Author Topic: Can I use mouse button 4 .. 7?  (Read 1966 times)

Offline kir2yar

Can I use mouse button 4 .. 7?
I looked at mouse.cpp and began to suspect that this is not possible.
I am from Russia. Sorry for my English.
I use Google Translator.

jabber: [email protected]

Offline Fury

• The Curmudgeon
Re: Can I use mouse button 4 .. 7?
Not until fs2_open 3.7 which has new pilot file code that supports more keys.

Offline FUBAR-BDHR

• Self-Propelled Trouble Magnet
  • Master Drunk
    • 165th Beer Drinking Hell Raisers
Unless you can find some software that maps those buttons to keys.  Don't really know of any as the question usually comes up for joystick or rudder peddles.
No-one ever listens to Zathras. Quite mad, they say. It is good that Zathras does not mind. He's even grown to like it. Oh yes. -Zathras

Offline taylor

• Super SCP/Linux Guru
    • http://www.icculus.org/~taylor
Adding support for additional mouse buttons won't break the pilot code (number of controls do, and that's a different thing), but it wouldn't work very well with the current code.  Mouse and joystick button bindings are combined, so mouse button presses actually trigger joystick button actions.  That means that the maximum number of possible mouse buttons is fixed with the number of joystick buttons, which is currently 32.  But because the controls are shared you end up with weird bugs where pressing a mouse button may very well additionally perform a completely different action which is bound to a joystick button with the same id.  Fixing that properly, which involves adding an additional id just for mouse buttons, does require new pilot code though.

For more mouse button support now we just need the input and event code upgraded to handle it.  So it is possible to do, I just don't think anybody really wants to jump in and do it that badly considering the control binding bug.

Offline kir2yar

Unless you can find some software that maps those buttons to keys.  Don't really know of any as the question usually comes up for joystick or rudder peddles.

I have a logitech g5 mouse

xmodmap -e "pointer = 1 8 3 4 5 6 7 2 9" --- not working
(map mouse8 (side button) to whell button. I often do it in other games)

But because the controls are shared you end up with weird bugs where pressing a mouse button may very well additionally perform a completely different action which is bound to a joystick button with the same id.

Some use both a joystick and mouse?
I use Google Translator.

Offline Iss Mneur

• TODO:
But because the controls are shared you end up with weird bugs where pressing a mouse button may very well additionally perform a completely different action which is bound to a joystick button with the same id.
Yes, for me, I use the joystick for most things, but because way that FS handles the joystick and my joysticks deadzone is too wide for precision aiming.  I just use the mouse when I need to shoot precisely.

As far as configuring X inputs, I never played with it beyond the setting the resolutions and colour depth.
"I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by." -Douglas Adams
wxLauncher 0.9.4 public beta (now with no config file editing for FRED) | wxLauncher 2.0 Request for Comments

Offline taylor

• Super SCP/Linux Guru
    • http://www.icculus.org/~taylor
I do depending on the mod (sometimes you need more precise aiming as opposed to faster movement, like Iss Mneur also noted), but I also use a joystick when actually playing for fun and just keyboard/mouse when testing code changes or looking for bugs.

But like I say, new pilot file code will give us the opportunity to properly support mouse control configuration, which means the major barrier to modifying the mouse/input code to support additional mouse buttons will be gone.  And the new pilot file code isn't that far off now.

Offline kir2yar

Well I'll wait.
I use Google Translator.