Author Topic: Interface - Command Briefing  (Read 857 times)

Offline TopAce

• Stalwart contributor
  • FREDder, FSWiki editor, and tester
Interface - Command Briefing
Another "It should work, but it doesn't"-kind of problem.

I'm trying to get my custom Command Briefing into the game. It's in Mod Folder\data\interface as 2_CommandBrief.pcx (8-bit as it must be). I tried both 1024x768 and 1152x864 (the latter is my default, as I'm on widescreen).

Funny thing is that I already managed to get a custom mission loading screen into the game. I got it working no problem, and it has worked ever since, on both my old computer and my new one. I used the same technique as before, which is the following:

- Take an in-game screenshot, open it in GIMP
- Open the default Volition interface art on layer 2
- Erase some parts of layer 2 to make parts of the background layer visible
- Convert to 8-bit, save as PCX

IrfanView and GIMP can view my new CB PCX as it should, but in game, I get the default FS2 CB background.

Does anyone know about a pitfall that I might have run into?
My community contributions - Get my campaigns from here.

I already announced my retirement twice, yet here I am. If I bring up that topic again, don't believe a word.

Offline Talon 1024

• How do you turn this on?
    • Mods, Games, and Stuff
Re: Interface - Command Briefing
Are you running your mod with the mediavps? The interface art in the mediavps is in DDS format, and FSO will always load DDS or TGA textures first.

Try converting your PCX to an uncompressed DDS and see if it works...
To understand religion, you need to understand morality first. | WCSaga website | WCSaga Forum | 158th website | 158th forum | Project Leader: WC: Hostile Frontier | WCHF Thread at CIC | Wing Blender | Twist of Fate | Multipart turrets on angled surfaces, tutorial included. | My Google Drive stuff | To convert speeds from WC to WCS, multiply both the cruise speed and the Afterburner speed by 0.15625 (5/32)

FS2 Mods I'm waiting on: Inferno 10th Anniversary
Current Project: Contestant Android app, Learn4Life iOS app, Blender Commander (importer).
The FreeSpace Font Foundry is back in action!

Offline TopAce

• Stalwart contributor
I run with MediaVPs, yes. I'll try your conversion advice, but the game can load my 8-bit 2_LoadingBG.pcx.

[EDIT]It works only without the MediaVPs.
« Last Edit: May 01, 2010, 01:11:25 pm by TopAce »

I already announced my retirement twice, yet here I am. If I bring up that topic again, don't believe a word.

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
  • Nothing personal, just tech support.
    • Steam
    • Twitter
*Ahem*

I would recommend looking into Flaming_Sword's interface templates.

That said, you should probably use dds or png for the image, and 2_Commandbriefb as the filename.
The reason for the filename change is that FSO will look for CommandbriefB first, as that one is better suited for longer CB texts, IIRC.

On an artsy note, using pcx is not recommended, as it will make things look unnecessarily ugly.
If I'm just aching this can't go on
I came from chasing dreams to feel alone
There must be changes, miss to feel strong
I really need lifе to touch me
--Evergrey, Where August Mourns

Offline TopAce

• Stalwart contributor
Adding the -b suffix did the trick. Thanks.