks are nice: an extra Trebuchet missile.

Offline Timerlane

• Overseer of Slag Determination
Next to that, I've a minor gripe with the Myrmidon.  I just don't get the two half-sized secondary banks.

As far as I'm concerned, there's only one reason the two half-sized banks are nice: an extra Trebuchet missile.
I like being able to carry a tiny pack of Trebs(or Stiletto IIs, or even Rockeyes, in a pinch), instead of spending half of a fighter's payload on them, in cases when there might only be a couple of turrets to remove, but would agree that one could achieve that just fine with a 25/75% split instead of 25/25/50%. The only time I could see all three banks being used with different weapons might be with the Helios; maybe Tempest/Treb/Helios? Seems like a waste to not put the Helios in the large bank, yet without Harpoons, Tempests are the only thing space-efficient enough to feel worthwhile as a combat secondary in one of the tiny banks.

Offline MatthTheGeek

• Captain Obvious
  • Frenchie McFrenchface
Maybe the idea was to be able to choose between a 25/75 and a 50/50 configuration ?
People are stupid, therefore anything popular is at best suspicious.

Mod management tools     -     Wiki stuff!     -     Help us help you

666maslo666: Releasing a finished product is not a good thing! It is a modern fad.

SpardaSon21: it seems like you exist in a permanent state of half-joking misanthropy

Axem: when you put it like that, i sound like an insane person

bigchunk1: it's not retarded it's american!
bigchunk1: ...

batwota: steele's maneuvering for the coup de gras
MatthTheGeek: you mispelled grâce
Awaesaar: grace
batwota: oh right :P
Darius: ah!
Darius: yes, i like that
MatthTheGeek: the way you just spelled it it means fat
Awaesaar: +accent I forgot how to keyboard
MatthTheGeek: or grease
Darius: the killing fat!
Axem: jabba does the coup de gras
MatthTheGeek: XD
Axem: bring me solo and a cookie

Just in case I'd like to point out what I meant was that the Myrmidon can carry an extra trebuchet because of the split bank.  The other bank can hold your tornadoes or tempests of course =)

Myrms.....*Spits*
"Neutrality means that you don't really care, cuz the struggle goes on even when you're not there: Blind and unaware."

"We still believe in all the things that we stood by before,
and after everything we've seen here maybe even more.
I know we're not the only ones, and we were not the first,
and unapologetically we'll stand behind each word."

Offline IronBeer

• (Witty catchphrase)
    • Minecraft
Myrms.....*Spits*
Wouldn't go that far, but I've always felt that the Myrm's just been, kinda... awkward.
"I have approximate knowledge of many things."

Ridiculous, the Director's Cut

Starlancer Head Animations - Converted

Offline Timerlane

• Overseer of Slag Determination
Just in case I'd like to point out what I meant was that the Myrmidon can carry an extra trebuchet because of the split bank.  The other bank can hold your tornadoes or tempests of course =)
Yup, makes it equal in capacity to the Erinyes, and still has the same number of double-fire salvos as the Perseus.

The Myrm, I think, relies on using its extra gunpower to cut down the number of enemy fighters quickly, so your wing can achieve local superiority. As long as you outnumber the enemy, lack of turning speed isn't a huge liability.

A couple of blasts of 6 Prom-S and a single-fire Tornado shot can kill(or maim) a Mara in a long-range head-on, even if it equalizes its shields, and all before it can get in range to fire back. If you're relatively quick(and perhaps lucky), you can eliminate half a wing in one pass with little chance of taking fire in return.

Offline Klaustrophobia

• the REAL Nuke of HLP
    • North Carolina Tigers
linking cannons of the same type when one is a quad slot does LESS damage per second than just using the quad slot alone.
I like to stare at the sun.

Problems with the myrm;
No Maxim, yet useless second primary bank (the top one, why would you ever use it?)
Crappy missile loadout/positioning, the only useful bank in a dogfight is the top one, and the only real 'reason' to deploy this 'fighter' is for 'helios' in bank 3.

It's HUGE.
It's got horrible manoeuvrability for the job it's SUPPOSED to do.
It's got ordinance problems up the wazoo.
And did I mention it's HUGE?
The only *fighter* in the FS2 GTVA Arsenal it will beat in a 1on1 reliably is the Ares.
Even the MK1 flies better than this pile (not that I'm suggesting the MK1 is any good in FS2, even though I still love it because of how awesome it is in FS1).
It is by far the worst FS2 era fighter.
"Neutrality means that you don't really care, cuz the struggle goes on even when you're not there: Blind and unaware."

Offline NGTM-1R

• I reject your reality and substitute my own
  • Syndral Active. 0410.
Problems with the myrm;
No Maxim, yet useless second primary bank (the top one, why would you ever use it?)
Crappy missile loadout/positioning, the only useful bank in a dogfight is the top one, and the only real 'reason' to deploy this 'fighter' is for 'helios' in bank 3.

It's HUGE.
The only *fighter* in the FS2 GTVA Arsenal it will beat in a 1on1 reliably is the Ares.
Even the MK1 flies better than this pile (not that I'm suggesting the MK1 is any good in FS2, even though I still love it because of how awesome it is in FS1).

Single player campaign kthnx.
"Load sabot. Target Zaku, direct front!"

A Feddie Story

Offline Androgeos Exeunt

• Captain Oblivious
  • Prevents attraction.
    • Wordpress.com Blog
...it's too nimble.

Too nimble? Pfft, I'm surprised that you don't like the Perseus more. In the Serapis, I can intercept everything.

I just don't get the two half-sized secondary banks.

Variety? Think functionality. Think Tempest.

Wouldn't go that far, but I've always felt that the Myrm's just been, kinda... awkward.

Funny, I've always liked the Myrmidon more than any other light fighter. Six Subachs and three racks of Tempests have always been my loadout on a Myrmidon, and it allows me to obliterate a lot of things. I'm never concerned about how awkward it is; if it works for me, it works. Simple as that.
My blog

Quote: Tuesday, 3 October 2023 0133 UTC +8, #general
MP-Ryan
Oh you still believe in fairy tales like Santa, the Easter Bunny, and free market competition principles?

I'd say the opposite and that the Myrmidon would be capable of reliably defeating most fighters head to head and that Multi would have reflected this if they didn't purposely nerf the Myrmidon's greatest weapon: the long ranged Prometheus S.  The Mekhu has a DPS advantage and range advantage in Multi which instantly made it the primary of choice to the point where I'd pick a Vasudan fighter to use (despite only doing that if forced to in Single).

Likewise, the Myrmidon can take advantage of huge range advantage of the Prometheus S by using the capability to fire six blasts at once. This is sufficient to instantly obliterate the forward shields and bring the hull down to 65% for a Perseus.  Very few players won't blink at that much damage especially when you're doing less damage in return.  If we go by the quad bank versus a dual bank, then the quad bank will still penetrate the shields and do unavoidable hull damage whereas a Myrmidon has enough shields to absorb the return fire and push more shield energy to forward and avoid hull damage altogether.

The real weakness is in a tight furball.  Maneuverability is a huge issue (the Myrmidon turns like a pig) but flying in order to adjust for lower maneuverability isn't impossible and the 6-bank allows for extremely devastating snap shots.

Problems with the myrm;

It's HUGE.

Single player campaign kthnx.
In almost any mission in almost every campaign I've played, there are better alternatives.
In fact the only exception I can think of that forces you to use that PoS is FS2 itself.