Poll

Agree/Disagree with this new move by police in Queensland (Aus)

Yes, for any occurence
0 (0%)
Yes for any occurence but only after warnings
1 (3.7%)
Only for very drunken public menace, etc. (after one warning)
5 (18.5%)
NO!
18 (66.7%)
Other (please post opinion)
0 (0%)
Furry Elephant thingy...
0 (0%)
Something to do with Mods...
1 (3.7%)
**** off and die!
2 (7.4%)

Total Members Voted: 27

Author Topic: $100 on-the-spot fine for swearing in public  (Read 2154 times)

Offline Enigmatic Entity

• Exemplar Essayer
  • Amigo ad infinitum.
$100 on-the-spot fine for swearing in public
In Queensland, Brisbane CBD at the moment (heard it on talk-back radio) Is this going to far? I think that perhaps a fine for extreme behaviour with really drunk idiots that are actually being a menace in public (harassing others), but otherwise I think it should be let go. People use swear words in Australia, as well as in other countries. As long as it's not every second word, I don't really mind if people swear in public. In someone's backyard, etc. that should be left alone (except if they have a swear party every night or something silly)

The problem is, this could turn into the speed camera revenue raising activity that fines people for very very minor offences.

What do you guys think? Is there something like this in other countries?

Also introduced are fines up to $300 for being a menace in public, such as urinating in the street...
« Last Edit: June 17, 2010, 08:19:33 am by Enigmatic Entity »
Juvenescence and multifariousness is eternal.

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
  • Nothing personal, just tech support.
    • Steam
    • Twitter
Re: $100 on-the-spot fine for swearing in public
Welcome to Happy Fun Land (formally known as Australia), where smiles are mandated, and everyone is required to be nice by the law. Our elite corps of Happiness Assurance Officers are on duty day and night to ensure that everyone is as happy and smiling as they can be.
If I'm just aching this can't go on
I came from chasing dreams to feel alone
There must be changes, miss to feel strong
I really need lifе to touch me
--Evergrey, Where August Mourns

Offline Galemp

• Actual father of Samus
  • Ask me about GORT!
    • Steam
    • User page on the FreeSpace Wiki
I am sorry, citizen, but this thread is currently placed at Security Clearance ULTRAVIOLET. Reading any of the words contained within this page without appropriate security clearance is considered treason. Please proceed directly to the nearest available Termination Booth. Have a fantastic day!
"Anyone can do any amount of work, provided it isn't the work he's supposed to be doing at that moment." -- Robert Benchley

Members I've personally met: RedStreblo, Goober5000, Sandwich, Splinter, Su-tehp, Hippo, CP5670, Terran Emperor, Karajorma, Dekker, McCall, Admiral Wolf, mxlm, RedSniper, Stealth, Black Wolf...

Offline Dilmah G

• Failed juggling
  • Do try it.
Crikey ****! It's a ****ing national tradition to ****ing swear like a ****ing sailor **** on ****ing steroids whose just seen mother****ing batman, ****!

TL;DR version:

WTF. NO.

If they introduce that in Perth I'm going to complain like a mother****er. I think I've heard cops themselves swear in public before.

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
  • Nothing personal, just tech support.
    • Steam
    • Twitter
Crikey ****! It's a ****ing national tradition to ****ing swear like a ****ing sailor **** on ****ing steroids whose just seen mother****ing batman, ****!

TL;DR version:

WTF. NO.

If they introduce that in Perth I'm going to complain like a mother****er. I think I've heard cops themselves swear in public before.

That'll be $1000, citizen. Please enjoy your stay at Happy Fun Land.
If I'm just aching this can't go on
I came from chasing dreams to feel alone
There must be changes, miss to feel strong
I really need lifе to touch me
--Evergrey, Where August Mourns

Offline Nuclear1

I thought that swearing was to Aussies what hockey is to Canadians.
Spoon - I stand in awe by your flawless fredding. Truely, never before have I witnessed such magnificant display of beamz.
Axem -  I don't know what I'll do with my life now. Maybe I'll become a Nun, or take up Macrame. But where ever I go... I will remember you!
Axem - Sorry to post again when I said I was leaving for good, but something was nagging me. I don't want to say it in a way that shames the campaign but I think we can all agree it is actually.. incomplete. It is missing... Voice Acting.
Quanto - I for one would love to lend my beautiful singing voice into this wholesome project.
Nuclear1 - I want a duet.
AndrewofDoom - Make it a trio!

Offline Dilmah G

• Failed juggling
  • Do try it.
So did I.  :wtf:

Offline newman

Generally I'm against the state treating it's citizens like they're kindergarten children. I mean, sure, do that. But there are some things that kindergarten children generally don't do, like pay taxes.. So which is it then? :)
You know what the chain of command is? It's the chain I go get and beat you with 'til ya understand who's in ruttin' command here! - Jayne Cobb

The problem is, this could turn into the speed camera revenue raising activity that fines people for very very minor offences.

Free toilet paper?

Offline Klaustrophobia

• the REAL Nuke of HLP
    • North Carolina Tigers
I voted for the drunken idiot option, but i assume there are already laws against that.  Though rather than a fine, it should just be completely legal to punch drunken idiots in the face.
I like to stare at the sun.

Offline Black Wolf

• Twisted Infinities
  • Hey! You! Get off-a my cloud!
    • Visit the TI homepage!
Do not trust talkback radio.

http://statements.cabinet.qld.gov.au/MMS/StatementDisplaySingle.aspx?id=70201

The only thing that's changed is that the cops can now deal fines on the spot for public nuisance offences. Just saying "****" doesn't, AFAIK, violate those laws, and would never be enforced if it did. Again, the laws governing those offences remain the same, you just don't have to go through the court and take up a magistrate's time any more, unless you want to contest the ticket. Incidentally, Dilmah, we already have[/iu] this in WA. :p
TWISTED INFINITIES · SECTORGAME· FRONTLINES
Rarely Updated P3D.
Burn the heretic who killed F2S! Burn him, burn him!!- GalEmp

Offline Dilmah G

• Failed juggling
  • Do try it.
noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!

I voted for the drunken idiot option, but i assume there are already laws against that.  Though rather than a fine, it should just be completely legal to punch drunken idiots in the face.
Yeah, I'm quite sure we do.