Author Topic: Activision-Blizzard is Now Pretty Much Just Activision  (Read 6758 times)

Offline Angelus

• The Angriest Angel
Re: Activision-Blizzard is Now Pretty Much Just Activision
Yes, EA is known for ****ing things up, however with ten years they could probably manage to un-**** the C&C storyline.

Yeah, but why would they do that, if people are buying the ****ed up ones anyway. :D

Offline Aardwolf

• Minecraft
Because it's not unprofitable?

C'mon you apes, start boycotting.

Offline mxlm

So does this news not qualify as 'seeing different'?

It might. But the whole thing read like...well, they were making interesting assumptions and inferences throughout. That is, someone mentions that there have been discussions about microtransactions, so clearly Blizzard is under Activision's evil influence. Because, like, it's completely implausible that anyone at Blizzard would have spoken about microtransactions if they hadn't been bought. And, hey, three months after the merger SC2 was revealed to be a trilogy. Which is totally something else we can lay at Activision's feet, it's not as though Blizzard might possibly have been planning something along those lines for a while--and, incidentally, is completely absurd, what with each installment having thirty missions and, oh, production values to put those in SC/WCIII to shame. I bet Blizzard was totally going to ship 90 missions on one disc. Or, I dunno, more than one disc. Or, hey, look, a cease and desist order! Because it's totally wrong for companies to change their minds eight years later. Christ.

I could go on, but at heart? They're not credible, because they try too hard.

This is coming from a guy who thinks that Kotick is basically a bad person--see that horse**** about pessimism and fear.
I will ask that you explain yourself. Please do so with the clear understanding that I may decide I am angry enough to destroy all of you and raze this sickening mausoleum of fraud down to the naked rock it stands on.

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
So does this news not qualify as 'seeing different'?

It might. But the whole thing read like...well, they were making interesting assumptions and inferences throughout. That is, someone mentions that there have been discussions about microtransactions, so clearly Blizzard is under Activision's evil influence. Because, like, it's completely implausible that anyone at Blizzard would have spoken about microtransactions if they hadn't been bought. And, hey, three months after the merger SC2 was revealed to be a trilogy. Which is totally something else we can lay at Activision's feet, it's not as though Blizzard might possibly have been planning something along those lines for a while--and, incidentally, is completely absurd, what with each installment having thirty missions and, oh, production values to put those in SC/WCIII to shame. I bet Blizzard was totally going to ship 90 missions on one disc. Or, I dunno, more than one disc. Or, hey, look, a cease and desist order! Because it's totally wrong for companies to change their minds eight years later. Christ.

I could go on, but at heart? They're not credible, because they try too hard.

This is coming from a guy who thinks that Kotick is basically a bad person--see that horse**** about pessimism and fear.

That's not the news I'm talking about.

17:37:02   Quanto: I want to have sexual intercourse with every space elf in existence
17:37:11   SpardaSon21: even the males?
17:37:22   Quanto: its not gay if its an elf

[21:51] <@Droid803> I now realize
[21:51] <@Droid803> this will be SLIIIIIGHTLY awkward
[21:51] <@Droid803> as this rich psychic girl will now be tsundere for a loli.
[21:51] <@Droid803> OH WELLL.

See what you're missing in #WoD and #Fsquest?

[07:57:32] <Caiaphas> inspired by HerraTohtori i built a supermaneuverable plane in ksp
[07:57:43] <Caiaphas> i just killed my pilots with a high-g maneuver
[07:58:19] <Caiaphas> apparently people can't take 20 gees for 5 continuous seconds
[08:00:11] <Caiaphas> the plane however performed admirably, and only crashed because it no longer had any guidance systems

Offline mxlm

I realize that. I'm saying--yeah, maybe it means Blizzard's d0med and/or no longer independent (it's corporate speak. It could mean anything. Though, yes, given that Kotick's, well, Kotick, there's cause for concern). But the screed linked to in the OP sure as hell isn't the way to demonstrate it.

I will ask that you explain yourself. Please do so with the clear understanding that I may decide I am angry enough to destroy all of you and raze this sickening mausoleum of fraud down to the naked rock it stands on.

Offline sigtau

• unfortunate technical art assclown
Who uses forum signatures anymore?

I realize that. I'm saying--yeah, maybe it means Blizzard's d0med and/or no longer independent (it's corporate speak. It could mean anything. Though, yes, given that Kotick's, well, Kotick, there's cause for concern). But the screed linked to in the OP sure as hell isn't the way to demonstrate it.
Er, no, it means Blizzard is doomed, since the head guy at Blizzard now answers to a guy who answers directly to Kotick.  If this really were a merger of equals between Activision and Blizzard, then Morhaime and Kotick would be sharing the top spot instead of Morhaime being subordinate to one of Kotick's suited hacks.
17:37:02   Quanto: I want to have sexual intercourse with every space elf in existence
17:37:11   SpardaSon21: even the males?
17:37:22   Quanto: its not gay if its an elf

[21:51] <@Droid803> I now realize
[21:51] <@Droid803> this will be SLIIIIIGHTLY awkward
[21:51] <@Droid803> as this rich psychic girl will now be tsundere for a loli.
[21:51] <@Droid803> OH WELLL.

See what you're missing in #WoD and #Fsquest?

[07:57:32] <Caiaphas> inspired by HerraTohtori i built a supermaneuverable plane in ksp
[07:57:43] <Caiaphas> i just killed my pilots with a high-g maneuver
[07:58:19] <Caiaphas> apparently people can't take 20 gees for 5 continuous seconds
[08:00:11] <Caiaphas> the plane however performed admirably, and only crashed because it no longer had any guidance systems

Offline IceFire

• GTVI Section 3
    • http://www.3dap.com/hlp/hosted/ce
Blizzard has had ten years to balance and bugfix Starcraft.  That's enough time for even Ubisoft or EA to balance and bugfix a game to near perfection.
You've just highlighted the difference.

As soon as EA is done with the latest C&C incarnation and moved on to the next there is little or no attention paid to the previous versions.  StarCraft received patches for years... I think it still gets the occasional bug fix or minor balance change to adapt to the changing realities of the present.  Unless something significant changes I feel confident that Blizzard will continue that process... StarCraft 2 will hopefully be a game to be played for many years yet.
- IceFire
BlackWater Ops, Cold Element
"Burn the land, boil the sea, you can't take the sky from me..."

Offline cloneof

I would actually not care about this situation, but the fact that Diablo 3 doesn't have LAN support just angers me beyond believe!

There is no way I can play that game with my future offsprings after Activision-Blizzard closes Battle.Net do to /B/ raids.

Offline IceFire

• GTVI Section 3
I would actually not care about this situation, but the fact that Diablo 3 doesn't have LAN support just angers me beyond believe!

There is no way I can play that game with my future offsprings after Activision-Blizzard closes Battle.Net do to /B/ raids.
From a purely speculative point I figure when that kind of things happen and software falls into the abandonware category someone will be around to make it work somehow.
- IceFire

Offline Droid803

• Trusted poster of legit stuff
  • /人 ◕ ‿‿ ◕ 人\ Do you want to be a Magical Girl?
Yeah, and the guy that was in charge of Xbox Live is now in charge of Battle.net 2.0
This, and that explain why it sucks monkey balls...
"So good you won't want LAN?" They make me laugh.
No chat channels, public or private. Impossible-to-set-up private games. Down for maintenance half the time. Segregated servers.

I know its the BETA but half the stuff doesn't even work, or is just not there.

What do we get in return for all this crap? Facebook intergration. Who the hell wants that?

Either they're screwing up development big time, or the PR department is retarded. ("Do you really want chat channels?" **** YES)

Here's hoping someone will make it work before it becomes abandonware, regardless of the illegality of it.
« Last Edit: June 01, 2010, 10:02:16 pm by Droid803 »
(´・ω・`)
=============================================================

Offline IceFire

• GTVI Section 3
Yeah, and the guy that was in charge of Xbox Live is now in charge of Battle.net 2.0
This, and that explain why it sucks monkey balls...
"So good you won't want LAN?" They make me laugh.
No chat channels, public or private. Impossible-to-set-up private games. Down for maintenance half the time. Segregated servers.

I know its the BETA but half the stuff doesn't even work, or is just not there.

What do we get in return for all this crap? Facebook intergration. Who the hell wants that?

Either they're screwing up development big time, or the PR department is retarded. ("Do you really want chat channels?" **** YES)

Here's hoping someone will make it work before it becomes abandonware, regardless of the illegality of it.
The no chat channels thing is definitely annoying to many.  Personally I never had much use for them.  All of the swearing and bickering that went on in those things always drove me away into my own personal chat areas that I'd use to setup games with friends.  That functionality still exists in the party system and private chat still definitely exists although it's more of a instant messaging format.  It still does the same thing and has the same purpose.

It's down for maintenance because it's a beta and betas screw up and highlight problems. It's meant to be there to be broken and it has broken quite a few times.  If this happens when the game comes out it WILL be a disaster but until then it's just a beta. Missing and broken stuff is par for the course.  You should have seen the FreeSpace 2 beta...

Facebook integration is actually kind of cool for me.  Not everyone may find it useful but I like including social media into the mix.

What I do lament is the loss of LAN... I can see why people want it and I will miss it.  I'll still be able to setup games the way I want them to so I don't have a huge persona loss but I see the loss there.
- IceFire

Offline Droid803

Its a lot harder to set up a party though...like really hard. Yeah, it works once you have the people on your friend's list, but getting them there is an aggravating ordeal. You either have to have played them, or know their email.

When I tried, the Real ID system wasn't working (so even knowing their email was useless) so I had to luck out and join the right game on the right map so I would have played with the people once so I can go right click to add friend :<

The system is still on and off. Friend requests just mysteriously disappear even though it said that it was sent. Yeah, its a beta, but really, if they had public chat channels, finding someone wouldn't be such a daunting task, IMO.

The most important aspect of loss of LAN is probably because they're only doing to try to stop piracy. I'm pretty sure that it'd just have the opposite effect. Someone will make a third party crack that enables LAN anyway - the only people this hurts are the people buying the game. They're not letting paying customers enjoy near a latency-free play environment, while them pirates will probably get it anyway.

This youtube video pretty much sums up the majority of people's concerns nicely.
« Last Edit: June 02, 2010, 07:44:39 pm by Droid803 »
(´・ω・`)

Offline IceFire

• GTVI Section 3
What's so hard about forming a party?  My brother and cousin and a couple of my friends play.  When they are on I message them and then send them a party request.  The party get's formed and we go on to play some quick match games. Seems easy :)

The friends list has definitely been funky since the start but it's been slowly coming together. Again... beta so I expect that sort of thing.
- IceFire

Even if it does release in it's current, gimped form, it's entirely possible that they patch in the useful things later on. I'm really hoping for LAN play at some point for my family.

I think the loss of LAN is the big negative factor for me. I grew to like lots of RTS games including the original Starcraft through LAN play because of that low latency. And our country's internet sucks. We're only starting to have good broadband here.

It's too bad, since Starcraft 2 (at least the beta) is pretty good.

*remembers playing multiplayer Freespace 1 through a 28.8k modem* one second I was like 3 km away from that Demon class destroyer... 3 seconds later I'm suddenly on top of it.
VBB survivor (the J master) - five hundred something posts

Starcraft 2 and Diablo 3 both have no LAN? SC and Diablo 2 were some of my most played lan games so this feels like a kick in the teeth. Hopefully this will be rectified before final release or perhaps in a patch at a later date.

Offline cloneof

Starcraft 2 and Diablo 3 both have no LAN? SC and Diablo 2 were some of my most played lan games so this feels like a kick in the teeth. Hopefully this will be rectified before final release or perhaps in a patch at a later date.
Well, to my understanding there is no way for that. Take Modern Warfare 2 for example.

Offline Droid803

What's so hard about forming a party?  My brother and cousin and a couple of my friends play.  When they are on I message them and then send them a party request.  The party get's formed and we go on to play some quick match games. Seems easy :)

The friends list has definitely been funky since the start but it's been slowly coming together. Again... beta so I expect that sort of thing.

Once you get them on your friends list its easy.
Getting them there in the first place is a pain. Maybe they're trying to force people to use the lesser-used features like email/facebook adding, cause TBH, the identifier system was a lot better than what they have now.

Yeah, the games great. I love it. Except that the multiplayer experience is pretty gimped without LAN or cross-realm play. (short of buying another copy :<)
(´・ω・`)