Author Topic: Mechwarrior: Living Legends  (Read 1458 times)

Offline Leeko

• Computer ketchup
  • Lurking since 2009
Mechwarrior: Living Legends
This is my childhood dream. Think Battlefield's combined arms approach combined with Counter Strike's money system with battlemechs. If you can run Crysis you HAVE to check this out. A new release just came out, and fixed a lot of balance issues.

http://www.mechlivinglegends.net/?title=Main_Page

Things to try: Using long tom artillery, killing mechs as battle armor suited infantry, bombing stuff, trying to fly a VTOL and ending up on your head, crashing a plane into a VTOL and getting a kill, reminiscing on old mechwarrior games (try listening to the MW2 soundtrack on the canyon map while piloting a timberwolf, almost brought me to tears), wading through a tide of smaller mechs in an atlas

Offline Nuke

• Ka-Boom!
  • Mutants Worship Me
Re: Mechwarrior: Living Legends
cool. i didnt know it was out yet. give me a reason to re-install crysis anyway. of course its a huge download and since im leaving for the woods tomorrow, i think il just wait a week or so. did they do anything with input? one major thing i didnt like about crysis is that it supported 360 gamepads but not traditional joysticks (and i so much wanted to fly the vtol with my ch gear). if somehow they managed to get support for joysticks into the mod that would be awesome. also i kinda want to use trackir. but thats another thing crysis did not have native support for. of course neither did mechwarrior 2, and that game is awesome with trackir.
« Last Edit: July 02, 2010, 10:36:44 pm by Nuke »
I can no longer sit back and allow communist infiltration, communist indoctrination, communist subversion, and the international communist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious bodily fluids.

Nuke's Scripting SVN

Offline Dark RevenantX

• anonymity —> animosity
Lucky for you, Living Legends does indeed include joystick support.  In fact, you shouldn't even TRY to fly the aircraft without one.  This is because if you don't have one, you are currently locked into having the standard inverted flight mechanics on a mouse (you lose pitch controls for some reason if you try to invert it - a workaround is flipping your mouse around).  However, this is peanuts compared to the fact that your mouse x axis, rather than turning you, rolls the aircraft.  The keyboard does the turning, which is practically useless because you can't aim for crap with the keyboard.  Basically, combine all of this, and you get a control scheme that will endlessly confuse you.  Precision aiming with inverted pitch (on a MOUSE) and an oversensitive roll is pretty awful.

Yeah, it's a really fun mod overall, but it's also extremely demanding for your computer.
I'd say you'd need a tri-core processor at the MINIMUM.  You can try using a dual, but you will certainly have performance issues no matter what your graphics card is, unless your clock rate is absolutely rigged (more than 4ghz).  And a graphics card at the level of HD 4870 or 9800 GTX+ for basic medium settings.  This mod is nothing like the Crysis campaign.  You probably need to get an HD 5870 or GTX 480 to get smooth framerates at the highest settings.
« Last Edit: July 04, 2010, 01:08:54 am by Dark RevenantX »

Offline Leeko

• Computer ketchup
  • Lurking since 2009
I'm running it with an nVidea 8800 GTS and quadcore processor on medium settings just fine. And as for aerospace controls, you get used to it, but yes there is joystick support.

Offline Nuke

• Ka-Boom!
  • Mutants Worship Me
im sure my comp can handle it.
I can no longer sit back and allow communist infiltration, communist indoctrination, communist subversion, and the international communist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious bodily fluids.

Nuke's Scripting SVN