Poll

These are... (pick 2)

... great.  Everyone's getting one and I am too.
... great.  But expensive. The rich guys who won't even use them will get them.
... so-so.  They won't catch on and will be a novelty.
... dumb.  Why would anyone want these?
... great.  Everyone's getting one.  Except me.  I'm very poor / or a cheapskate
These will enhance players' gameplay capabilities similar to how stereo sound does today
These will add enjoyment, but not performance, to gameplay
These are useless

Author Topic: Hmm, these look useful... /me wants one  (Read 4502 times)

Offline jr2

• The Mail Man
  • It's prounounced jayartoo 0x6A7232
    • Steam
Hmm, these look useful... /me wants one
...Actually, I want the Mk. 2 version when it comes out.

http://www.popsci.com/diy/article/2010-05/invention-awards-wearable-woofer-immerses-you-videogames

KOR-fx The Woofer works on your senses, pulling you deeper into the game. John B. Carnett

Quote from: Popular Science
Check out today's featured Invention Award winner, the KOR-fx, a device that makes you feel physically immersed in a videogame.
Shahriar S. Afshar has spent the past five years perfecting a device that pumps sound vibrations directly to your ribcage, intensifying videogame and movie experiences. But when we meet near his office, the 38-year-old first spends an hour talking physics. “The Higgs boson, the so-called God particle?” he says excitedly. “It does not exist!”

Invention: KOR-fx
Inventor: Shahriar S. Afshar
Cost: $500,000
Time: 5 years
Is It Ready Yet? 1 2 3 4 5

Turns out he’s not just rambling. Many complicated diagrams later, he reveals that the KOR-fx (short for Kinetic Omnidirectional Resonance effect) is an indirect by-product of his years of work in physics. In 2005 he was living in campus housing at Rowan University, where he is a visiting professor, when he found himself unable to work because of the wall-shaking bass of the students’ videogames. An inventor since his childhood in Iran, he decided to design a solution that would provide gamers with all the vibrating bass they could handle, while not disturbing anyone who isn’t playing.

How KOR-fx Works: The device translates the audio signal from a game or movie into vibrations that the wearer can feel throughout his body.  Paul Wootton

Then he lets me try the KOR-fx. It’s about the size of a pair of headphones and sits over the shoulders like a backpack. Two transducers, which translate sound into vibrations, press gently into my chest and connect through a small box to any gaming console, PC or music player to extract the bass and other elements from the audio signal. The bass is in stereo, so you can feel the direction sounds are coming from.
We test out music, movies and games. As I listen to the sound through earphones, the T. rex’s footsteps in Jurassic Park reverberate in my chest; in the game Halo 3, I can feel that I’m taking sniper fire from my right side. Overall it’s like acclimating to the new cinematic 3-D: First it wows you, then it just works on your senses, pulling you deeper into the story.
Afshar says future versions of KOR-fx will create an even more immersive experience. The effect wasn’t ready for my test, but he says he can generate frequencies of vibration that act on the visceral nerve system, tricking the user’s brain into believing that his body is experiencing a range of phenomena. “We can induce the sensation of rain, wind, weight shift, even G-forces,” he says. His company, Immerz, is in talks with several studios to add these effects to films.
For now, though, the invention will be a gaming device. Afshar plans to sell it for $190 but expects that the price won’t matter once people see the results. “We have gamers who have been using it, and their kill ratios have been increasing dramatically,” he says. “They don’t die unnecessarily.”
« Last Edit: June 07, 2010, 08:48:35 am by jr2 »

Offline Thaeris

• Can take his lumps
  • Away in Limbo
Re: Hmm, these look useful... /me wants one
Heh. Just read the physical article the other day. Those are pretty cool, but I don't have the funds for that sort of thing.

...And that chap has the unibrow from the beyond!

:lol:
"trolls are clearly social rejects and therefore should be isolated from society, or perhaps impaled."

-Nuke

"Look on the bright side, how many release dates have been given for Doomsday, and it still isn't out yet.

It's the Duke Nukem Forever of prophecies..."

"Jesus saves.

Everyone else takes normal damage.
"

-Flipside

"pirating software is a lesser evil than stealing but its still evil. but since i pride myself for being evil, almost anything is fair game."

"i never understood why women get the creeps so ****ing easily. i mean most serial killers act perfectly normal, until they kill you."

-Nuke

Offline headdie

• i don't use punctuation lol
  • Lawful Neutral with a Chaotic outook
    • Minecraft
    • Headdie on Deviant Art
hmmmm, i need on of them
Minister of Interstellar Affairs Sol Union - Retired
quote General Battuta - "FRED is canon!"
Contact me at [email protected]
My Release Thread, Old Release Thread, Celestial Objects Thread, My rubbish attempts at art

Offline BloodEagle

• Bleeding Paradox!
    • Steam
It looks to me like it produces a large amount of pressure over your heart.  :wtf:

Gentlemen, if Mk. 2 is something actually possible, and not only bluff, this is a revolutionary idea. I can envision these things in cinemas, video games, and everywhere else. And they will eventually become cheaper with mass production.

It looks to me like it produces a large amount of pressure over your heart.  :wtf:

Yes, I guess you should stay away if you've cardiac issues.
But woofers also put pressure on your heart, and the hearts of all your neighbours too.

So this thing is capable of causing injury to those with heart conditions?  Awesome.
17:37:02   Quanto: I want to have sexual intercourse with every space elf in existence
17:37:11   SpardaSon21: even the males?
17:37:22   Quanto: its not gay if its an elf

[21:51] <@Droid803> I now realize
[21:51] <@Droid803> this will be SLIIIIIGHTLY awkward
[21:51] <@Droid803> as this rich psychic girl will now be tsundere for a loli.
[21:51] <@Droid803> OH WELLL.

See what you're missing in #WoD and #Fsquest?

[07:57:32] <Caiaphas> inspired by HerraTohtori i built a supermaneuverable plane in ksp
[07:57:43] <Caiaphas> i just killed my pilots with a high-g maneuver
[07:58:19] <Caiaphas> apparently people can't take 20 gees for 5 continuous seconds
[08:00:11] <Caiaphas> the plane however performed admirably, and only crashed because it no longer had any guidance systems

Offline Klaustrophobia

• the REAL Nuke of HLP
    • North Carolina Tigers
i really don't see how that would add anything of merit to gaming.  feeling a generic vibration every now and again isn't going to immerse me any more into a game.
I like to stare at the sun.

Offline Qent

Hopefully it's vibrating at the same frequency of the sound, not generic.

Offline Mongoose

• Rikki-Tikki-Tavi
  • Global Moderator
  • This brain for rent.
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Something
That looks almost exactly like the Aura Interactor, as featured here.  I wouldn't exactly get overly excited about it. :p

Offline Klaustrophobia

• the REAL Nuke of HLP
    • North Carolina Tigers
Hopefully it's vibrating at the same frequency of the sound, not generic.

yeah, it is, but if i'm going to feel something, i want it to coincide with something my character should actually feel, not just sound in general. 

Offline jr2

• The Mail Man
    • Steam
So if the 2nd-gen ones work as planned, you'll be thrilled.  ;)

Offline Klaustrophobia

• the REAL Nuke of HLP
    • North Carolina Tigers
"thrilled" might be getting a little carried away, but i'd see them as potentially worthwhile.  i doubt i'd get one though.

Offline Galemp

• Actual father of Samus
  • Ask me about GORT!
    • Steam
    • User page on the FreeSpace Wiki
"Anyone can do any amount of work, provided it isn't the work he's supposed to be doing at that moment." -- Robert Benchley

Members I've personally met: RedStreblo, Goober5000, Sandwich, Splinter, Su-tehp, Hippo, CP5670, Terran Emperor, Karajorma, Dekker, McCall, Admiral Wolf, mxlm, RedSniper, Stealth, Black Wolf...

Offline Rodo

• Custom tittle
  • stargazer
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
el hombre vicio...

Offline BloodEagle

• Bleeding Paradox!
    • Steam

awesome! I wan't one of those..

Same here! Now, please excuse me while I go import some titles from Japan....  :P

Double image quote?

Offline esarai

• Steathy boi
    • Minecraft
Interesting gadget, but my response is 'meh.'  I'd much rather grab a pair of jumping stilts so I can go run and jump around like a video game character.
<Nuclear>   truth: the good samaritan actually checked for proof of citizenship and health insurance
<Axem>   did anyone catch jesus' birth certificate?
<Nuclear>   and jesus didnt actually give the 5000 their fish...he gave it to the romans and let it trickle down
<Axem>and he was totally pro tax breaks
<Axem>he threw out all those tax collectors at the temple
<Nuclear>   he drove a V8 camel too
<Nuclear>   with a sword rack for his fully-automatic daggers

Esarai: hey gaiz, what's a good improvised, final attack for a ship fighting to buy others time to escape to use?
RangerKarl|AtWork: stick your penis in the warp core
DarthGeek: no don't do that
amki: don't EVER do that

Offline Black Wolf

• Twisted Infinities
  • Hey! You! Get off-a my cloud!
    • Visit the TI homepage!
Interesting gadget, but my response is 'meh.'  I'd much rather grab a pair of jumping stilts so I can go run and jump around like a video game character.

After a curious Google...

Dude! Those are awesome :D Ordering some now :D
TWISTED INFINITIES · SECTORGAME· FRONTLINES
Rarely Updated P3D.
Burn the heretic who killed F2S! Burn him, burn him!!- GalEmp

Offline Enigmatic Entity

• Exemplar Essayer
  • Amigo ad infinitum.
So-So - I would rather a real subwoofer, you can always put it up on your desk... :nervous:

Since the link doesn't seem to work for people in Aus, I assume they are just some kind of "surface vibrators" that you can buy at shops that sell speaker stuff, except hidden inside a plastic package. I could probably make a torso-suit full of those things (like the $5 ones here) + a Tang Band sub (same place as link) for that amount excluding shipping...if my guess at what it is is correct. It it?  :confused:
Juvenescence and multifariousness is eternal.

Offline jr2

• The Mail Man
    • Steam
So-So - I would rather a real subwoofer, you can always put it up on your desk... :nervous:

Since the link doesn't seem to work for people in Aus, I assume they are just some kind of "surface vibrators" that you can buy at shops that sell speaker stuff, except hidden inside a plastic package. I could probably make a torso-suit full of those things (like the $5 ones here) + a Tang Band sub (same place as link) for that amount excluding shipping...if my guess at what it is is correct. It it?  :confused:

Sort of... but not really.  I copied the article to the first post, see there.  ;)