Author Topic: Cloakshape Fighter  (Read 7692 times)

Texturing. There's an odd effect that I've found only with the cloakshape model. Surfaces that should be parallel are shaded differently, which looks strange. See screen10.jpg for an illustration. I'm not sure if it's the model or what...

[attachment deleted by ninja]

Offline newman

Are you sure those polygons aren't inverted? Try resetting xform on them, checking if they're facing the right way, and flipping them as needed.
You know what the chain of command is? It's the chain I go get and beat you with 'til ya understand who's in ruttin' command here! - Jayne Cobb

Offline zookeeper

• *knock knock* Who's there? Poe. Poe who?
Messed up smoothing groups (like if you have the top, bottom and the edges of the wing using the same group) can also make shading appear weird.

Offline newman

Also, are you using normal maps and if so, does the problem persist when you turn them off (can do so in the lab)?
You know what the chain of command is? It's the chain I go get and beat you with 'til ya understand who's in ruttin' command here! - Jayne Cobb

Offline chief1983

• Still lacks a custom title
  • ⬇️⬆️⬅️⬅️🅰➡️⬇️
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Fate of the Galaxy
Normal maps can cause it if you do UV mirroring and you're not careful about it.  There's ways to fix it in that case though.
Fate of the Galaxy - Now Hiring!  Apply within | Diaspora | SCP Home | Collada Importer for PCS2
Karajorma's 'How to report bugs' | Mantis
#freespace | #scp-swc | #diaspora | #SCP | #hard-light on EsperNet

"You may not sell or otherwise commercially exploit the source or things you created based on the source." -- Excerpt from FSO license, for reference

Nuclear1:  Jesus Christ zack you're a little too hamyurger for HLP right now...
iamzack:  i dont have hamynerge i just want ptatoc hips D:
redsniper:  Platonic hips?!
iamzack:  lays

Offline Angelus

• The Angriest Angel
Normal maps can cause it if you do UV mirroring and you're not careful about it.  There's ways to fix it in that case though.

how? iirc, there was a discussion about that in IRC, not sure though.

Offline newman

It depends on how you've gone about creating the normal map, ran into a problem with that myself some time ago. Anyway, easiest way to check is to turn off the normals in the lab and see if the problem persists.

I'll try turning off the normal maps. I'll let you know if it works.

Yup. It's the normal maps. I turned them off and it got fixed. How can I solve this? chief?

Offline chief1983

• Still lacks a custom title
  • ⬇️⬆️⬅️⬅️🅰➡️⬇️
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Fate of the Galaxy
I've seen normal maps causing it, but you'll need a modeler to tell you how to fix it, sorry.
Fate of the Galaxy - Now Hiring!  Apply within | Diaspora | SCP Home | Collada Importer for PCS2
Karajorma's 'How to report bugs' | Mantis
#freespace | #scp-swc | #diaspora | #SCP | #hard-light on EsperNet

"You may not sell or otherwise commercially exploit the source or things you created based on the source." -- Excerpt from FSO license, for reference

Nuclear1:  Jesus Christ zack you're a little too hamyurger for HLP right now...
iamzack:  i dont have hamynerge i just want ptatoc hips D:
redsniper:  Platonic hips?!
iamzack:  lays

Offline newman

How did you make the normal maps, that's the question. If you generated them from a height map in photoshop using the nvidia plugin, then the thing you should avoid is saving them directly from a height map to a dxt5_nm normal map. To quickly test this, you could try opening up your height map, saving it as a normal map but in regular dxt5 mode (if you're using the nvidia plugin), then opening up the blue normal map that generated in photoshop again and then resaving that in dxt5_nm mode with the options to generate normal map off (since it's already a normal map). Alternatively you could use crazybump to convert your height map to a blue normal map and then convert that to dxt5_nm. But that's just some ways, I have no idea how you created the normal for this. I do know that using the nvidia plugin to create the dxt5_nm normal directly from a height map creates problems.
« Last Edit: August 04, 2010, 05:00:08 pm by newman »