Author Topic: Dreadnaught-class Heavy Cruiser  (Read 39989 times)

Re: Dreadnaught-class Heavy Cruiser
Yup, they're pretty big. This is a 6' 2" person next to the window:

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline Archaic

thats 3 decks worth of window 0.o

Who puts giant windows and the attendant structural weakness on a warship?  Oh, right, the engineers of Star Wars who also forget to put railings over deep bottomless chasms. :P
17:37:02   Quanto: I want to have sexual intercourse with every space elf in existence
17:37:11   SpardaSon21: even the males?
17:37:22   Quanto: its not gay if its an elf

[21:51] <@Droid803> I now realize
[21:51] <@Droid803> this will be SLIIIIIGHTLY awkward
[21:51] <@Droid803> as this rich psychic girl will now be tsundere for a loli.
[21:51] <@Droid803> OH WELLL.

See what you're missing in #WoD and #Fsquest?

[07:57:32] <Caiaphas> inspired by HerraTohtori i built a supermaneuverable plane in ksp
[07:57:43] <Caiaphas> i just killed my pilots with a high-g maneuver
[07:58:19] <Caiaphas> apparently people can't take 20 gees for 5 continuous seconds
[08:00:11] <Caiaphas> the plane however performed admirably, and only crashed because it no longer had any guidance systems

Offline FUBAR-BDHR

• Self-Propelled Trouble Magnet
  • Master Drunk
    • 165th Beer Drinking Hell Raisers
Two words:  Transparent Aluminum. :P
No-one ever listens to Zathras. Quite mad, they say. It is good that Zathras does not mind. He's even grown to like it. Oh yes. -Zathras

Offline Dragon

• Citation needed
  • The sky is the limit.
Transparisteel to be precise (that's how it's called in SW).

Offline swashmebuckle

• Das Lied von der Turd
    • The Perfect Band
Possible good use for enormous gallery windows on a warship:

Granted, the openings on the Dreadnaught are much bigger, but it seems like it could work.  Shine a bunch of really bright lights outwards and enemy pilots wouldn't be able to visually identify which of the windows had active weapons and where they were pointing.  Anyway, you wouldn't have to model the turrets :)

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
  • Nothing personal, just tech support.
    • Steam
    • Twitter
At twice the length, more than twice the width and more than twice the height of a Nimitz class carrier, 14k people should be possible.
If I'm just aching this can't go on
I came from chasing dreams to feel alone
There must be changes, miss to feel strong
I really need lifе to touch me
--Evergrey, Where August Mourns

Offline MR_T3D

• Personal Text
Are the white spots just large windows?  Cause considering that thing is supposed to hold 14000 people, those windows would be massive.  But I don't think the ship at its spec'd size could ever  hold that many people anyway.
I think 14000 is a bit big a number for the crew size.
also, look at the other windows, those big ones look to be about 2 DECKS tall.
fancy observational views, or shield doors for big guns, i think the latter

Offline CountBuggula

• Fate of the Galaxy
Wow, looking great!  This is really coming together nicely!  I'm not a big fan of the red paint, or maybe it's just the strange way it's striped.  Doesn't look quite right to me.  Other than that, this is a fabulous looking model.  Starting to look like it'll fit in with the rest of the Star Wars ships of the line quite nicely.

Offline brandx0

• The Angriest Angel.
    • Fate of the Galaxy: The Star Wars Conversion for Freespace
I have to agree on the red, While I love the accent it gives, making it look very old republic, the actual placement of it kind of irks me, it's a bit too complex.  I'd rather see it more simplified, as seen on previous old republic ships like the Venator and others such as the corvette.
Former Senior Modeler, Texturer and Content Moderator (retired), Fate of the Galaxy
"I love your wrong proportions--too long, no, wait, too short
I love you with a highly symbolic torpedo up the exhaust port"
-swashmebuckle's ode to the transport

I think the windows are way too large - you can get pretty much the same effect using long clusters of smaller windows, which also help to sell the scale better. Otherwise, great job so far - I'm very curious to see how you end up tackling the blister guns. Is there a reason you went with a rounded engine block? Most versions of this ship I've seen have a big rectangular-section engine assembly.

14000 crew is no problem, space wise - after all, this thing has the volume of 8+ modern supercarriers, and that's 40000+ crew all told. It's just stupidly inefficient, since an Acclamator can run on ~1000 (but then again, the way these things are written up - they ARE stupidly inefficient).

Offline newman

No automation in space, it seems. Everything has to be done manually so you have to lose 14,000 trained officers and crew when you lose a single ship.. luckily the galaxy is enormous so finding new people to train shouldn't be a problem.
Seriously, some of those numbers are ridiculous. What do they all do in that ship? Shovel coal?
You know what the chain of command is? It's the chain I go get and beat you with 'til ya understand who's in ruttin' command here! - Jayne Cobb

Offline Archaic

its actually 16000, katanas have only 2000 crewers, hence 14000 less >.>

geez, you guys just pull numbers out of the air some times, or posts  :doubt:

besides, crew intensive is a design flaw...its even admitted in EU that they are notoriously crew intensive

Well, I think I'll keep them as windows. As for establishing scale, fractalsponge does have a point. I might consider breaking those windows up a bit since they make this ship seem too small for its size.

The blister guns are nonexistent, I'm afraid to say. The closest thing for this dreadnaught is blisters on the guns. Lets face it: any guns inside the blisters would have seriously limited firing arcs. Either that, or the entire bubble would somehow have to rotate into the hull to expose the guns. If that's the case it wouldn't respond to enemy fire very quickly since it would have to retract the bubbles before engaging the enemy.

I made the paint into stripes because I feel there are already too many horizontal lines in the ship already. By keeping the paint lines vertical I hope to integrate the different sections better. I'll look into whether it can be simplified. As for any other design choices on the ship (eg. the engine block), they're there because they look better than whatever the alternative was.

Offline starlord

I was thinking: why not ask for the collaboration of evillejedi from the warlords HW2 TC? he has quite a lot of star wars ships modelled in there already (including the dreadnaught, the eidolon and the ssd vengeance)...

Offline MR_T3D

• Personal Text
I was thinking: why not ask for the collaboration of evillejedi from the warlords HW2 TC? he has quite a lot of star wars ships modelled in there already (including the dreadnaught, the eidolon and the ssd vengeance)...
the detail on these ones are often a fair bit better than what I've seen in warlords.
plus its cool to see the re-imaginings of many of the offscreen ships such as the E-wing

Offline chief1983

• Still lacks a custom title
  • ⬇️⬆️⬅️⬅️🅰➡️⬇️
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Fate of the Galaxy
Yeah we're going for first-person levels of details here, and while the ships in in Warlords look great in HW2, I really don't think they're going to scale up appropriately to FSO.
Fate of the Galaxy - Now Hiring!  Apply within | Diaspora | SCP Home | Collada Importer for PCS2
Karajorma's 'How to report bugs' | Mantis
#freespace | #scp-swc | #diaspora | #SCP | #hard-light on EsperNet

"You may not sell or otherwise commercially exploit the source or things you created based on the source." -- Excerpt from FSO license, for reference

Nuclear1:  Jesus Christ zack you're a little too hamyurger for HLP right now...
iamzack:  i dont have hamynerge i just want ptatoc hips D:
redsniper:  Platonic hips?!
iamzack:  lays

Offline Dragon

• Citation needed
  • The sky is the limit.
FoTG already uses (or used) some Warlords ships as placeholders.
Models for FSO need to me way more detailed, at least if you're going for high quality, like FoTG.

well all i gotta say is, cool ship :) cant wait for the finished product
-regards
 Spyder

Here's an update on the colouration. I took some cues from the starshuttle. I've tried making the windows into clusters, and so far I can't test it in-game because the ship won't convert to pof. Is there a limit on polies for a single object?

[attachment deleted by admin]