Author Topic: nominating someone (no "e" in "nominating", dammit!)  (Read 5856 times)

Offline Bobboau

• Just a MODern kinda guy
    Just MODerately cool
    And MODest too
nominating someone (no "e" in "nominating", dammit!)
another forum I frequent has someone making a battlestar, I think they could prove useful, but they seem reluctant to post it here, be sure to look on the second page where it really starts looking good.

http://warpstorm.com/forum/index.php?topic=40574
« Last Edit: June 02, 2010, 03:02:29 am by Jeff Vader »
Bobboau, bringing you products that work... in theory
learn to use PCS
creator of the ProXimus Procedural Texture and Effect Generator
My latest build of PCS2, get it while it's hot!
PCS 2.0.3

DEUTERONOMY 22:11
Thou shalt not wear a garment of diverse sorts, [as] of woollen and linen together

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
I can't see anything on that page without registering on Warpstorm unfortunately. Can you post a pic over here so I can see if it's worth it?

Why are they reluctant BTW? We do need good modellers quite badly but we need self-starters really.
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

Offline Bobboau

Just MODerately cool
    And MODest too
he says "I'm too caught up in modeling to do it"

I had forgotten WS doesn't let you browse without being logged in...

its geared towards rendering, but I think it could easily be worked into a game model.
learn to use PCS
PCS 2.0.3

Thou shalt not wear a garment of diverse sorts, [as] of woollen and linen together

Offline FraktuRe

• Not stupid enough
  • Cheesy oneliner, *****es!
    • Fraktured Reality
She's not bad looking, but I think she looks too similar to the Theseus.
Or something.
There’s nothing like the truth skewed into the mind of the insane.
- Fraktured Reality
The artist formerly known as Cl1nt.

Offline Bobboau

Just MODerately cool
    And MODest too
the guy totally didn't even know about this project so think of this more as talking about the guy making it, than the thing he's making. I also think he could stand some more feedback, his first version and a half was not that great, but with some talk from us he improved it greatly.
learn to use PCS
PCS 2.0.3

Offline Meleardil

• Meleardil Eressea Iluvadan
Come on! :D There are things on this battlestar which was "invented" specifically for Theseus. The heightened cylinder for the insignia. The phoenix is modelled on it, not painted. There is a nameplate on the spine exactly where you can find it on Theseus. There are 3 arms, bonded to the spine. The spine itself is a Theseus speciality. The spine-arm connection with the bandages look exactly as they look on Theseus. The frontside of the nose looks exactly like on Theseus, and the whole jaw section is very similar, even the 2 step neck looks the same. Along the sides of the main hull the indent and the ribbing around it comes from Theseus too. There is a zipper-like plating line on the sides of the arms. These things do not appear on any other battlestars on the net.

This ship is clearly the merging of Galactica and my previous Sobek game mesh. Some gun placement, the whole engine section, the single deck pods are Galactica's.

I like the ship. With some fine tuning, it could be a rushjob prototype of the Sobek class. Some Galactica-Theseus inbetween.
"I think it is impossible to really understand somebody, what they want, what they believe, and not love them the way they love themselves."
Speaker for the Dead

Offline newman

It's possible someone came up with a design similar to the Theseus on his own, so let's not start pointing fingers - even if the spine and the whole side view look like a Theseus ripoff. The design itself needs a few tweaks as some of the proportions come off as odd; the pods are too thin and flat, the head small and could use some more curves, etc. As it is, the whole shape looks a bit.. raw to me.
Now, with the rest of Slayer's and canon designs we yet need to do, we really don't need this one. What we do need is artists who can uvw and texture their models on a level satisfying our standards. This was said before but I'll say it again: we don't need modelers only.
Also, every now and then somebody offers us some ship he/she found that doesn't belong to them, assuming the original author is even interested in working with us. That's also not really needed, and one hell of an assumption to make. Let people apply themselves. If you think they might be interested link them to our forums/site/moddb page; if they want to join they can contact us from there.
« Last Edit: April 25, 2010, 03:47:44 am by newman »
You know what the chain of command is? It's the chain I go get and beat you with 'til ya understand who's in ruttin' command here! - Jayne Cobb

Offline Bobboau

Just MODerately cool
    And MODest too
cause all y'all haters might find it interesting, here are some updates

some suggested changes to the design.
learn to use PCS
PCS 2.0.3

Offline Wolfy

Re: nominateing someone
I can't say im so fond of the idea with 4 bays done like that, it's just... no. The way pegasus had 4 bays, that was done properly, but i just dont like the diagramed version :S
Wolfy - Ship Modeler for SBP07

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
  • Nothing personal, just tech support.
    • Steam
    • Twitter
It just looks really, really complicated for no real benefit.

These ships are meant to go into combat, aren't they? Sticking big rotating things that need to be opened for them to do combat ops (and which might be disabled by enemy fire) is .... wrong. Just wrong.
If I'm just aching this can't go on
I came from chasing dreams to feel alone
There must be changes, miss to feel strong
I really need lifе to touch me
--Evergrey, Where August Mourns

Offline newman

I don't find the design so hot anyway, for reasons outlined before. However.. the modeling looks sound. So, if the author:

1) Can do game grade models (optimized low poly but still looks good)
2) Can UVW map and texture (can't stress this enough, just modeling without this doesn't do us much good), and
3) Is willing to join, work and not disappear after a month,

he just needs to apply following the instructions in our recruitment thread.
You know what the chain of command is? It's the chain I go get and beat you with 'til ya understand who's in ruttin' command here! - Jayne Cobb

Offline Bobboau

Just MODerately cool
    And MODest too
yeah, at this point this thread is now more of a "hey look at this thing" thread.

and all of you think the sliding bays of Galactica are any less "complicated for no real benefit"? I would argue rotating is less mechanically complicated and more rugged, less likely to be disabled. the point? to prevent an enemy from landing a direct hit in the relatively soft interior of the fighter bay. the armor on the outside of the ship might be able to withstand a nuke, but I doubt the flight deck would prove to be as durable.
learn to use PCS
PCS 2.0.3

Offline newman

Well, instead of having two mechanisms that retract the pods you now need 4. The forward cross section of the ship doesn't get as small/narrow as with retracting (somewhat defeating the purpose of older FTLs needing this), and also while retracted the pods get less protection due to them not partially retracting into the hull indentations. As we've seen in BSG pilots sometimes perform combat landings while the pods are being retracted - good luck pulling that one off it the damn thing is rotating. So all in all, we get the "USS Voyager" syndrome; let's rotate some ship parts for no real reason :) It also starts a battlestar down the transformers road (and no, that's not a good thing).

Offline Master_Drow

• Theseus CIC officer.
I think the rotating part that he was against was not the fact that the pods had to move it was that in the way they move.

For the Galactica the pods moved out and the hydraulics that pushed/pulled the pods were covered under the arms. The heavily armored arms that were all but nestled in the Galactica. To even get a good shot at disabling the Galactica pods a fighter pilot would have to basically fly between the extended pod and the main body, not an easy thing when the flak cannons are firing, also I would be amazed if any pilot (ok maybe Starbuck) could fly into that small gap, disable enough hydraulics, and then fly back out of the gap all without hitting either wall or end of the gap.

But for a lifting pod design like that a capital class ship could just park level with the side of the battlestar and take its hydraulics with long rang weapons all while sitting behind its fighter and flak screens. And even if its hydraulics were armored a cap ship would just have to pound on it for a bit and boom they would damage enough hydraulics after a few salvos at most (remember the hole in the Galactica's armor after almost every cylon encounter).

Offline Richard

There is an othere modeler here : http://www.3dvf.com/forum/3dvf/WorkInProgress/3D/battlestar-galactica-sujet_1544_1.htm

This is a WIP but look on page 5 about =D
1 million and more poly ^^

Offline karajorma

• Administrator
There are lots of modellers who are working on high poly BSG models. It's rather pointless to talk about them as potential team members unless they are at least willing to meet us halfway and actually join this forum. If they can't be bothered to even do that, why on Earth would we think that they would actually do any work for us?

Offline newman

To be perfectly honest, I personally find somebody nominating someone else as a potential team member they don't even know, have talked to, or know for a fact they'd even be interested, to be pretty annoying. If you're that certain a person would be great for this team, then contact them and tell them about the project yourselves. This process where you see someone do something BSG-ish that you like and nominate that person as a team member without even talking to that person first is nothing more then wishful thinking.

Offline Bobboau

Just MODerately cool
    And MODest too
yeah, at this point this thread is now more of a "hey look at this thing" thread.
learn to use PCS
PCS 2.0.3

Offline karajorma

• Administrator
Except that other people are posting in it and telling us to recruit people too.

Offline newman

Re: nominating someone (no "e" in "nominating", dammit!)
Indeed. That last comment of mine wasn't aimed at you, Bobboau. See what kara said and the last few posts above it and you'll see what I mean.