Author Topic: PlanetMaker Program  (Read 10904 times)

Offline Aardwolf

• Minecraft
PlanetMaker Program
Originally shown in the Celestial Objects Thread, I decided this was starting to be kind of a thread-hog (especially considering that between the different versions there isn't all that much changed).

I've added quasi-adaptive multi-sample antialiasing. Basically, it goes through and figures out how many samples to use for each texel, based on how close the ray through the center of that texel comes to the edge of the planet. Closer to the edge means more samples. Then it goes through the texture (i.e. the result) again, and for each texel it does that many samples, averages the colors of each sample in that texel, and converts the result to the pixel format (4 unsigned bytes).

Sample result:

Offline Enigmatic Entity

• Exemplar Essayer
  • Amigo ad infinitum.
Re: PlanetMaker Program
Is it easier to use this than draw it in GIMP? I have no idea how to use GIMP properly at the moment, and the planet tutorials are long...
Juvenescence and multifariousness is eternal.

Offline BloodEagle

• Bleeding Paradox!
    • Steam
* BloodEagle wonders if the program will be released.

Offline Aardwolf

• Minecraft
I'm still experimenting with a lot of things.

Speaking of which, here's an experimental sickly-greenish planet:

Offline Enigmatic Entity

• Exemplar Essayer
  • Amigo ad infinitum.
That is a disgusting planet - imagine what species you'd find on that! :tongue: - Actually, I haven't seen a planet like that in FS2 or similar, it would make for an interesting campaign, perhaps?
Juvenescence and multifariousness is eternal.

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
  • Nothing personal, just tech support.
    • Steam
    • Twitter
It's a bit bland.

No, strike that, it's very bland.
If I'm just aching this can't go on
I came from chasing dreams to feel alone
There must be changes, miss to feel strong
I really need lifе to touch me
--Evergrey, Where August Mourns

Offline Aardwolf

• Minecraft
Hm yeah, needs some more detail. I changed the texture mapping so that the u axis now corresponds to longitude and the v axis corresponds to latitude. That said, it's very hard to edit a 2D texture and have the scale, proportions, etc. match the 3d sphere properly.

Offline Retsof

• Sanity is over-rated.
it's very hard to edit a 2D texture and have the scale, proportions, etc. match the 3d sphere properly.
Mabe something that imitates the polar coordinates filter in GIMP?
:::PROUD VASUDAN RIGHTS SUPPORTER:::

"Get off my forum" -General Battuta
I can't help but hear a shotgun cocking with this.

Offline Aardwolf

• Minecraft
Problem is I would need to somehow transform the brushes/filters/stuff... Using a round brush in an area where the texture is stretched, for example, would make an oppositely stretched shape on the planet. And that's no good.

Also, another big render of that green thing.

http://img269.imageshack.us/img269/8601/2010513201104.png crummy version

I haven't made any significant changes to the appearance, but I've been working on the code a bunch. I'm noticing some weird vertical lines, though... originally I thought that there was something wrong with my texture filtering, but now I'm thinking it's just the limitation of 256 possible height values not playing nicely with the lighting. :blah:

Edit: GTFO, ugly image! A good render's ready:

« Last Edit: May 13, 2010, 11:26:04 pm by Aardwolf »

The terminator is very, very sharp on these latest ones. The previous images were better at that.

Offline Aardwolf

• Minecraft
Hm, you're right. I'm not sure what changed that could be causing that, though.

Offline BloodEagle

• Bleeding Paradox!
    • Steam
Is this rendering an actual 3d object? Or is it an extension/expansion/rewrite/etc. of the planet-making script for GIMP?

Is it possible to have the light hit it at a less steep angle? (E.g., slightly off-center)

Offline Aardwolf

• Minecraft
I'm not sure what you're asking, but... it's a raytracing of a perfect sphere (i.e. defined by an equation rather than polygons), using a cubemap (now, earlier I had other schemes for texturing it) for the textures. It has nothing to do with GIMP.

And I don't know what you mean with that second part.

Offline Nuke

• Ka-Boom!
  • Mutants Worship Me
im gonna have to burst youre bubble by telling you that planets usually arent perfect spheres  :D

you should also consider using fractals to generate youre bumpmapping data, it could generate more natural looking terrain.
I can no longer sit back and allow communist infiltration, communist indoctrination, communist subversion, and the international communist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious bodily fluids.

Nuke's Scripting SVN

im gonna have to burst youre bubble by telling you that planets usually arent perfect spheres  :D
Yeah, but that difference ain't visible to the human eye :P

Offline Nuke

• Ka-Boom!
  • Mutants Worship Me
thats bs, look at pictures of gas giants :D
I can no longer sit back and allow communist infiltration, communist indoctrination, communist subversion, and the international communist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious bodily fluids.

Nuke's Scripting SVN

Offline watsisname

Bah, that's just oblateness, nobody gives a **** about that. :P
It should all be about the smoothness/roughness.  Fractal terrain heightmap would be nice, but how would you go about matching that to the surface texture without it looking stupid?
In my world of sleepers, everything will be erased.
I'll be your religion, your only endless ideal.
Slowly we crawl in the dark.
Swallowed by the seductive night.

Offline LordMelvin

• emacs ftw
  • VI OR DEATH! DOWN WITH EMACS!
Fractal terrain heightmap would be nice, but how would you go about matching that to the surface texture without it looking stupid?

you semi-procedurally generate the surface texture from the fractal heightmap, based on the absolute height and rate of change (slope). High points are color x, say, ffffff, low points are color y, say blue, median points are a blend of, say, greens and browns, based on a different fractal form. Tweak the procedural processes for artistry, et voila, bluemarble, just add clouds.
Error: ls.rnd.sig.txt not found

Offline Aardwolf

• Minecraft
Like Terragen?

Offline Snail

• SC 5

I think this version of the first planet was better than the final product.