Right, recently on a forum I post on, one of the devs decided to post a game that he and several friends have been working on which is finally reaching fruition. I am just going to quote his post from the forum I visit, and then direct you to the thread in question on the other forum, because the devs visit that forum frequently (in fact, many started out there.) I will add my personal impression before hand though, having read their material and talked to the dev in question - It's going to be awesome.
Well, what is it?
A 4X/RTS by Blind Mind Studios (our studio's first game) that's currently in development and shooting for a June/early-July release.
Gameplay Teaser 1 (Teaser 2 coming soon in HD and with more gameplay footage)
Wallpaper 1 (1440 x 900)
So what do you do?
Ensure the survival of your species through whatever means you see fit. You have access to a full suite of resources to help you do so from creating new ship designs to specifying how you would like your Empire to expand to managing your empire's diplomatic policies.
As you play you'll unlock new technologies in a dynamic web, find unique phenomena, participate in huge battles, manage a complex and powerful diplomacy system, and design and modify your ships and strategies. Empires will declare war on you, your scientists will discover breakthroughs which can put you well ahead of your time, you can outfit your planets, stations, and stars with highly advanced technology and turn your stations into roving dealers of death.
The Galaxy will change, with or without you, and it's your job to make sure that your species is there to see it through.
Interesting, but can I get an actual feature list?
You're selling this for how much?
- A fully customizable and new experience each time you play:
- A dynamic, 5 to 700 (or beyond 4000, with powerful rigs) system, procedurally-generated galaxy, which may be altered over the course of the game (create and destroy stars, planets, and other interstellar phenomena; turn stars into powerful platforms, etc.)
- Bring Your Own Ship (Choose their components, sizes, the AI which governs them, and their scale (from the size of a boat to the size of the whole galaxy))
- Create your own race or choose from a set of races which ship with the game.
- A research web which shuffles every playthrough
- AIs which adapt to player actions by modifying their ships to counter yours
- Complex diplomatic interaction between empires and races
- Rich, diverse, planets whose type, size, number of moons, and other characteristics vary.
- Save and load your custom ships and settings to your profile for easy importation and exportation.
- Extensive mod support
- Almost the entire game is modable by an editor as simple as Notepad
- Built in tools to ease mod creation including: Particle System editor, and Model configurator.
- Example mods and scripts which ship with the game to provide scripters and modders an easy way to see how modifying Star Ruler works
- Smart use of AngelScript allows users to create entirely new gamemodes, gameplay, and online experiences
- Lots of Meat for your Carnage
- Massive ship battles fought in real-time with particle effects and location-based damage
- Ships whose individual components can be compromised, destroyed, disabled, repaired, and renovated
- Catastrophic failure of critical systems (such as a fuel tank exploding near a munitions cache which detonates, damaging the ship's power supply and control systems, leading to the failure of life support systems and imminent crew death if the ship isn't rescued or if the crew can't repair the systems in time)
- Subsystems such as Bulkheads and Coolant Systems which modify internal components, adding that extra 'oomph' or extra bit of armor to protect against the exploitation of critical systems in ship designs.
- Fully simulated newtonian physics
- Co-Op, Team/Objective based play, Competitive play, and Single play (Skirmish)
- Up to 4+ players playing simultaneously, with drop-in-drop-out compatibility
- Supports both internet and LAN play
- Standard server controls
- Seamless transitioning: Multiplayer games can be saved and then played in Singleplayer and then brought back up in Multiplayer.
- Easy to use interface, complex gameplay.
- Planetary governers which intelligently govern planets using a simple, easy-to-use, language which may be modified on-the-fly by the player to quickly and efficiently manage their entire Empire without much of the micromanagement typically involved; allowing the player to set their assets up and step in to directly control them without them getting in the way.
- Ships have their own fuel stores, power supply, and et cetera.; all represented in a very visible, easy-to-read, format along with visual cues to keep the focus on the battles, not the numbers.
- Numerous easy-to-use interfaces which provide quick solutions to specific problems, all of them moddable by the player for maximum comfort.
- Much more to come!
- As time goes on, more and more features, graphics updates, and so on will be added to Star Ruler. We won't be satisfied until we're the best in the genre.
$24.99 USD / £16.35 GBP / €18.99 Euro
Okay, and will this have DRM?
No. Our company belief is that DRM is: too intrusive, too easily defeated, too hardware/software-error prone, and too much of a time-and-effort investment to be worth it; especially when that time and effort could be spent on adding value to the game.
Minimum (lowest tested):
Operating System: Windows XP, Vista, 7
CPU: 2 Cores, 2.0 GHz (1 Core w/ Hyperthreading supported)
System Memory: 512 MB
Graphics Memory: 256 MB
Graphics Driver: OpenGL 2.1 or better
Screen Resolution: 1024x768 or Higher
Free Hard Drive Space: 500 MB
CPU: 4 Cores, 2.5 GHz
System Memory: 1024 MB
Graphics Memory: 512 MB
(Still under construction)
The official Star Ruler website on Blind Mind Studios
You can contact me directly at: