Author Topic: Gaming Supplies: Who NOT to Buy From  (Read 1819 times)

Offline Trivial Psychic

• Snoop Junkie
Gaming Supplies: Who NOT to Buy From
This is somewhat of a rant, but its also a warning to anyone who might fall victim to the same thing.  I'll start from the beginning.

I have a Nintendo Wii system, which (like all Wii systems) will play GameCube games, provided you have the supporting controllers and memory cards.  I like to play it due to my affinity for the Rogue Squadron games.  Unfortunately, all I can find is corded controllers, which makes distance playing somewhat cumbersome.  I've been searching local EB Games outlets to find wireless GameCube controllers, but everyone tells me the same story... only a few were ever made and they're damned-near impossible to find, since most people who have them continue to use them on their Wii systems and don't return them for 2nd-hand sale.

After a bit of online searching however, I found a website in the states called VPGames.com that carried several types, mostly by a company called Kuma.  Reviews I've found of this product are typically good, but the company that makes them appears to exist ONLY in the form of its products... no website, no email, no phone number.  In any case, I was getting quite desperate for a wireless GameCube controller, so I chose to take a chance and ordered one.  First of all, their website refused to accept my credit card because it didn't have a certain security validation thingy, but I was able to use a PayPal account to get around that.

Next, it took the better part of a month before it finally arrived here, since I live in Canada and the shipping origins are in California.  Unfortunately, the controller refused to transmit to the receiver, so it was completely useless.  I then contacted the company telling them in no uncertain terms that I wasn't happy and that I expected them to ship me a working product as fast as they could, at their expense, and cover the cost of returning the defective product to them.  The reply said that they couldn't cover the return shipping, but they could reimburse me for my initial shipping cost.  I agreed and (after a delay due to work schedules and child care obligations) shipped the product back to them, following their return instructions exactly.  I even included a note indicating that I wanted my initial shipping costs reimbursed, as per the individual I was in communication with at their support email.  I was informed when I shipped it, that it should take about 5 business days to reach the destination.  Then, I waited... and waited... and waited.  Then I emailed and asked for a status update... and waited... and waited... and waited.  Then I called their 1-800 number which always goes to voicemail and asked for an update... and waited... and waited... and waited.  I called twice and sent a total of 3 emails, and not one of my phone calls were returned and I received no responding emails besides the automated we-got-your-message-and-someone-will-respond-within-2-business-days response.  I was just about to send another more heated email yesterday, when my wife comes in from being at work and hands me a package with the replacement unit within.

A quick test revealed that the controller and receiver were communicating with each other properly, but I wasn't able to test the controller properly, as my wife had shows to watch until later that night.  So its after 11pm, my wife has gone to bed, and I power up the Wii, pop Rogue Leader into it, fire up the controller, sync the two together, and watch in amazement as the control inputs did absolutely nothing at all.  I tried several different options and activation sequences, all with no result.  My only 2 conclusions are 1, its defective, plain and simple, 2, despite all advertisements both from product distributors and on the product packaging itself, it is NOT in any way shape or form, compatible with the Wii system.  I know someone who has an old GameCube so I may have the opportunity to test that part of the theory.  In any case, I immediately shot an email back to the company telling them in not so few words that they were a bunch of incompetent, bastards with no concept of customer service and sell poorly designed crap and pass it off for quality products.  I also told them that I'd make sure that I'd tell anyone I know who might be looking for a product that they carry, to shop elsewhere.  I even told them that I'd give the same advise to total strangers.  Since this board is populated by both total strangers and acquaintances, its the perfect place to give out such advise.

Incidentally, they sent me the automated email response today.  Even if someone reads the email, I expect that they'll send it to the electronic equivalent of the circular filing cabinet, and go right back to handling their so-called business the same way.  THAT is why I'm putting up this warning.

Thank you for your attention, and patience.
The Trivial Psychic Strikes Again!

Offline Dark RevenantX

• anonymity —> animosity
Re: Gaming Supplies: Who NOT to Buy From
inb4 BAAWWWW

But seriously, bull**** like this happens way too often.  Of course, you're more or less doing the right thing by trying to kill their income in order to make your point: quality is pretty ****ing important.

Dang, that sucks dude. You say you gave your credit card number to a potentially dodgy website?

And now, instead or more sympathy or stories about how it's all happened before and will happen again,
Let Me E-Bay That For You

Offline sigtau

• unfortunate technical art assclown
I think I read somewhere that Wii consoles and GameCube wireless controllers do not like each other.
Who uses forum signatures anymore?

I think I read somewhere that Wii consoles and GameCube wireless controllers do not like each other.
Our 100% gen-u-ine Nintendo Wavebird plays lovely with our Wii.  :wtf:

Offline Mongoose

• Rikki-Tikki-Tavi
  • Global Moderator
  • This brain for rent.
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Something
Yeah, there should be essentially no functional difference between the two.

Offline Colonol Dekker

• HLP is my mistress
  • Aken Tigh Dekker- you've probably heard me
    • My old squad sub-domain
Quote from: Trivial psychic
so I chose to take a chance and
ordered one.

Gamble fail.

Go with your initial instinct every time.
Campaigns I've added my distinctiveness to-
- Blue Planet: Battle Captains
-Battle of Neptune
-Between the Ashes 2
-Blue planet: Age of Aquarius
-FOTG?
-Inferno R1
-Ribos: The aftermath / -Retreat from Deneb
-Sol: A History
-TBP EACW teaser
-Earth Brakiri war
-TBP Fortune Hunters (I think?)
-TBP Relic
-Trancsend (Possibly?)
-Uncharted Territory
-Vassagos Dirge
-War Machine
(Others lost to the mists of time and no discernible audit trail)

Your friendly Orestes tactical controller.

Secret bomb God.
That one time I got permabanned and got to read who was being bitxhy about me :p....
GO GO DEKKER RANGERSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
President of the Scooby Doo Model Appreciation Society
The only good Zod is a dead Zod
NEWGROUNDS COMEDY GOLD, UPDATED DAILY
http://badges.steamprofile.com/profile/default/steam/76561198011784807.png

Novatech a "professional" computer parts company in the UK are freaking terrible too.
They sold my fecking soundcard after I ordered it and it should have been reserved, and planned to have one in by the time my headphones were in.
I wonder what would have happened if they needed all the headphones for sales before my card came in.
Anyway, due to their useless ordering once-out-of-stock system I was left waiting Two Weeks for my god damn card when I could have had it next-day from OCuk or Amazon.
Worst part is the headphones they sent me were ****ed too, and the refund is taking ages too.
Last month this all occured and I still haven't got my money back.
Ridiculous.
"Neutrality means that you don't really care, cuz the struggle goes on even when you're not there: Blind and unaware."

"We still believe in all the things that we stood by before,
and after everything we've seen here maybe even more.
I know we're not the only ones, and we were not the first,
and unapologetically we'll stand behind each word."

Offline Trivial Psychic

• Snoop Junkie
Our 100% gen-u-ine Nintendo Wavebird plays lovely with our Wii.  :wtf:
I just checked Amazon.ca and there are some of the Wavebird controllers up there, but the only ones available are being sold for $51.99 for a used one, and $149.99 for a new one.  :jaw: I think I'll have to be more patient, as there's also another one listed as "out of stock", with no price listed.  Hopefully I'll be rewarded with a more reasonable price if this one ever becomes available.

As another option though, there's also a used 6ft. extender cable up there for $5.35.  Maybe I'll look for one of those at an EB Games or something.
« Last Edit: July 01, 2010, 08:04:44 am by Trivial Psychic »

Offline Flipside

• əp!sd!l£
Novatech a "professional" computer parts company in the UK are freaking terrible too.
They sold my fecking soundcard after I ordered it and it should have been reserved, and planned to have one in by the time my headphones were in.
I wonder what would have happened if they needed all the headphones for sales before my card came in.
Anyway, due to their useless ordering once-out-of-stock system I was left waiting Two Weeks for my god damn card when I could have had it next-day from OCuk or Amazon.
Worst part is the headphones they sent me were ****ed too, and the refund is taking ages too.
Last month this all occured and I still haven't got my money back.
Ridiculous.

That's rare for them in my experience, I'm spent thousands with them and never had a problem.

Offline Galemp

• Actual father of Samus
  • Ask me about GORT!
    • Steam
    • User page on the FreeSpace Wiki
When our house was robbed the bastards stole our Wii, but worse, they had to take the friggin' Wavebird receivers that were plugged into it. So now we have two beautiful 100% genuine Wavebird controllers, but no receivers for them.
"Anyone can do any amount of work, provided it isn't the work he's supposed to be doing at that moment." -- Robert Benchley

Members I've personally met: RedStreblo, Goober5000, Sandwich, Splinter, Su-tehp, Hippo, CP5670, Terran Emperor, Karajorma, Dekker, McCall, Admiral Wolf, mxlm, RedSniper, Stealth, Black Wolf...

Offline Mongoose

• Rikki-Tikki-Tavi
  • Global Moderator
  • This brain for rent.
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Something
When our house was robbed the bastards stole our Wii, but worse, they had to take the friggin' Wavebird receivers that were plugged into it. So now we have two beautiful 100% genuine Wavebird controllers, but no receivers for them.
There were a few receivers listed on that eBay search that Scourge of Ages posted.  Might be worth looking at.

Offline Trivial Psychic

• Snoop Junkie
As a bit of a follow-up, its been a week now since I sent them that strongly-worded (but lacking any 4-letter words) email, and all I got was the lousy some-one-will-get-back-to-you-in-a-couple-of-days automated response... as I expected.  If you send any reputable company such an email detailing your complete dissatisfaction with them at all levels, you'll generally get a please-don't-turn-your-back-on-us,-here's-a-$100-gift-card type response... and promptly.  Clearly their "company" is nothing more than an automated website and voicemail box, with an email account that dumps itself after 3 days and one tech support staff that goes in to work logs into the email account remotely from home or their other job, between a half past eight and a half past nine, every third Sunday and a cookie to whoever got that very, very, very, VERY obscure reference.